PDA

View Full Version : Outback Ideas Recovery points

Pages : [1] 2

threedogs
26th June 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi I'm John and run Outback Ideas that makes RATED front recovery points to suit 99% of Nissan Patrols, also I have one to replace that silly loop on the back. Contact outbackideas@gmail.com should be able to come up with a price for forum members. Remember 99% of recovery points available are just COPIES of mine, they sell them but did not design ,test or fit them, the old buyer beware. Can also get Double row 3 watt cree LED light bars 30 and 45 deg beam from 7" to 40". 40' is 14,400 lumens very bright, as well as single row 5 watt cree LED bars with & 5 deg beam. could do group deal if enough interested. I also have laser cut plates that are powder coated that cover the wheel arch after you remove the seats, just neatens up the back a bit. Also if anyone is interested in custom ST stickers like mine just send a PM, could be your nick name or trucks name, Thanks for looking Cheers John
mob is 0402 267 571

Just to clarify the pictures, top one will fit Series 2,3,4 or any Patrol with 2 captive nuts under chassis rail. 2nd pic fits Series1 and GQs, note can only fit 1 to series1 as chassis end enclosed. 3rd pic fits the GU Ti and 4.2 utes with factory bar and larger radiator, they fit to the outside where bullbar bolts to chassis. Final pic replaces the Nissan loop on the back, very very strong, Also do one with one of those black hooks, but cant get hooks any more, willing to make body and you supply your own hook, I'll get a pic of the back of my truck to explain it a bit better.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=118231

taslucas
26th June 2012, 08:32 PM
Sounds pretty good mate. Do you have any photos or tech info you could post so we could all have a look? I reckon a lot of people would be interested in replacing the stock rear loop with a rated one. I look forward to checking some out.

Brendan56
26th June 2012, 08:33 PM
For the right price I'd love a pair for the front

Tappin trolls
Brendan

threedogs
26th June 2012, 08:34 PM
Will try, that rear one is very strong, from memory broke at over 18-20t .

Winnie
26th June 2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah mate I'd be interested in two for the front. Would like to see what the hoop replacement is too.

Brendan56
26th June 2012, 08:39 PM
As tas said, if you have a couple pics, and some solid specs, And a price, it's something every 4wder should have

Tappin trolls
Brendan

threedogs
26th June 2012, 08:46 PM
All pics are in my phone but happy to email pics if someone can put on the Forum for me

GUtsy ute
26th June 2012, 08:46 PM
As said above, pics and prices will get you sales!

Sir Roofy
26th June 2012, 08:49 PM
As said above, pics and prices will get you sales!

AS GUTsyUTE SAID X2

Brendan56
26th June 2012, 08:50 PM
If you've got a smartphone, you can get the Tapatalk app for the forum, and can upload pics straight from your gallery :-)

Tappin trolls
Brendan

threedogs
26th June 2012, 09:15 PM
I'll get it done somehow, should go to local primary school little brainiacs, Think the guys at local TJM shop are clued up and should be able to help

NissanGQ4.2
26th June 2012, 09:19 PM
All pics are in my phone but happy to email pics if someone can put on the Forum for me

Email them to me if you like: nissangq4.2@internode.on.net

And I shall post them here in the vendor thread for you

Cheers

Todd

Sir Roofy
26th June 2012, 09:27 PM
Seen a couple on the other sites nice tidy unite
ron moon gives you a decent plug as well

megatexture
26th June 2012, 09:36 PM
im looking at some front ones verry soon and would be intrested to see the rear one also beats removeing trailer hitch.

threedogs
26th June 2012, 10:00 PM
i have two styles for the rear, one is a loop that replaces the nissan job the other has a hook. always ready to go no retaining clip as things don't fall up. pulled out concrete trucks with that one

threedogs
26th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Ron and I get on well, great guy, never seems to be in Oz, just did a piece in latest 4x4 Aust on a small camp floodlight I made

threedogs
26th June 2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah Rons a great guy,

threedogs
26th June 2012, 10:06 PM
Pics should be there, OB 100 fits series 2,3,4 the OB GQ fits GQ and series 1 and OB Ti fit the 4.2 ute and Ti's with the factory bar and larger radiator

twisty
27th June 2012, 12:37 AM
Here are some pics of mine (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6196-Shreq.-A-mid-life-crisis&p=151338&viewfull=1#post151338) (just for reference)

17291 17292

taslucas
27th June 2012, 07:54 AM
Sweet, they look pretty tough

Sir Roofy
27th June 2012, 08:01 AM
who would have them up our way OR will you post them out

threedogs
27th June 2012, 08:14 AM
Good to see you like them, you'll never break'um.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 08:16 AM
probably express post them down,

Sir Roofy
27th June 2012, 08:27 AM
ok pm details and price

Winnie
27th June 2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah mate if you can shoot me a PM with a price for two of the front recovery points for a GQ wagon that would be good.

Brendan56
27th June 2012, 08:33 AM
ok pm details and price

X2

Tappin trolls
Brendan

teno45
27th June 2012, 08:50 AM
Here's the pics that John emailed me.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/OB100.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/OBGQ.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/OBGUTi.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/OBRP.jpg

taslucas
27th June 2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah mate if you can shoot me a PM with a price for two of the front recovery points for a GQ wagon that would be good.

Yep, I'd like that too John.
Cheers

Tap, crackle, pop

oncedisturbed
27th June 2012, 12:06 PM
Got any for a 4.8 2009 GU wagon?

threedogs
27th June 2012, 01:08 PM
Yo Kristoffa, you can fit two but only one side has captive nuts, to fit to the other side a backing plate with nuts welded on will need to be made. Plus fitting two means the bullbar will need to be removed.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 01:10 PM
hi, let me know if you have two captive nuts under each chassis rail. Does the 4.8 have the larger radiator and what bullbar do you have please?

threedogs
27th June 2012, 01:11 PM
Now all I need to do is figure out where the PM is, hate computer with a passion

taslucas
27th June 2012, 01:16 PM
Now all I need to do is figure out where the PM is, hate computer with a passion

Click on the members name or picture and a little menu will pop up, then click "send private message"

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
27th June 2012, 01:20 PM
Just to clarify the pictures, top one will fit Series 2,3,4 and later or any Patrol with 2 captive nuts under chassis rail. 2nd pic fits Series1 and GQs, note can only fit 1 to series1 as chassis end enclosed. 3rd pic fits the GU Ti and 4.2 utes with factory bar and larger radiator, they fit to the outside where bullbar bolts to chassis. Final pic replaces the Nissan loop on the back, very very strong, Also do one with one of those black hooks, but cant get hooks any more, willing to make body and you supply your own hook, I'll get a pic of the back of my truck to explain it a bit better.

oncedisturbed
27th June 2012, 01:23 PM
hi, let me know if you have two captive nuts under each chassis rail. Does the 4.8 have the larger radiator and what bullbar do you have please?

I have the ARB steel winch bar, no idea on the radiator

threedogs
27th June 2012, 01:51 PM
do you have 2 captive nuts each side under the chassis rail near the front???

