PDA

View Full Version : boost problems

threedogs
27th June 2012, 05:24 PM
had nothing but boost problems ever since I had my alternator changed on my 5/04 series 3 T/D 3 ltr auto. error showed crank position sensor U/S. Replaced but boost all over the shop, fitted Dawes,blocked EGR even replaced Maf this morning. No difference. Then looked at how alternator is removed, noticed the air pipe/hose going into turbo is loose. tried to tighten but those wire style clamps are rubbish. will replace clamp and see how it goes.

mudski
27th June 2012, 05:48 PM
So what are you trying to tell us? The clamps are shite? If you fitted the Dawes and needle valve and it made no difference you must have fitted it incorrectly. Thats what they are used for...
Check all your hoses for leaks. And the IC too.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 05:57 PM
pretty sure dawes is fitted correctly, boost only goes to 14psi now not 25+ like before. thinking it must be leaking, last truck was a 350 chev powered troopy 75s, don't like these computer trucks at all. the dawes is fitted with the tee inbetween that round job near turbo and air meter the other end tees into the boost guage line. no needle valve fitted

mudski
27th June 2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah sounds like its right.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 06:56 PM
buying one of those 1" wide hose clamps, not saying it will fix it but one less thing to check, truck still seems to choof along ok. Sits at 10psi at 2000rpm and temps are around 315 deg c.

mudski
27th June 2012, 07:34 PM
buying one of those 1" wide hose clamps, not saying it will fix it but one less thing to check, truck still seems to choof along ok. Sits at 10psi at 2000rpm and temps are around 315 deg c.
Where in Melbourne are you. I used to work for a mob who import Silicone hose (the real stuff for trucks) and the real deal hose clamps that NEVER come undone under pressure. They are in Oakleigh. The clamps are a bit pricey but they are worth the coin.
My max psi is 16, and my EGTs haven't gone over 350c with a boot full. Gutting the cat was the best thing ever.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 08:43 PM
my truck has straight through cat, 3" exh. DP chip on 6, temps get up with the boot in up to 500 deg C . cruising temps are down. 315 not sure if you can replace this hose but will have another look. my local bearing shop in Airport west sell gates clamps. hopefully it's sucking air from loose hose or something simple. also doing fuel run at the moment. it's a 3lt auto 04 once boost is controlled better I'll stretch spring in Dawes to get psi up a bit more.

mudski
28th June 2012, 08:56 AM
O.k. Gates was one of the products I used to wholesale. Get the constant torque clamps, or if you can find them the t-bolt type clamps but the ones with the spring on the bolt section. So when you tighten up the nut it compress' the spring down so it will never come loose.
See this link for the Constant torque clamps :
http://www.spareco.com.au/CLAMPS/AUTOMOTIVE-CLAMPS/CONSTANT-TORQUE-CLAMPS/pl.php
See this link for the spring loaded t-bolt clamps :
http://www.spareco.com.au/CLAMPS/AUTOMOTIVE-CLAMPS/SPRING-LOADED-T-BOLT-CLAMPS/pl.php

Hope this helps.

Actually you kind of reminded me that I need to get better clamps for my truck too.

threedogs
28th June 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks Mudski, emailed them for pricing. exactely what I was looking for, factory clamps are useless as they cut the hose when you tighten them. hopefully fit them today and see how the boost goes. Will also replace that piece of hose with some silicon hose if I can at the same time.

threedogs
28th June 2012, 11:21 AM
fitted the Gates hose clamp, no difference only now under hard throttle it stops till you lift your foot. looks like I have an error. bugger. selling a Hilux single cab camper to finance turning the turbo from vacuum to pressure. Costs around $700. I;ll persist trying different things but think its a lost cause. I HATE COMPUTERS WITH A PASSION.

boots
28th June 2012, 06:57 PM
So you are still recieving vacuum via the vac control solonoid ?

threedogs
28th June 2012, 07:00 PM
Not sure, tell me how to check and I'll do it tomorrow, losing power but still choofs along ok, disconnecting the battery over night.

boots
28th June 2012, 07:07 PM
just left of the air filter housing body with wiring going to it and your vac lines going in and out of it opposite the wiring . this is where your ecu controls your boost in conjunction with the egr valve operation .

threedogs
28th June 2012, 07:16 PM
Is that the thing with the three vacuum hose outlets on it?? I saw somewhere a looped vac tube on this after fitting Dawes

boots
28th June 2012, 07:31 PM
Yep that it be it

threedogs
28th June 2012, 07:48 PM
Do all three need a hose going to it, have notice vac hose with round green filter just lying in engine bay, cheer

threedogs
28th June 2012, 07:54 PM
Does that need vac hose on all 3, saw 2 of them looped somewhere , vac hose with round green filter just lying there, EGR is blocked

boots
28th June 2012, 08:24 PM
so you have vacuum hoses just lying there not hooked up to anything ?

