PDA

View Full Version : GQ to replace split rims - What with?

monty
30th June 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all, firstly, just joined and already had a welcome from lots of you, so thanks to all for the warm welcome.
I have GQ 4.2 diesel with 750R16 split rims. These seem to be notoriuosly difficult to get nice and smooth across entire speed range and choices for tyres getting harder, so looking at replacing with new steel wheels and tubeless tyres. I think 235/85/16 are essentially same size, but going wider needs guard flares. Want to do Simpson next year. So a few questions:
1. Always budget to consider and guard extensions around $450 from ARB. Should I stick with existing size?
2. Some 4wd mags reckon muddies for Simpson type conditions; what do think or get ATs?
3. Probably get BFG, maybe Cooper. Lots of forums looks like people have issues with quality of Cooper. Any comments? Other recommendations?
Suspension standard Nissan, but looking at OME springs and shocks before trip too.
Apart from trips (always on dirt roads, eg Birdsville type, but real off road only rarely), 50/50 bitumen/dirt just getting to and from work or city. Anything else you'd like to comment on re tyres for these kinds of conditions would be very welcome. Tyres always seem to be an emotive issue so some real advice is wanted. Look forward to your collective advice, cheers Monty

growler2058
30th June 2012, 09:22 PM
Don't be ripped off by ARB with the flares mate there's heaps of options eg rubber bushranger or even plastic garden edging from bunnings which plenty of members have
Tyres yup a muddy will be fine for desert and something like mtz (Mickey t) or STT (coopers) will be fine Any tyre brand should rotate regularly to get good mileage
Plenty of good suspension upgrades also. I have dobinson with 4" lift wife runs TJM XGS gold in 2" lift on her prado. In case ya didn't notice I'm anti ARB hahahahahahahah your choice tho
My advice shop and research don't listen to one distributors rants ;-)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p5asaw
Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!

growler2058
30th June 2012, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah and wheels the ol sunraysia steelie is around $60 ea brand spankers

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t5ehgs

threedogs
30th June 2012, 09:43 PM
HI, even clarke rubber sell flare rubber by the metre, IMO I'd go the ATs in 285s, muddies drive you mad after they have worn down a bit, and yes shop around there are other shops other than ARB and probably more willing to sort your truck out for you, you are at the right place to get info for the Simmo. Cheers

Clunk
30th June 2012, 09:48 PM
Iv got Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZs ..... perfect for the 50/50 diving but more aggressive that your standard AT like bfg ....... as growlers already said plenty of options for cheaper flares. Im not anti ARB but I sure as hell wouldnt pay that for flares lol........ have a goo look on ebay, plenty of the rubber ones on there..... also try clark rubber

Woof
30th June 2012, 10:26 PM
I have the Bunnings flares and cannot fault them, just got a set of Federal Couragia M/t, but have not tried them yet.

97_gq_lwb
30th June 2012, 10:36 PM
I have a set of 5 factory nissan 16x6 rims with 235 85 16 tyres it has no flares from the factory .
They'll be going cheap lol
i'll even include the mudflaps.
Be great if you want to slice cheese.

threedogs
30th June 2012, 10:40 PM
Mate just spent $1200 for flares frpm ARABs on his DX, tried to tell him

Clunk
30th June 2012, 11:05 PM
Mate just spent $1200 for flares frpm ARABs on his DX, tried to tell him

Did ya hear that thud and feel the vibrations!!!!!!???????? That was me fall in over in disbelief.......... wholly carp 1200 smackers for flares

threedogs
30th June 2012, 11:22 PM
Yep $1200 but were fitted, that mob that does fibre glass panels only wanted $850 from memory, he could have $400 of beer vouchers or fun tickets

monty
1st July 2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks to all so far for your thoughts and suggestions.

simdogs
2nd July 2012, 01:16 PM
$75 flares

They're in Melbourne but with freight still be a hell of a lot cheaper than $450

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-FORD-MAVERICK-WHEEL-ARCH-FLARES-GENUINE-/290736473077?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b13e83f5

growler2058
2nd July 2012, 01:21 PM
Fibreglass or plastic flares definitely look great.........until the first mud bank or tree is kissed, then they look sh@t

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o45zmc

taslucas
3rd July 2012, 01:29 PM
A mate fitted these a few weeks ago. Cheap garden edging stuff. Note, he did put a narrower piece of stiffer plastic to help hold the rubber edging in shape.

He also made his own mudflaps to suit out of cheap thick rubber.

PS: yes by the looks of it he was scared they would fall off! Overkill on the screws!

monty
7th July 2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts on guard flares.
What if I don't change guards and stick with similar sizes, i.e. 235/85/16? Any comments on this size, and again any experience you've had in this size with eithjer Cooper or BFG. What about Michelins too?
Cheers all