Sir Roofy
27th June 2012, 03:11 PM
looks like the first pic will be the one i need

threedogs
27th June 2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, that fits heaps of 4x4s, too bad the A holes doing the copies can't figure it out, last count it fits 7 plus trucks

threedogs
27th June 2012, 04:48 PM
Just sent Tena45 some more pics, hopefully he'll be able to put them on the forum later. one pic is of rear hook to replace loop. great for snigging logs for camp

NissanGQ4.2
27th June 2012, 06:42 PM
John, Have just added the photo's you sent teno45 2 your original post.

Cheers

Todd

teno45
27th June 2012, 07:58 PM
Couple more photos from John

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/14072011221.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/270620121254.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/270620121255.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/310320121020.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/teno45/270620121252.jpg

taslucas
27th June 2012, 09:27 PM
Nice clean looking stuff John. The "bush hook" looks tough as mate:) So what bolts do you recomend for it? (and what bolts do you recomend in general for all your fittings?)
What is the last pic of? Looks like something for a GU?
and im guessing the wheel cover unlocks to utilise the room in there for storage? Do you do them to fit many size tyres?

Just asking for myself and other people that might be interested:)

threedogs
27th June 2012, 10:02 PM
The wheel is fake, it's hinged in the middle to open up.Theres no wheel in there. Holds jumper leads ,straps, shackles etc. only use GRADE 8 or better and ZINC plated. last pic is a cover I made for my GU after I removed the rear seats. my spare wheel is mounted internally, plus gets the weight off the door. lots of custom stuff on my truck.

Silver
27th June 2012, 10:13 PM
I have a Mav, currently with the factory alloy bar.

I fitted Outback Ideas GQ/Mav style loops, bought through TJM last year.

I used the base plate from the Nissan loop as the plate to hold by welded on captive nuts. I don't really know what effect welding has on the temper etc of those nuts. I bought some long nuts thinking that would help, and longer high tensile bolts for both sides. The alloy bar went back on.

I also fitted a hook to each side.

I intend to use a bridle for all recoveries - hence the hook on each chassis rail.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 10:30 PM
bridles a good idea, but still not rated as you or I would not have a clue what they would break at. bogged to your guts guy pulls up with troll fitted with 454 and tries to pull you out full noise, it aint gunna be pretty. hear stories all the time. best to fit something that was made to do that job whatever it is

Silver
27th June 2012, 11:10 PM
bridles a good idea, but still not rated as you or I would not have a clue what they would break at. bogged to your guts guy pulls up with troll fitted with 454 and tries to pull you out full noise, it aint gunna be pretty. hear stories all the time. best to fit something that was made to do that job whatever it is

Well, threedogs, like you i wouldn't be snatched out if bogged to the guts means down on the diffs, or even more so, down on the rails, without a lot of spade work first. I would no longer be down on the rails. I have a hand winch for that purpose- works forwards, backwards and sideways, and even with a snatch block or two, only pulls so hard :-)

And the bridle is one that is designed for that purpose, and is rated. And if anything is to fail, I would prefer it to be bridle or the strap.

And no one is going to snatch my patrol out at full noise, because I agree with you on that point.

Just edited my post above to make it clearer that I removed the front factory hook and fitted two Outback Ideas plates

Silver
27th June 2012, 11:19 PM
Hi I'm John and run Outback Ideas that makes RATED front recovery points to suit 99% of Nissan Patrols, also I have one to replace that silly loop on the back. Contact outbackideas@three.com.au should be able to come up with a price for forum members. Remember 99% of recovery points available are just COPIES of mine, they sell them but did not design ,test or fit them, the old buyer beware. Can also get Double row 3 watt cree LED light bars 30 and 45 deg beam from 7" to 40". 40' is 14,400 lumens very bright, as well as single row 5 watt cree LED bars with & 5 deg beam. could do group deal if enough intrested. I also have laser cut plates that are powder coated that cover the wheel arch after you remove the seats, just neatens up the back a bit.

Hi John,

I'd be very interested to see that part of the rating report that covers attaching the various plates to the vehicle - I have a set of yours on the front of my GQ, and to a non engineer like me, they look indestructible.

It occurs to me that what could let them down is how and with what they are bolted up, and what the load rating is once attached to the chassis rails, or in the case of the rear loop, the chassis or whatever else is in behind the alloy back step.

threedogs
27th June 2012, 11:34 PM
some early GQs I,ve found have rusty chassis rails, yes they are very strong, I only rate them to the towing capacity of each 4x4, have seen copies rated up to 12 ton but thats just asking for trouble. all the Nissan ones I make break at 16plus ton. never had 1 fail yet as I like over engineering them, they need to be bullet proof. hard to get hold of a chassis to simulate it in sitcu for testing. have a look at the rear hook on my patrol, its pulled out cement trucks from work sites the lot. not as strong as the loop I make. BUT LIKE ALL RECOVERY EQUIPMENT inspect it now and then if it looks suss turf it, its not made to last a life time just a long time. You could beef up the rear cross frame if you had the time it wouldn't hurt.

Silver
28th June 2012, 12:03 AM
some early GQs I,ve found have rusty chassis rails, yes they are very strong, I only rate them to the towing capacity of each 4x4, have seen copies rated up to 12 ton but thats just asking for trouble. all the Nissan ones I make break at 16plus ton. never had 1 fail yet as I like over engineering them, they need to be bullet proof. hard to get hold of a chassis to simulate it in sitcu for testing. have a look at the rear hook on my patrol, its pulled out cement trucks from work sites the lot. not as strong as the loop I make. BUT LIKE ALL RECOVERY EQUIPMENT inspect it now and then if it looks suss turf it, its not made to last a life time just a long time. You could beef up the rear cross frame if you had the time it wouldn't hurt.

so, looking at the front plate - the test rating is for the plate itself and not it bolted up the chassis as a complete unit?

I see perfectly what you say about the variable conditions of chassis rails now you mention it.

There are some photos on here, from Dubai or somewher over there, where chassis rails have been pulled sideways and horrible things have happened to bolt holes due to a snatch at an angle. From memory, it was in sand, but despite that a fair old tug was administered.

I don't think I have seen too many other posts where the front chassis has failed, compared with people who have personally experienced, or heard that the front factory hook itself had failed.

Thanks John

Rick

threedogs
28th June 2012, 08:15 AM
True the factory hook will fail, I've made recovery points for a few winch challenge trucks thats why they're so strong. If those guys can't break them they must be ok.

Maybe if anyone interested I should get custom ST stickers made to order with a nick name or the name of your truck?

threedogs
28th June 2012, 08:22 AM
APOLOGIES think I missed your point, thought you welded the factory hooks to the bullbar. Some people still think you need to be at full noise to snatch, you'd be surprised if done properly how little effort is required depending on situation.

megatexture
28th June 2012, 10:09 PM
threedogs thanks for the pm on the price of the recovery points i popped into arb and even though it was like 15$ more it was just easier to pick em up from there(wanted em asap for boys weekend).
it almost looked like they had your whole range of r-points they were pushing their recovery point pretty hard though and it was 96$ more than yours! for drivers side only, looked tough as $#!t bolting on if 4 places would be great for a comp truck but major over kill for my rig.

not fitted them yet but look quality stuff thanks

threedogs
28th June 2012, 10:34 PM
Hey no probs enjoy, cheers

teno45
28th June 2012, 10:47 PM
More from john...