threedogs
28th June 2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah that one with the small green round filter in particular, first I noticed hose going to turbo loose brought a GATES hose clamp an fitted today, all these things removed to change alternator,got no clue where everything goes. Last truck was a 350 chev 75s troopy plugs only , I did not change the alternator 4x4 shop did

boots
28th June 2012, 08:36 PM
threedogs PM sent mate .

threedogs
28th June 2012, 08:41 PM
Just had a look all 3 connected first goes back into box behind sensor middle one with round green filter goes to turbo via Dawes and third goes across front of motor under engine cover

threedogs
29th June 2012, 09:20 AM
joined the 3 vac hoses with a TEE, then blocked the vac solenoid with a loop of vac hose etc , drives smooth as now, just need to stretch the DAWES spring a tad to produce more boost big THANKS to BOOTS over this Problem

mudski
29th June 2012, 10:00 AM
Glad to see you got it sorted. I'm going to to RPWallis today to get me some real clamps for my truck. You kinda inspired me to do something about it.

threedogs
29th June 2012, 11:43 AM
Nah its now very sluggish off the mark, boost only gets to 10psi with no spikes with spring stretched, getting frustrated now. I've disconnected the battery for a while to see if that does anything, not hopefull

Took it for a drive boost only got to 5psi with high egts as would be expected, no power at all.

Sir Roofy
29th June 2012, 05:32 PM
theres a lot of imfo on here regarding boost and egts
see if you can find chaz yellowfoots thread on boost controllers

threedogs
29th June 2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks been following that, today blocked the 3 outlets on the vac solenoid as per his pic, dawes fitted as his pic, 3 vac hoses tee'd together. can't see where I've gone wrong

Sir Roofy
29th June 2012, 06:03 PM
maybe when you streched the spring it mightbe to tight and not adjusting properly
the ballbearin mightbe jammed in the housing

threedogs
29th June 2012, 06:10 PM
I'll check that as there are similar chats regarding that. did not stretch spring much ,gee its frustrating and all because I had the alternator changed

Sir Roofy
29th June 2012, 06:34 PM
I'll check that as there are similar chats regarding that. did not stretch spring much ,gee its frustrating and all because I had the alternator changed

take your lappy out with you and double check again other wise it must be the dawes
have you got the needle valve open to much try closing that

threedogs
29th June 2012, 06:43 PM
No needle valve yet, next week I hope, forum member is coming over to sort it out then I'll see where I've gone wrong

threedogs
30th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Forum member coming over tomorrow, in the mean time been double checking drawing from Chaz, at least now I have boost to 15psi and EGTs stay low. may need to stretch Dawes spring a tad more . pretty sure I have an error as well. next week I'll get a shop to re set it if at all I have one. progress is being made, but know zip about computer powered diesels. Need to familiarise myself with what all the components are called.

EGTs stay at 204 Deg C, only rising slightly around town

mudski
30th June 2012, 09:16 PM
Geez if I screw my dawes right in I reckon I'd hit 25PSI. My dawes is only 3/4 the way in...
Heres my setup.
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6317/sam0037large.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/sam0037large.jpg/)
You wont have the black round canister as shown in my pic. My truck is an '01, I believe they stop using this canister in '04. So it should just come straight from the vacuum pump and directly to that tee you can see.
The boost end of the dawes ( not the tee'd end) goes into a welded fitting in my boost pipe.
The Vacuum end ( Tee'd end ), the hose on the left goes to the turbo, the other side of the tee goes to the other tee (in pic) and then goes into and under the dash (now a black hose from the tee) and to the needle valve. It then come out of the needle valve, back out of the firewall and into the Air filter resonator, the air box thingo' right next to the vacuum solenoid where you plugged the three lines.

I think because you haven't got the needle valve in and you have blocked all three of those lines thats where you have it wrong. You only block all three if you are using the needle valve. Therefor not needing the vacuum solenoid to do its job. I think I have said it right. I'm sure someone will correct me if i haven't.
Follow this pic if you are not using the needle valve.
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/images/Standard%20Dawes.jpg

threedogs
30th June 2012, 09:37 PM
I hear You and Thanks will take lap top out and follow your instructions, knew I wasn't far off.

