PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 1981 MQ Short Wheel base

grey ghost
27th June 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi All,
I resently got invited to go on a trip to Fraser island. Not having a 4x4 i decided to buy one to last me the trip (as hiring one would have cost me a small fortune!) i ended up buying a Nissan 1981 sw base. with a few small upgrades i got her up and running .Thinking that this would be her first and last trip i didnt go overboard with the dollars. with the call sign "Grey Ghost" we headed off with a Nissan STX and a Toyota in tow . She drove amazing !! keeping up with the new nissan and the toyota with ease. The old 2.8 ltr power house did drink the juice though but in low range gear she was awesome! making it all the way to sandy cape and back. now i want to keep her do her up and get her back to her glory days . body wise shes in pretty bad shape full of bog and staring to show a fair bit of rust . the shocks are shot and as i said she drinks the juice! i just drove her down from bundy to brisbane to where ive just moved . im not overly mechanical nor have i ever done a car up before. i know this will be a labour of love but im willing to give it a go . the great thing about this 4x4 is everything is manual ! even i should be able to fix it ! so if anyone has any tips on where to begin or help hints or parts dealer that are worth going to in the redlands brisbane area i greatly accept any advice , info and help ...cheers

taslucas
27th June 2012, 12:45 PM
Gday mate, that's a great story:). Glad to hear you enjoying the mighty patrol. If you haven't done so yet, just jump across to the introductions page and say gday.
After that there is plenty of info here to help the labour of love. You could even start a members build thread so we can all watch the old girl grow to her former glory.
Goodluck with it.

Tap, crackle, pop

growler2058
27th June 2012, 01:19 PM
Good onya mate sounds like ya got the bug! Enjoy the challenge it's worth it. Check out Michelle's mk resto thread for inspiration

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!

Finly Owner
27th June 2012, 10:51 PM
Well Mate May I suggest you have a look at The BBQ at Big Rigsand ask to visit this to ahve a look at what can be done to the ld MQ/MK's. These working bees' are a great source of info and hands on help. What technical stuff you don't know is tradd for your willingness to get your hands dirty aswe all help each other with our Nissans.

Big Rig usually opens his gate to anyone who comes with a sharing caring attitude, all in the forum spirit.

Tim

Silver
28th June 2012, 12:07 AM
If the rust is too far advanced, sad though it might seem, you could always look for a less rusty specimen, and use the Ghost as a source of spares - or if you can spare the $ for rego and insurance, keep Grey Ghost as a dedicated beach machine until it really is too far gone.

Second Tim's comments about BigRigs working bee and BBQ

MQ MAD
28th June 2012, 11:47 AM
There a good ole beast,but sadly age and weather, beach work,off road hasnt been their best friend
Good rust free examples are getting hard to get and are funnily enuf asking big bucks,ive seen MQ/MKs sell for well over 5 grand
Panels you can use doors of the later GQ, minor differences, but do fit up and the same profile,parts are around and sometimes not that dear, but good stuff is getting harder to get
The L28 petrol arent reknown for their economy, but they love to rev,something the diesel doesnt like
New parts, depending on what shop around, usually ebay is a good source, 2nd hand gear Finly owner (Tim) should help you, being closer to you, failling that send me a PM, and ill look here

grey ghost
29th June 2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys , ill guess i should address the rust issue first and see if its worth continuing! ill get some pics happening and some comments would be great . also having major carbie issue atm. just replaced all the fuel lines and filters and she still wont start well seems she not gettting enough fuel to the carbie so next move is to check the main jet i guess!

MQ MAD
29th June 2012, 09:08 AM
IF the fuel filter has been replaced( i tend to run 2 in line filters on these) theres a fine filter just inside the carb, remove the fuel line at the carbs top , its a cylindrical type,these over time can block up
The other issue with these is they run an electric fuel pump ,at the right rear, being at the rear and near bottom,although they have a metal cover, they can cop damage and well wear with age
Remove the fuel line at the rear of the filter, and with the help of another, turn the ignition on, and check theres enuf fuel comin out,point the fuel line away from yourself , or the car,point it to the ground preffered,if theres not enuf or its inconsistent , the fuel pump could be on its way to dead ...
Rust issues, bolt on panels like bonnets,guards,doors are just as cheap to replace than spend time repairing,failing that throw some pics up,there are expensive ways to fix stuff and theres way thatll get you by

grey ghost
3rd July 2012, 07:42 AM
have discovered the starting problem seems my key barrel has "shit its self "! anyone know of a good spare parts near redlands area brissy?

MQ MAD
3rd July 2012, 04:48 PM
have discovered the starting problem seems my key barrel has "shit its self "! anyone know of a good spare parts near redlands area brissy?

Get onto Finly Owner (TIM) he could have one
There are differences between MQ/MK, make sure you get the right one
Ive one of an MK,but yours could be different