"Heres my truck, note bigger scoop, has internal vanes to direct the air to front of intercooler. Plenty of light bars , Cheers John"

threedogs
3rd August 2012, 04:35 PM
Just thought I'd put pics of some knives I've made,and making.
most are Damascus or Seki City steel. Not Pakistan Damascus
All Damascus is Alabama or blanks from the states.
Trying to find pics or Redgum + camel bone fillet knive. Small one is upside down finger skinner I'm making for a deer hunter
Black on handles is Streaky buffalo horn,white is camel bone and timber is Burr walnut

oncedisturbed
3rd August 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi John, would these fit the captive nuts on the chassis rail for my 4.8 with ARB winch bar?

threedogs
3rd August 2012, 06:13 PM
NO as you have larger radiator, look at those "T" shaped ones. they bolt to out side of bullbar near chassis

DSzuke
3rd August 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi John, would these fit the captive nuts on the chassis rail for my 4.8 with ARB winch bar?

Hi John,

You've made mention to use "M8" bolts with the captive nuts and the above points.

Do you know if the bolts that you pull out to remove the factory hook are appropriate or are they not up to the job?

Cheers,
Darren

oncedisturbed
3rd August 2012, 07:05 PM
NO as you have larger radiator, look at those "T" shaped ones. they bolt to out side of bullbar near chassis

Cheers for that, not meaning to be a pain but would it be possible to do a paper outline of the that I could marry up with the bolts to confirm they will fit?

Stropp
3rd August 2012, 08:50 PM
Jason, I have a set of those tow points that i have not fitted yet, let me know if you want to drop by and we can have a look. Cheers Stropp

threedogs
3rd August 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks Stropp, here's some more pics of knives I've made. redgum fillet knife and Redgum Sheath, a sharpfinger skinner, a camel bone fillet and a GP fillet

Stropp
4th August 2012, 10:35 PM
Mate some very nice knives there, well done.

oncedisturbed
5th August 2012, 02:50 PM
Jason, I have a set of those tow points that i have not fitted yet, let me know if you want to drop by and we can have a look. Cheers Stropp

Cheers Stropp, Will do :)

daggy
21st August 2012, 08:20 PM
Hi, I am chasing a set of recovery points for my GU. I have been to 2 4WD (not the big guys) shops here in Brisbane and both places tell me that these are not being made any longer!

threedogs
21st August 2012, 08:26 PM
Not true just been crook lately, what do you drive??

macca
7th September 2012, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=threedogs;240300]

G'day John, Im after a set like in picky for my "05 DX Cab Chassis TD4.2TI.
Think I have the correct one. If you can PM me with price and postage to Old Bar NSW 2430
Cheers Iain Macca

threedogs
7th September 2012, 10:24 AM
Will PM now, thanks for your interest

threedogs
7th September 2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Macca They wont fit your 4x4 as you have the larger radiator, have a look at the "TEE" shaped ones. they bolt to the outside of the bullbar. Do you have factory bar??

macca
7th September 2012, 06:08 PM
John, I think mine is the smaller radiator, I have seen radiators 200mm wider easy.
Oul local radiator bloke had a PWR alluminium job he wanted to be rid of and it wouldnt fit mine without shifting the AC pipes etc.
Its 600mm wide if that helps.
Yes I do have the factory bar.
Thanks in advance

threedogs
7th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Yo Macca PM sent, just hope it was the right Macca
Not so much the larger radiator but the support panel.
Not enough room across the flat of the chassis at those 2 captive nuts

macca
8th September 2012, 02:35 PM
Yo Macca PM sent, just hope it was the right Macca
Not so much the larger radiator but the support panel.
Not enough room across the flat of the chassis at those 2 captive nuts

Yes you are correct, got on the scateboard and had a good old "boy's look".
The guard / bracket under the radiator is too wide for sure.
It will have to be the "T" type.
Thanks mate

Got the PM too thanks

MudDonk
8th September 2012, 08:40 PM
hey three dogs can ya get ya hands on a front recovery point for a gq td42?

threedogs
9th September 2012, 08:05 AM
Have a look in my vendor thead, it'll be the flat plate, 5 holes [12mm] ,You can only fit one to inside of chassis on RHS.
You can fit 2 ,but you'd need to remove the bullbar and make a plate with captive nuts to slide up the chassis rail.
Let me know what you come up with

And Macca I should have noticed you are one of the Pod Patrol, as most utes have the larger radiator

macca
12th September 2012, 05:06 PM
Mine arrived today thanks John, they fit the "other" way round LOL

Might have a go at fitting them tomorrow arvo, the crawler gears go in tomorrow so if I get home early enough.

Club has a easy day trip or a hard overnight trip this weekend, with the gears and locker and good recovery points I might grow a set and have a go!!!

threedogs
12th September 2012, 06:03 PM
No probs, enjoy. Use Zinc rated bolts. those ones are tuff as.

macca
12th September 2012, 06:50 PM
Mate,

It was have a beer :beer: or have a beer :beer: and get into it so now I have a pair of bright red ones out front !!!!!!!
Choice was a given really. :thumbup:

On both sides had to grind a little from the bottom of the bar as the shackle pin wouldnt pass through and drilled the rear most hole to get the bolt in.

Had some black HT bolts so used them, we are right for the weekend now. Good stuff. :driving2:

threedogs
12th September 2012, 06:55 PM
Good one , some of the OE bars mount up differently. Just spay the bolts black, and if thats tooooo much red mask it off and grab the can of black spray.
Good to here you got them on ok.

macca
17th September 2012, 01:34 PM
Had to give them a bit of a test in the weekend.

Deep tyre ruts and big ass diff with leaf pack / shocky bases grading the clay I just didnt have enough clearance so out came the snatchy.

It was going to be a sharp pull to get me through, so we had 2 dampeners on the strap for extra safety. We did it OK and so did the the recovery points.

Good gear

threedogs
17th September 2012, 01:46 PM
Never in doubt Macca never in doubt,
over engineered whoops lol

ozzymalone
17th September 2012, 03:39 PM
Hey three dogs. Sorry to be a pain mate but could you PM us the price of One front recovery point for 98 GU LWB including postage to Bris? You have already priced us up the fulls set but the "Deoartment of Finances" thinks I only need the front. Ta Mate.

threedogs
17th September 2012, 03:59 PM
PM sent Ozzy, What bullbar do you have fitted???

Clunk
18th September 2012, 10:29 PM
Pm sent John

Tap till ya can tap no more.....

threedogs
18th September 2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks Clunk, think I've answer your question. There are 4 options for the rear
Can put 2 on the front if prepared to remove the Bullbar.

Clunk
18th September 2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks Clunk, think I've answer your question. There are 4 options for the rear
Can put 2 on the front if prepared to remove the Bullbar.

Thanks mate, you sure have. PM returned.

Tap till ya can tap no more.....

Monty_e
6th October 2012, 08:20 PM
John could you pls PM me a price for one front recovery point to fit a 2003 GU ST please mate - shipped to Brisbane 4054?