threedogs
1st July 2012, 03:55 PM
Member arrived and attacked the troll using his truck as a guide, pouring with rain out in the open as well, after much stretching,,plugging, putting tees here and there, finally got nev [ thats what I call him] to boost just on 20psi. I'll adjust this down a bit when the rain stops.around 10 psi at 2000rpm and 5 psi at 1500rpm. Alls good, BUT, it feels like it bogs down slightly as if not pulling through the rev range. 100% dawes is right. only need to know of the 3 outlets on the vac solenoid do any get plugged? if not what hose goes to where. already have hose from vac on turbo going to middle one. NOTE: no needle valve fitted. once these 3 are connected right I'm sure all will be good. EGTs stay at 220 deg C. MANY THANKS TO BOOTS

mudski
1st July 2012, 04:32 PM
Crank the boost up to 15psi. I noticed a bigger difference at 15psi from 10. Plus having the 33's makes the car bog down a little more too...

threedogs
1st July 2012, 04:53 PM
Wont that increase over all max boost???

mudski
1st July 2012, 10:31 PM
Meh! I just went and set it at 15psi max boost straight up. If I really give it a boot full it will stretch for 16. I wouldn't really know what psi it runs at any other rev. EGT hover around the mid 150's to the mid 250's around the streets and around the low 300's on the highway.

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 08:30 AM
I'll go for a bit of a drive today and see if any pattern occurs, seems a lot friskier now. NOTE to self::: fit dawes to missus

threedogs
2nd July 2012, 06:34 PM
Here's the update, went for drive freeway etc, once you hit 3rd gear it wont rev and bogs down lift your foot and back into it and its ok sort of, thinking it must be an error, going to a 4x4 shop in the morning to have installation checked, but pretty sure it's right. frustrated as all get out now.

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 11:07 AM
Boost up date, truck was bogging down in 3rd, shite to drive, went to a 4x4 shop this morning and asked, they checked dawes fittings,all good. boost was 18psi, for my truck this is too much it tells the ECU to go into OVER BOOST. backed off the boost to 14psi, nearly perfect now, drives through all gears with just a little bogging down in 3rd. hopeing now the needle valve will overcome this. In the mean time I'll disconnect battery in case it as bad memory of 18psi and Change all Dawes vac hoses to some pretty red silicon ones, getting there not far off. EGTs are 200 deg C around town and lower on the freeway at 100k no load.

big_fletch
3rd July 2012, 07:53 PM
Yer mate, i have done alot of playing around with my Boost settings and have finally got them where i like.. When boost is at 15psi or more for longer than a couple of seconds it shuts your throttle pedal down as a saftey measure. I will be installing a small voltage modifier to prevent this and run 16psi constant on my high boost setting. Currently using low boost around town of about 9psi Max which helps fuel economy massively lol

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 08:01 PM
thanks, backed the dawes off [screwed out] and boost went through the roof again, now its at a spot where atleast its drivable, just............ What happens with the hose coming out of airbox, have dawes going to centre of vac solenoid and other 2 looped off,. are dawes that touchy? need to find answer.

Update, now I know whats what I re did the dawes as per Chazs" drawing, now all three vac tubes are fitted per pic to vac solenoid, now it drives great max boost 15psi. EGTs rise and fall with driving style,,,,,,,BUT still spikes but only to 15psi and only when the speed levels out, getting the needle valve next week but not sure if it will fix spike

big_fletch
3rd July 2012, 09:22 PM
I may have the answer to your problem I think lol.. You say the vac line from the dawes goes to the boost solenoid and the other 2 looped off?? Where abouts are they looped off to??

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 09:24 PM
TO block the solenoid

threedogs
4th July 2012, 01:30 PM
Gotta give BIG FLETCH 2 thumbs up, he took the time to ring me and confirm my layout. like I said best forum on the PLANET, could edit that later to UNIVERSE, but thanks again BIG FLETCH no doubt we'll catch up next fishing trip.

threedogs
4th July 2012, 07:53 PM
Stay tuned as DIESEL SMART are sending me a module to plug onto the air flow meter and a oneway valve for the vac pump line, claims of up to 130Ks a tank achievable, excited by this.

big_fletch
4th July 2012, 08:43 PM
Im also interested to know more about this Diesel Smart Module? Sounds good if it does what they say lol

threedogs
4th July 2012, 08:50 PM
Wil PM you with info

threedogs
12th July 2012, 09:20 AM
Here's the latest, I've Fitted The DIESEL SMART module that piggy backs onto the MAF sensor, and oneway valve that goes to the vac pump. All vac and boost lines plumbed as per DIESEL SMART drawing, very easy to follow. Boost still needs adjusting to 18-20 psi, which I hope to do today if it stops raining. Boost at present is 15ish. truck drives great, very impressed so far. must admit the DAWES is a touchy thing and as suggested to me I"M not going to stretch the spring, I'm putting small S/S washers in to increase the boost. [great having mates who work at the airport for Qmart]. Nearly there just the fine tuning to get it perfect.

threedogs
15th July 2012, 12:02 PM
hi could someone put the link up for Dependable Distrbutors please, can't find a thing in the Archives