PDA

View Full Version : cairns to perth, via the middle

Malgreen
25th June 2012, 11:40 AM
Hi every one, just completed an epic trip from cairns to perth, took 7 days and we traveled over the Donahue/plenty highway the the central highway through to Kalgoorlie.. what an awesome trip....
but the amazing things is we did it in a stock standard 08 crd gu.... all tho the factory tires didn't last... had to get a new set at Alice spings...
the road conditions surprised me,, the tracks where in great condition for the most part,, the Donahue was very rocky and the plenty was nice and sandy and smooth, not much corrugation. the great central highway was very good as well but did get rougher the further west we traveled.
we averaged a speed of 80-90 kph and slower for the rough bits . we also got an average fuel consumption of 12 ltr per 100, i was happy with this.
found some interesting spots on the car where dust was getting in to and the small barn door hasnt got the inner plastic,, lots of dust there so a big clean up in that area..
just some pics of the road included..
1st pic is the beginning of the Donahue Hwy
2nd pic is sun rise on the Donahue Hwy
3rd pic is the dust left from our car, thats how cold and still it was.
4th pic is the beginning of the Plenty Hwy just on the boarder of Qld and Nt
5th pic was taking holding the camera out the window.........
6th pic, yes it was a bit dusty.

Malgreen
25th June 2012, 11:52 AM
Ok thats the plenty done
the next lot of pics are of the Central Highway that runs from Ayers rock thru to laveton ( WA )..
pics are in order heading fro central to west..

I am completing this thread on the qld side as this trip started from cairns, even tho this is the WA side

growler2058
25th June 2012, 12:11 PM
Looks like a good trip mate very very nice scenery ay

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!