Could u also send a price for the rear loop too mate? Thanks heaps.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:27 PM
PM sent Monty, you'll like that rear loop every Patrol should have one, hint hint lol

As I said will be out of action all of next week after that I should be fine

macca86
6th October 2012, 10:46 PM
Nice to see rated recovery points being pushed but after 12 months do you need to replace them or take them to a shop to get tested and re rated and do you have the engineers report for your rating claims and how often and what weld tests do your rear hoops go though. Just so I know before I consider up grading my points

The BigFella
11th October 2012, 09:04 PM
well done John, some awesome stuff here thats for sure. You know how to fabricate some kick arse products.
Those knives look the ducks nuts I might add. I had a fare collection of knives when I was a young bloke, from the standard Bunny Knife to fillet and skinning knives!
Argh, the memories!

threedogs
11th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Just anotha brotha from anotha motha, Seems funny how like minded a lot of us are, but meet here, its like a magnet, Bloodyaussie is same and a few other. Gunna be awesome "around a campfire, Somewhere"

macca
12th October 2012, 07:31 AM
Nice to see rated recovery points being pushed but after 12 months do you need to replace them or take them to a shop to get tested and re rated and do you have the engineers report for your rating claims and how often and what weld tests do your rear hoops go though. Just so I know before I consider up grading my points

I dont understand what you are after Macca, those recovery points are steel plate, some models may have a weld as well.
If you have used them and the have distorted, which I doubt will happen, then they will need to be assesed for safe use.
Do you put you other recovery equipment to the same testing proceedure?
Shackles, straps, winch rope, hook, mounting points. etc etc.
Do you have engineers certificates for them?
Going by what John TD has sent me the plates will out last the chassis, its probably 10 time thicker than the Nissan steel its bolted to.
You will not be dissapointed in his products mate.
The reason I got them from John is there were those cast iron hooks with the spring steel keeper on my ute. The snatch strap / winch rope has come off them due to driving through the obstacle then I had no assistance IYKWIM. Now with this design it is shackled to the car and can not come off, much safer and greater confidence in the recovery process.
Good luck with your mods mate.

macca86
12th October 2012, 08:16 AM
I get my shackles tested at work my 9000 kg snatch strap has. Been used 5 times this year for gentle pulls they won't tag it as its not a lifting strap as its elasticated. My issue is if its claimed to be rated I want to see the proof before I purchase if I can't see the proof for testing engineering certs then I may as well make my own and say they're rated especially with the welded rear bracket is it just a 6mm con fillet around it or full pen v prep weld has it been x rayed ultra sound or mag particle tested if so what percentage of production etc. I can obtain this info for my strap (self checking ) and shackles

Maxhead
12th October 2012, 08:54 AM
Guys, just a quick hi jack but on topic. What grade blots do people use to bolt the recovery points on.
I read grade 12.9 is the go and not to put any washers on as they don't work as well.. ..is this correct??

Also, does any one know the bolt size for front points on a GU8??? (gu5 onwards I think)

threedogs
12th October 2012, 09:11 AM
The front points are one piece so don't require weld, They are tow tested to NATA std, EG one point I Tested great for 2.5 ton, destruction testing saw it break around 15t. I have seen copies with this same point rated at 12t. Anyway don't stamp them all shops or mining bodies can request a fax of the test. they aren't going to NASA, but they are very strong. Sure I can re design them to maybe never breaking. But can't see anyone paying $400 a pair,

Nisshead Grade 8 or better is fine and definetly zinc plated thread pitch is 14mm x 1.50 x 50mm is the size, could use a hi-tensile washer if you like but normal washer will stop bolt head taking off powder coating

Rip'n'Shred
12th November 2012, 01:09 PM
PM sent to Threedogs.

threedogs
12th November 2012, 03:19 PM
Pm found not all stamped as sell too many , out of the thousands sold not one has come back if yo want to make your own macca86 that fine but dont xpect me to give any info one how its made what grade steel I use etc. Good,. Make sure your insurance Co. is Happy to look forward to your , I sell to Rio tinto and other big bodies as well. I cant vouch for to low lifes that had no imput in designing, testing or fitting. I do all three The ones that copy dont and are blalant lyers. ,as I get mates mates to ring and quiz them some are even cut from chinese steel . shite you cant even weld that stuff. this is the very last time time I'll go on about this but if you think you can build a "wheel" at a cheaper price and rated to tow not lift like all the copies. I"LL quit and work else where maybe NASA., Should be interest.ring to see what you rate them at

macca
12th November 2012, 06:11 PM
c'mon guys, ease up a bit.

taslucas
12th November 2012, 06:29 PM
c'mon guys, ease up a bit.

I agree. Ease up and keep it positive:-)

Threedogs, I know you make a great product and can't imagine how pee'd off you must be by all the cheap products out there as you quite obviously have a very high regard for safety. I dont think anyone in this thread is setting out to have a go at you or your products. But every manufacturer out there has to put up with questions about their products. I'm going to get some of your recovery points (one day lol) and I feel totally comfortable taking your word for the integrity of your product, but it would be great to show the actual testing and results that you keep referring to.

threedogs
12th November 2012, 06:32 PM
Get it all the time my points are accepted by mining companies ,4x4 clubs except one guy. I Know my products stand by themselves, They are rated to tow not LIFT like the copies . Don't know how many times I have to explain this to all newbies who know it all. my answer is simple buy the copies Dont but from me it's that easy. and put up with their lies on how they designed, fitted and tested "THEIR PRODUCT" Hope you are happy with their lifting rating, Then you can start another thread I brought cheap unrated recovery points.I do this for a living a dont trace other peoples products and sell them. Some cant even come up with an original product of their own, and they know who they are,. No more to be said unless I get kicked off forum for speaking the thruth., Sorry Macca Thats is from me didn't want this to happen at all. so I apologise to thr Forum AS for joe blow wanting test results I'm not sure Its like tell the opposition how they work' I will however say what ever your tow rating is be it 2.5 or 3.5t dependind if outo or manual that is the rating. I then detruction test it and if It breaks at lest than 20t its failed in my books and I re design it, I have post after post on this procedure, once I acheive 20t plus it goes on the Shelf. Now every one who copies my products has this info and can quote saying thats the way they do it, NO more Info ever. GO buy a copy Dont want your Business

taslucas
12th November 2012, 06:55 PM
Ok.............

taslucas
12th November 2012, 07:20 PM
Seems like you're aiming that at me. Am I the 'joe blow'?
I believe your products are tested thoroughly and I really will get one, one-day (on a long list if mods lol). I do not doubt your word. I was merely saying that a graph or test result page or similar would be awesome to have at the start of the thread. Anyway, keep up the good work. The more high quality recovery gear on the market, the less likely it is to have injury or death from unfortunate circumstances. Who knows how many lives you've saved already:-)

Bloodyaussie
12th November 2012, 07:24 PM
Seems like you're aiming that at me. Am I the 'joe blow'?
I believe your products are tested thoroughly and I really will get one, one-day (on a long list if mods lol). I do not doubt your word. I was merely saying that a graph or test result page or similar would be awesome to have at the start of the thread. Anyway, keep up the good work. The more high quality recovery gear on the market, the less likely it is to have injury or death from unfortunate circumstances. Who knows how many lives you've saved already:-)
Dont think he was Lucas but do agree that it would quiet the doubters.. I also want a set but it is also on my list and I have no doubt what so ever of there integrity!!!!

