PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Barn door to tail gate?

aussiemale
27th June 2012, 08:15 PM
Those that don't know (and if you don't you'll start to dread my posts) am doing a MQ/MK conversion sort of thing.
Facts are
MQ tail gate is what I want to keep from the MQ body
Barn doors to MK is what I want to get rid of and attach the MQ tail gate
After removing the latches from the MQ (Tail gate..this does get confusing)
and trying to attach it to the MK, have found there are massive differences in the holes the bolts go into.
What would be easier, drilling new holes where the Tail gate latches will attach, or cutting out both areas and welding the MQ part into the MK body.
If that makes no sense, I'll post pics on what I'm meaning if it helps

Brendan56
27th June 2012, 08:30 PM
i'd imagine it'd be easier sealing the old holes and drilling new ones, though i don't have any experience in it, so i'd probably wait for a second opinion :p.

aussiemale
27th June 2012, 09:13 PM
That was what my initial thought was but the holes the bolts go into are threaded. If I just drill a hole, am going to have to work out a way to put nuts on the other side..or have self tappers

Finly Owner
27th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Cut and weld only way to go. But you may find multi layers of metal inter folded.

Tim

threedogs
27th June 2012, 10:09 PM
RE weld the original fitting from one truck to the other, at least you'll know it'll fit. too much mucking around re drilling into who knows what. I take it both profiles are the same?

MQ MAD
28th June 2012, 11:37 AM
Cut and weld only way to go. But you may find multi layers of metal inter folded.

Tim

Yup ....
Once you start cutting theres a few layers in there .....

Throw up some nice decent piccies

This conversion has been talked about alot ,but ive yet to see one conversion successfull

aussiemale
28th June 2012, 07:02 PM
This conversion has been talked about alot ,but ive yet to see one conversion successfull

Always a 1st time isn't there LOL
Those that want to see what I mean
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/00280430-1.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/00280431-1.jpg
the latches from the tailgate and the resulting holes after latch taken off
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/00280432-1.jpg
The three hole grouping from the barn doors
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/00280433-1.jpg
The difference of the latch two holes to the body frame 3 holes..make sense?
looks like I'll have my work cut out, if all fails...will crack open another beer LOL

97_gq_lwb
28th June 2012, 07:15 PM
I would cut open the spare parts one and see if it is a solid plate behind holding all 3 holes or just nuts on a plate.
If it's a solid plate just weld up the existing holes and drill new ones.

Actually looking in the middle i can see what looks like spot welds holding a plate can you gain access into the back of it.
If so you might just be able to drill the spotwelds out and swap the back plates drilling holes just in the thin metal skin.

threedogs
28th June 2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah agree get a spot weld drill, that backing plate should fall off with a few taps in the right spot

GQ TANK
28th June 2012, 09:26 PM
I looked at the going the other way - decided it was too much work.

I still have the burn doors

MQ MAD
29th June 2012, 09:19 AM
Always a 1st time isn't there LOL
Those that want to see what I mean
The difference of the latch two holes to the body frame 3 holes..make sense?
looks like I'll have my work cut out, if all fails...will crack open another beer LOL
Theres more to do than the side lock mechanisms,isnt there ???
What about the side hinges is there a captive nut in the side pillar for that ???,what about the glass/tailgate top, is there captive nuts in the rear roof for the hinges and allowances for the struts in the inside rear pillar ???

The nuts inside the pillars are just a plate with nuts on them from memory,but theres a few to convert,as mentioned alot of work
Its doable, go on be the first ...

aussiemale
29th June 2012, 05:58 PM
I'll have a crack at it the next 3 day w/end I have and let you know how I go, pics included LOL.
One good thing about have the two vehicles is I practice on the one that is the donor.