macca86
12th November 2012, 11:18 PM
I feel as though I contributed to what is happens here. I asked questions on ratings tests load capacities weld tests and standards etc. I believe as a consumer I am entitled to make an informed decision on spending my money so I asked for the proof in the pudding. Many people have asked the same but you can't blame them. I am not new to this area of ratings. I'm a boilermaker (ive welded and fabricated lifting lugs and lifting beams for mining vehicles rated to 30 ton swl) and done rigging too. I was researching. I could make these if I wanted but couldn't be bothered and I support vendors here. Just thought it could have been better handled. threedogs what I asked wasn't ment to be personal attacks or having a go at your product it looks good I would buy them but as you said should buy the copies since I asked for proof

threedogs
12th November 2012, 11:28 PM
1 They are NATA rated to tow whatever your car is capable of, some copies say 12 ton and some are to lift so buyer beware .there is is no way breathing I'll rate mine that high it's an accident waiting to happen.
2nd reason Is I know zip about pooters so have no idea how to put them up. ALL are NATA rated and not one has been returned yet, touch wood, tend to over engineer if possible

macca
13th November 2012, 07:19 AM
Try a photo? Might be clear enough

my third 256
17th November 2012, 03:41 PM
hi john can you give me a price on the gu recovery points and yes i have the captive nuts on the bottom of the rail
so i need the right angle ones
also do you supply the bolts as i only need 2
i will use the bolts from the hook that is already there
hope this makes sence
love your posts
pluss postage to adelaide 5083
thanks again stephen

is you paypal working yet or direct debit
sorry sent pm after posting

Yendor
17th November 2012, 03:49 PM
Is this the thread that we get to kick the dog in????

Sorry bud, I couldn't resist.....hehehe

my third 256
17th November 2012, 03:59 PM
Is this the thread that we get to kick the dog in????

Sorry bud, I couldn't resist.....hehehe
yes but which dog are you talking about
this one or the one in W.A

Yendor
17th November 2012, 04:08 PM
yes but which dog are you talking about
this one or the one in W.A

I was talking about threedogs.

That one in WA sounds like a tough bugger, would probably eat my boot and half my foot lol

threedogs
17th November 2012, 04:30 PM
yeah might as well rip into me , seems to be open season,

PM sent my third 256

MEGOMONSTER
17th November 2012, 06:45 PM

PM sent my third 256

Back in you kennel boy. LOL

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

my third 256
20th November 2012, 01:45 AM

PM sent my third 256
hey threedogs i like the recovery point on him did you make that one too lol

lorrieandjas
20th November 2012, 02:56 AM
Hi threedogs. Got a GU 8 - I'll PM you for a price but after two of them. Been meaning to hit you up for them!

Jas

my third 256
21st November 2012, 03:33 PM
bolts wont go through the holes

will have to file out holes
you might need to look at this threedogs

Drew
21st November 2012, 04:54 PM
Pooter love it :)

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2012, 05:10 PM

I see your problem..................there are 2 different types of bolts, 1 is a bolt the other is a setscrew *LMAO*

Maxhead
21st November 2012, 05:12 PM
May be you need a hammer for this install? lol

Bloodyaussie
21st November 2012, 05:22 PM
May be you need a hammer for this install? lol
Fixes most things does it not???

my third 256
21st November 2012, 05:58 PM
nah its the thread wont go through
die must be warn for the hole

Lonicus
21st November 2012, 06:58 PM
I had the same issue. Not sure if Nissan changed things but the holes in the plates are 13mm, the blind nuts, and therefore the bolts into the chassis, are 14mm.

Took mine to a local engineering shop and he milled the holes out for me, then I just sprayed a bit of paint on and all good.

PS. The engineer was VERY impressed with 3D's plates.

threedogs
21st November 2012, 08:04 PM
You may have one of the older ones theses fit about 6 different 4x4. just so the opposition that copies them I wont name them. They have since had 14.5 holes laser cut. just use a die grinder to take a piece of material out. try coming up with one product that fits 6 plus 4x4, sorry for inconvience. Also trying to cool down. Will double check with laser cutter in the morning

MEGOMONSTER
21st November 2012, 10:58 PM
PS. The engineer was VERY impressed with 3D's plates.

That's what we like, positivity.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

mudski
21st November 2012, 11:48 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/optimus_photo/MichaelJacksonPopcorn.gif

Sorry, I had to do it.

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 07:37 AM
wife is very big fan of MC thanks

Drew
22nd November 2012, 08:04 AM
wife is very big fan of MC thanks

Whats MC ?

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 08:15 AM
My bad mean't MJ

growler2058
22nd November 2012, 08:21 AM
Whats MC ?

Can't touch this
MC hammer

Bloodyaussie
22nd November 2012, 08:41 AM
You got to pray just to make it today, pray!!!!!!!!!!!! down fall right there.

The BigFella
22nd November 2012, 02:12 PM
cant touch this, its hammer time!

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 02:27 PM
You know the story bigFella but I aint wearing those big clown pants. noticed the Beeb had some on the other day.

my third 256
22nd November 2012, 03:10 PM

will have to file out holes
you might need to look at this threedogs
used a rat tail file this morning
all good now installed

The BigFella
22nd November 2012, 04:07 PM
I love MC Hammer, he is the man!

cant touch this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mudski
22nd November 2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry way way OT but we had a stop sign at the end of our street and under the word STOP, someone had written, "It's Hammer Time". Made me laugh everytime I came to that intersection. Bloody council took it away though. Hmm, might grab the Posca out and go for a walk tonight....

threedogs
22nd November 2012, 08:48 PM
I might be thinking of ice ice baby with them big britches, or are they the same

Lonicus
22nd November 2012, 08:53 PM
Vanilla Ice you're thinking of 3D, for the song, MC Hammer had the pants, and the moves :)

Funny sign I saw was a "Police now targeting" sign where someone stuck a long sign underneath it saying "coffee and donuts"

The BigFella
22nd November 2012, 08:57 PM
cant touch that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its Hammer Time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,

Winnie
22nd November 2012, 08:58 PM
One I saw said "Police now targeting speed" but somebody had changed the word "targeting" to "taking"

growler2058
22nd November 2012, 08:59 PM
I saw "targeting your money"
Now hijack over in the vendors thread sorry ;)

my third 256
23rd November 2012, 03:19 AM
this is the one i mean threedogs the hub lock nut tool
what about making some of these

NissanGQ4.2
23rd November 2012, 06:40 AM
this is the one i mean threedogs the hub lock nut tool

Got myself one of those :) not sure if same brand

Rip'n'Shred
25th November 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm in the market for one of those as well.

threedogs
25th November 2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry but can't copy another persons product, just can't do it.
I know a shite load of shops copy mine but that just shows what their integrity and thought process is all about. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nah I'll stick to doing what I do, coming up with ORIGINAL ideas and products

Yendor
25th November 2012, 03:06 PM
Apparently it's not copying if you change the colour. ;)

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry but can't copy another persons product, just can't do it.

There is nothing wrong with copying someone's product if you can make it better, its only wrong if its the same or worse than the original

threedogs
25th November 2012, 05:07 PM
Get the changing colour bit, gee that fooled me, lmao.
just thieves no other term.Whats wrong with that product?? not strong enough?
roll pins fail? I only have 54mm socket job, good price does the job[ wheel bearings}

NissanGQ4.2
25th November 2012, 09:43 PM
Get the changing colour bit, gee that fooled me, lmao.
just thieves no other term.Whats wrong with that product?? not strong enough?
roll pins fail? I only have 54mm socket job, good price does the job[ wheel bearings}

not sure mate mine works fine, not a tool that gets used very often

Rip'n'Shred
3rd December 2012, 09:52 AM
I received my recovery points before the weekend. Thanks threedogs. Top quality product mate.

Line up perfect, very well designed to minimise underhang, even the power coating is spot on. Highly recommend to everyone.

Thanks again.

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 03:28 PM
Bought the outback ideas recovery point for the TB48, nicely made but im scratching my head as to how to mount it effectively.

As far as i know its meant to be mountable with the factory alum bar, but crawling under the car and aligning the point where i think it belongs (could be wrong) and theres a problem.

The bracket from the factory bar interferes with the recovery point:

So.. Any suggestions on how i mount these babies, i originally thought i may be able to samdwich the rp between the chassis rails and the factory bar mount, not so sure now.

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi mate, what bar it that you have, where you have them do you have 2 captive nuts under the chassas on both sides??
Long distance guessing is not a strong point of mine. Looks like the folded ones I make would fit, but pic would be nice If you can get one
of under the chassis, they won't fit dont even Try.
Try outside of chassis, factory tiedown point is now a mounting hole,

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 04:02 PM
Factory bar as shown

The only trapped nuts i can see are a fair way back near the cross member

I think the usual mounts are used by the radiator guard

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 04:07 PM
Just check mine again, Hold on for a tick. Pic stll looks funny to me,
Do these look like they would fit??????

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 05:18 PM
Looks like you have a flat surface around the bolts, the support for my bull bar is an L shaped bracket with the rear of this preventing the mounting of the recovery point.

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 05:20 PM
On the alternate point, i think the radiator guard is mounted in that position so no clearance.

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 05:22 PM
Try those Tee shaped ones on the outside of the chassis, see if any holes line up
What year is yours again please

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 05:23 PM
Drivers side

threedogs
3rd December 2012, 05:39 PM
Weird but looks like the series one plate will fit. It replaces that loop held on by 3 bolts, you'll just have 3 holes on the LHS with no nuts, Sure that wont fit to outside of chassis

Agronaught
3rd December 2012, 05:42 PM
Im not sure i understand...

Rip'n'Shred
5th December 2012, 10:23 AM
Does this pic help?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/Damfnq/GUIV%20Patrol/2012-12-05094103.png

threedogs
5th December 2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Rip, I also have a limited number of rear seat cover plates to suit the GU. They just tidy up the back a bit after you remove the seats.

Agronaught
5th December 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Rip, Looks like the bull bar mounts are quiet different to what i have. Im working on a solution though.

threedogs
5th December 2012, 06:57 PM
You'll eventually get it , I can fit all 3 different styles to my TJM bar, go figure

Agronaught
11th December 2012, 08:55 PM
Received a gift from the upgrade santa. Looks more promising with the recovery points.

Cheers

lorrieandjas
12th December 2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks Rip, I also have a limited number of rear seat cover plates to suit the GU. They just tidy up the back a bit after you remove the seats.

Hi threedogs - can you PM me a price for the third row seat cover plates delivered to Brisbane?

Jas

jack
29th December 2012, 10:40 PM
Big thanks to John for the recovery points.
Outback Ideas - great product, great price, great service!
Thanks mate, fitted and looking good.

Cheers

Apollofish

WYLD333
31st December 2012, 03:25 PM
Hey 3dogs, can u pm me with some prices on these recovery points, front and rear 4 a 2004 gu zd30. Cheers m8

Bob
12th January 2013, 12:20 PM
Hi John

In reply to your PM I think I would require the Brackets as per attached Pic which has a fold to align the two surfaces

Mine i a 98 GU with a Aluminium Bull Bar

threedogs
12th January 2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah that sounds right, just so many bars etc to remember, the 3rd hole uses the shipping tie down point, I've a new phone as well so not much good but thats the "TEE" one i was refering to

Alitis007
17th January 2013, 12:19 PM
Hi 3dogs i just sent you a PM about some recovery points.

threedogs
10th February 2013, 06:03 PM
"Outback" look back through here you'll see different styles and how they fit.
This pic is how it would sit/fit if on mine, see the bent ones behind There is bolt behind top
2 holes the third as I told you picks up the OE tie down point. As so many bar/ motor combos
You may be able to narrow it down even closer

outback
10th February 2013, 06:10 PM
Lines up with Nissan steel bar. just need longer bolts than i have. See PM

Clunk
1st March 2013, 04:04 PM
received a nice little parcel at the office today, just in time for our club trip out tomorrow, jeez they're heavy....... fantastic stuff TD, thanks heaps mate. Pics will follow later

macca
1st March 2013, 06:22 PM
Damn good product, looks good especially in the bright red paint!! Fantastic

megatexture
1st March 2013, 06:31 PM
Damn good product, looks good especially in the bright red paint!! Fantastic

And chuck on a red haris hard case and it looks even tougher

threedogs
3rd March 2013, 02:16 PM
You Guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Reds a good colour,,,,,,universal hook up point colour

billy bleed
30th March 2013, 09:47 AM
john, sent a PM re these recovery points..

megatexture
30th March 2013, 10:00 AM
John are these points rated? The fella at arb said they weren't and they had one that was and it only fitted on one side

threedogs
30th March 2013, 12:14 PM
YES they are rated to TOW not lift like the copies, PM sent.
with reference to only one side , the drivers side on most have captive nuts for OE hook,
Check Mudski DIY thread he fitted 2 to his 04 model, I make recovery points to suit all model Patrols
Series one are similar to GQ , Even have one for Petrol Ti and 4.2 ute with bigger radiator.

billy bleed
4th April 2013, 09:09 AM
John, great to have met yesterday..

Thanks for taking the time and will have my new recovery points attached next week.. True gentleman..

Using them at the moment to pump my biceps

I am made up of the following parts.. Black Irish / Gypsy / Tattoo's and Grumpiness.. and this was sent from my phone using Tapatalk!

Gstone
14th April 2013, 05:08 PM
Hi mate. Interested in a set for the 2012 GU 8 with the OE Steel bullbar (I'm assuming the T shaped ones after reading through previous posts). Shipping to Sydney, NSW.

threedogs
14th April 2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah they bolt to the outside of the mounting plate as per pic, I'll pm
If you have 2 captive nuts each side you can use the folded ones.

Ronin
15th April 2013, 11:56 AM
Hi mate. Interested in a set for the 2012 GU 8 with the OE Steel bullbar (I'm assuming the T shaped ones after reading through previous posts). Shipping to Sydney, NSW.

I am interested as well. I got the same2012 GU 8 with Nissan bull bar.

threedogs
15th April 2013, 02:12 PM
@ Ronin, what motor do you have and PM sent as well.
look above and see what you think looks like it would fit,
most OE bars will except the "T" stlye

phelonius
15th April 2013, 02:12 PM
Received mine today after the first one TD sent got lost in the mail.
It looks great, Can't wait to install it.

threedogs
15th April 2013, 02:19 PM
Now just need to look for postie van with red front recovery points on it LOL

Blacklotusdog
15th April 2013, 03:14 PM
Gu8 should have captive nuts and be good for the folded one. That's what I have on mine.

ShaunM
16th April 2013, 10:29 PM
Hi Threedogs. Can you please send me pricing and payment details for a pair of front recovery points for my GU IV ZD30 (has thread on both sides). Delivery to Hastings, VIC.

phelonius
17th April 2013, 02:39 PM
So I tried installing mine today. Had a bit of trouble getting the bolts and old hook off. But I did eventually with the help of an impact wrench. But now that I've got them out, 2 of them the won't go back on with or without the new recovery point. Any ideas of what I should do?

Sent from my GT-I9305

Alitis007
17th April 2013, 02:44 PM
Re thread the holes with a tap

threedogs
17th April 2013, 03:04 PM
Was just about to suggest the same. Spray with CRC as well

phelonius
17th April 2013, 05:42 PM
Would this be the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Bottom-Limit-Metric-Flutes/dp/B007BTQJEE

threedogs
17th April 2013, 05:59 PM
Yes that the one, don't forget to back cut as you do it.
meaning start cutting thread then reverse your action you will feel it cut
any steel off then screw a bit more and back cut,
keep going till all the way through . don't lose tap in chassis.
basically just take your time

Gstone
24th April 2013, 11:39 AM
I have a 2012 GU, and thought I'd throw up some images of the locations these points fit in case it helps anyone else.

I purchased the "folded" recovery points for the 2 captive nut type attachment originally, prior to getting the bullbar installed. Those recovery points attach here. If I was a smarter man, I would have fitted it before the bullbar was installed, which makes it more difficult.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/150.jpg

The other recovery point in the "T shape" also looks like i can be fitted with the bullbar, in this position:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/151.jpg

I'm undecided on which is the better option, but I will try fitting the folded ones and see how it goes.

Blacklotusdog
24th April 2013, 11:45 AM
I also have GU8, have attached pic of my installed folded type points.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/152.jpg

threedogs
24th April 2013, 11:45 AM
Thats one big pic man I cant figure it out,
Should bolt up like pic above. What model/motor/bar do you have again
Long distance guessing not a strong point of mine, but we'll get it sorted
either one will fit, all three styles will fit mY TJM T16 outback bullbar

Gstone
24th April 2013, 08:38 PM
I also have GU8, have attached pic of my installed folded type points.

Fitted them today. Will be interesting to see if the shackles do any damage smacking against the bottom of the bullbar from this location. I'd suggest the T shaped points for other with a similar setup I think.

phelonius
14th May 2013, 05:11 PM
Yes that the one, don't forget to back cut as you do it.
meaning start cutting thread then reverse your action you will feel it cut
any steel off then screw a bit more and back cut,
keep going till all the way through . don't lose tap in chassis.
basically just take your time

Turns out my bolts where m14 x 1.5.
I found this out after waiting a a week to get an m12 tap.
Anyway got it in tonight and it looks good.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/1.jpg?2

threedogs
14th May 2013, 05:49 PM
Looks good You can fit one to the LHS but a bit labour intensive
Those two extra holes are if you want to bolt a black hook to it

billy bleed
23rd May 2013, 02:32 PM
Another outback ideas product for my patrol - Picked it up this morning whilst hassling 3D to help me with my gas bottle mounts.. and its great workmanship!!

I am made up of the following parts.. Black Irish / Gypsy / Tattoo's and Grumpiness.. and this was sent from my phone using Tapatalk!

FNQGU
13th June 2013, 04:17 PM
Threedogs,

What did you say those extra two holes could be used for on the GU-I recovery point?

By the way, very happy with it. I had to grab this one from TJM before a trip this weekend, but could you PM me a price for the bush-hook at the rear and the other ring type rear recovery point please?

BenK

Sorry, should have looked up two posts... what black hook are you referring to?

threedogs
13th June 2013, 04:26 PM
PM sent, Those extra holes allow you to bolt a 5000lb hook to it as well.
Try to avoid the Chrome hooks as Ive found them to be brittle.

NP99
13th June 2013, 11:23 PM
TD, how does the rear point attach to the vehicle?

Clunk
13th June 2013, 11:58 PM
TD, how does the rear point attach to the vehicle?

It goes in place of the OEM hoop just above the rear step

Tapping on the Tab via MC

menace 2
14th June 2013, 01:26 AM
PM sent TD

Kast
14th June 2013, 01:38 PM
Guys,

I bought two front recovery points and the rear loop from John.

Top quality (construction and finish), great pricing, quick delivery (melb to perth) and he's always quick to answer any queries and help.

So, from me, you shouldn't buy anything else from anyone else. Unless you like paying through the nose for ordinary.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Winnie
14th June 2013, 01:56 PM
John, would you recommend using your rear hoop for recoveries? I don't doubt the strength of the hoop, but it was bought up by another member that it is simply held on by the thread of 4 bolts, I would not trust it at all. Maybe for towing but not for recoveries. Like I said I'm sure the hoop itself is up for recoveries my concern is that it's only held on by the thread of 4 bolts.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

threedogs
14th June 2013, 03:39 PM
I have used it on my other 4x4 and this 4x4 plus made them for half a doz Comp trucks in Vic.
Never had a problem, Maybe talk to your local bolt bloke on how threads grab/forces etc to get peace of mind.
I do have backing plates in 6mm that after bolting on use the backing plate with Nyloc nuts .
Originally they were made to go each side of the roller fairlead on Land Rovers, Then I noticed that most if not all 4x4
had the 85 x45 bolt pattern on the rear. I've pulled cement trucks out of muddy drive ways , tojo S the lot.
I'm very confident in it as are some mining companies. Hope it answers some queries you have. I use the Hook BTW not loop

Edit::: Its actually the strongest one I make

BigRAWesty
14th June 2013, 04:03 PM
Yea Winnie being a rigger/ boilermaker the 4 bolts are plenty to hold that plate on..
But like always make sure the chassis is up to scratch.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
14th June 2013, 04:08 PM
I've found some GQs not a lot but some rust away at the front of chassis, where bog holes and bad cleaning has lead to the chassis failing.
Most GQ and GUs Ive looked at, that rear section is pretty well rust free, as no area for mud to sit and do its thang.

NP99
14th June 2013, 05:21 PM
3D do you use a backing plate and why a hook vs the loop?
Cheers

threedogs
14th June 2013, 05:49 PM
Just for different styles, I don't make hook one anymore Billy Bleed got last one.
I like the hook for ease of use, and you'll find things don't fall up. As hook has no retaining clip.
I like the loop as well cause its very very strong on its own and the M20 eye bolt one I call bush hoop.

Edit No I dont use backing plate on my GU or the other one ooops

Avo
28th June 2013, 01:22 PM
I have to shout out a big thanks to Threedogs for his excellent service,sent a pm with a few questions regarding his recovery points that he makes all questions answered so I ordered,Cheers great service and the gear looks great too
regards neil

BigRAWesty
28th June 2013, 02:02 PM
I have to shout out a big thanks to Threedogs for his excellent service,sent a opm with a few questions regarding his recovery points that he makes all questions answered so I ordered,Cheers great service and the gear looks great too
regards neil

Knew you would be happy. Throw up some pics

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Avo
28th June 2013, 05:51 PM
yeah Kallen thanks for the heads up,as for a pic geez mate only just got them and I want to play with them for a while and not scratch them up to much.will let them sit by my computer for a wee while first.maybe tomorrow or the next day.

threedogs
28th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Make awesome paper weights for the Man Cave LOL

oncedisturbed
29th June 2013, 07:54 PM
Gotta admit, great set of points. Gotta measure up the space for you TD

Avo
30th June 2013, 03:35 PM
So I've put this on taken a pic loaded it up on the computer and looked at it and thought,Geez ya know I wonder if it's meant to be the other way round.Does it matter.?If not feel free to say so.

Anywho here's a pic.

threedogs
30th June 2013, 03:55 PM
Should be forward facing,

Avo
30th June 2013, 04:11 PM
DOH,some how I just knew it..........Oh well back out the shed I go

BigRAWesty
30th June 2013, 05:39 PM
So I've put this on taken a pic loaded it up on the computer and looked at it and thought,Geez ya know I wonder if it's meant to be the other way round.Does it matter.?If not feel free to say so.

Anywho here's a pic.

BAhahahahahah.. that's made my day.. Bahahaha..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Avo
30th June 2013, 07:20 PM
BAhahahahahah.. that's made my day.. Bahahaha..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Well up yours.That just made my day,i need to go to the happy thread now

cgm
11th July 2013, 04:55 PM
Didn't seem to be attachment icon on the PM, so will post two pics here:

Right side (with original hook) and left side appears to show two bolts going into the bottom of the chassis? This what you are looking for? There is a bolt there, which I think is from the front bar, is that going to get in the way of things?

threedogs
11th July 2013, 05:02 PM
You may need the "TEE" shaped ones, especially if OE bulbar. they fit on outside of bar as per pic.

threedogs
11th July 2013, 05:10 PM
Looking at those pics I'd say its petrol or a Ti.
Do you have OE hook that bolts to inside of chassis like the backward fitted pic.

cgm
11th July 2013, 06:19 PM
It's a 4800 Petrol. Comparing to other pics on the web (of your recovery points attached) it looks like the radiator sits down lower below the chassis than others. This might just be a 4800 thing or might even be a bigger radiator for this part of the world?? Therefore, as you mention the folded one won't have a big enough gap to fit in. Bummer. :(

Looking at the side on view of the bullbar mounted, it would also be very difficult to get the TEE one to fit as well. It has at least a 30 mm lip, but not just at the bottom. The top bolt is "set in" so, it would be difficult to get anything bolted up solid. Looks like my next best bet would be a second OE hook on the other side. Won't be as strong as yours, but if I was pulling off both instead of just one it would be better than now.

Few more pics.

TPC
11th July 2013, 06:20 PM
You may need the "TEE" shaped ones, especially if OE bulbar. they fit on outside of bar as per pic.

Hey 3D, I have compared this photo with my Troll and it looks the same, can you please PM me the price on the T shaped recovery point.

threedogs
11th July 2013, 06:47 PM
PM sent mate

TPC
12th July 2013, 04:07 PM
PM sent mate

Here are pics of the mounting points on my Troll, do you agree it would need the TEE?

threedogs
12th July 2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah Tee shaped will fit.

florix
20th July 2013, 02:24 PM
hey mate, I have a 98 GU patrol with a TJM bull bar. I would like to know more information on the front recovery points. Can you PM me details about them including prices and I can supply you with what ever info you need, including pictures. Thanks

threedogs
20th July 2013, 06:37 PM
@ florix this is the style either one or two, being such an early model
I don't think you have the 2 captive nuts under the chassis ,but you could check.

Shaun 4x4
27th July 2013, 11:53 PM
Hey TD, check your inbox please.

Me wants recovery points.

Shaun 4x4
30th July 2013, 10:10 PM
Got my front and rear points today, I only ordered them on Sunday and I'm in perth. That pretty dam quick indeed.
Cheers.

I should have mentioned I wanted the rear point to be black.
Shouldn't cost much to get it powder coated.

mudski
30th July 2013, 11:31 PM
Just spray paint it shaun....

Hodge
31st July 2013, 07:48 AM
OK I'm in the market for a set of these front recovery points. Got my set for my Navara last year from tjm Coburg. The bloke who makes them was unwell at the time and took a while to get a set. Does tjm still carry these ??

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Motorculture app

BigRAWesty
31st July 2013, 08:06 AM
OK I'm in the market for a set of these front recovery points. Got my set for my Navara last year from tjm Coburg. The bloke who makes them was unwell at the time and took a while to get a set. Does tjm still carry these ??

Pretty sure TD doesn't outsource his parts to retailers.. You probably bought a rip off copy.
Best to either call him or email (both in first post) to discuss your needs.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
31st July 2013, 09:23 AM
Nah TJM Coburg Started me off with advice etc, I have a few loyal shop Aust wide who have stuck with me ,
With all the Operations I've had,
@ Hodge I'm always "un well" more so lately. and Coburg should have some, They are Genuine .

Hodge
31st July 2013, 09:45 AM
Nah TJM Coburg Started me off with advice etc, I have a few loyal shop Aust wide who have stuck with me ,
With all the Operations I've had,
@ Hodge I'm always "un well" more so lately. and Coburg should have some, They are Genuine .

Far out I should read more. Had no idea you made these mate. Will drop by tjm and grab a set.

threedogs
31st July 2013, 10:12 AM
I'm there a fair bit so keep a look out for my Patrol, [RE Avatar]

Shaun 4x4
31st July 2013, 01:55 PM
Just spray paint it shaun....

Do you think the paint will hold up ok?

threedogs
31st July 2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah it should be ok, a lot of Qld guys spray them black as local police pull over anything with red hanging off them, so I was told

Shaun 4x4
2nd August 2013, 10:51 PM
Just finished painting the rear point flat black. Looks great.

Are the original bolts back there good enough to reuse?

Also not sure if its in this thread but the bolts on the factory recovery point. WTF?
A 19mm socket relates to an m12 bolt, well every bolt I've had but not these they are bigger.

What size are the front bolts and where can I get some from on a Saturday?

TPC
3rd August 2013, 03:48 AM
Just finished painting the rear point flat black. Looks great.

Are the original bolts back there good enough to reuse?

Also not sure if its in this thread but the bolts on the factory recovery point. WTF?
A 19mm socket relates to an m12 bolt, well every bolt I've had but not these they are bigger.

What size are the front bolts and where can I get some from on a Saturday?

You should be able to get high tensile M12 bolts from Repco on a Saturday.

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 08:18 AM
I think they are 14mm x 1.50 pitch, and 50mm is long enough.

Shaun 4x4
3rd August 2013, 10:36 AM
I think they are 14mm x 1.50 pitch, and 50mm is long enough.

Cheers. Will have to go hunting.

Also did you just reuse the rear bolts for the back recovery point or get new ones?

threedogs
3rd August 2013, 10:40 AM
They should be long enough I just sprayed the heads

Shaun 4x4
4th August 2013, 08:51 PM
Either they aren't a 1.5mm cut or the dam shop gave me the wrong bolts!

AB
30th August 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

I would like to welcome John (Outback Ideas) to the forum as our latest Vendor Sponsor. John is well known in the industry for his quality recovery/tow points and has also ventured a little bit into lights, etc so please have a look at his first post in this thread to see what he offers and thank you for your support Threedogs!

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah but will he contribute to the forum??? Or just here for the manuals??

Well done John.

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah but will he contribute to the forum??? Or just here for the manuals??

Well done John.

Daz you are funny like a brick!!!!

meh
30th August 2013, 10:16 AM
Got a set of these, Love them!

BigRAWesty
30th August 2013, 10:23 AM
Good to see you joined TD.