PDA

View Full Version : Springs aint just springs.

Crankshaft
24th June 2012, 10:56 AM
It has come time for me to upgrade the suspension in Red. (see members rides)(MK SWB L28) and I am seeking as much info as I can before I start.:trink13:

I just had new rear springs fitted to SHMBO’S (dare I say it r r R Rodeo. ) by a mob in Sydney. It used to ride like a truck ,( Extended chassis LPG and an aluminium pod and he stuff we carry when travelling) , and the new springs have added 4” and it rides like a car. Very happy. But in the process I became more aware of the nice things you can do with leaf springs.:icon_victory:

It now has springs for 300kg constant load and an awesome ride. Done by the supplier with different main leaf metal and supporting leaves . It took ALL of the bump and harshness out.:bowdown:

I now move to the play 4WD, Red, and in standard form the rear springs drive the bumps straight up my spine. A good ditch will give you an instant headache. I don’t want to spend the 2k to get its springs done cos I only paid 2k for the whole thing. :cool:

Parts, the donor vehicle, has 2” uplift and a 9 leaf rear spring pack—Spine destroying stuff and not as much flex as I would like.

My questions are
Does anyone have any clever ideas, or know the secret info that (company name?) use , that will let me put my own pack together that will give about 3” lift and keep my spine intact??? :feedback:

Has anyone had much experience with aftermarket springs and suspension for MK's?

Cranky

Can I name the suspension company?

GQ TANK
24th June 2012, 02:35 PM
Just wrote upo a response and lost it.

Guys have played around with pully leaves out to reduce the harshness - but will reduce the height - look at the other patrol forum for more info

I have rear polyairs that set between the spring and chassis - these help a bit with the ride

You can get schakle extenbsions - but can also cause problems with inverting -( i think superior eng do a version that cannot invert)lso for a 2 in increase in schackle I belive you would only get a 1inh height increase.

Mq & Mk are differant - but can be swaped - use the spring & schackle

I have seen posst from a couple of guys converting to coil springs in the rear - a lot of work - and needs eng cert

aussiemale
24th June 2012, 05:26 PM
Watching with interest crank, I'm actually looking at setting up one of those seats the trucks have (is it air bag?) that you can also adjust for on road/off road.

Finly Owner
24th June 2012, 09:48 PM
Ok, this is it in nutshell.

If you want softness, carry a part load in the back. Eg Drawers with toolbox of spanner and socket etc. Hi-lift Jack, bottle jack, air compressor, recovery gear, 20L of water for emergency radiator coolant. That should make tje ride a little less hard. FORGET shackle extensions for on road use vehicles.

Try Terrain Tamer for your new 2" lift leaf springs and suspension set. I got a real good price! Yes my MK - FINLY is getting a make over.

Tim

MQ MAD
25th June 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm actually looking at setting up one of those seats the trucks have (is it air bag?) that you can also adjust for on road/off road.

Youd be referring to a suspension seat,these were avaliable in the MK from factory , hard to obtain but there around

The general consensus is you get more flex with less springs in the pack, but it greatly effects the ride,wether thru the car or height
There are differences between the petrol and diesel leaf pack due to the extra weight of the diesel engine over the petrol, so something to consider
For a car that costs only a few grand ,youll spend more than that on its 30 year old suspension getting it to be as comfortable as a latter model
Im using a heavy duty leaf pack from a diesel in a petrol,itll be interesting to see how it goes ...

aussiemale
25th June 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks mad, so now you raise the next question, what is better, more flex or going for more springs.
LOL

GQ TANK
28th June 2012, 09:31 PM
I had suspension seats - did not like it as it as the max setting was 100k - im 110 - kept bottoming out.

End uo swapping for a standard base - plus gave a bit more room for the NF paj seat that I fitted.

patch697
28th June 2012, 10:48 PM
I've heard it all & everyone's got the best there is, but if you really, really want the "BEST OF YOU 4X4" then you need to look into SAX Suspension : http://www.saxsuspension.com.au/ You will never look back.

Finly Owner
28th June 2012, 11:02 PM
I've heard it all & everyone's got the best there is, but if you really, really want the "BEST OF YOU 4X4" then you need to look into SAX Suspension : http://www.saxsuspension.com.au/ You will never look back.Sorry, who are you ? hahahahahahah PMLROFWTRDF.

Tim

MQ MAD
29th June 2012, 09:22 AM
I've heard it all & everyone's got the best there is, but if you really, really want the "BEST OF YOU 4X4" then you need to look into SAX Suspension : http://www.saxsuspension.com.au/ You will never look back.

Never look back , why cant handle the serious hammering the wallet copped !!! LOL

GQ TANK
5th July 2012, 12:46 AM
Has any fitted sax, how much and was it worth it?

Crankshaft
7th July 2012, 10:32 PM
OK I have got a plan.
Stage 1 Buy a 52 tonne wood splitter so I can split wood :049:AND reset springs (with a simple jig). –Done--
Stage 2 Take the heavy duty springs of “Parts” and reset them with a slightly greater curve.
Stage 3 Remove and reset the springs from Red, Mix and match so I get three stages of spring response. Diamond cut the upper leaves to get a slightly more progressive rate and use the existing curve end on the lower ,heavier and unbundled leaves. Cut the fixed spring mounts off the chassis of red and space them down 50mm and lengthen the shackles by 30mm. This should keep caster angles correct and minimise both front and rear axle steer. Buy and install some new and longer shocks and move the brake line mountings.
This will all be a bit of a challenge but just maybee?? Give me a good ride and fair amount of travel and height. :clownredpuff::SNruQWn369624407:
I will take pics and keep you all posted with the success/failure of my progress.:cheers:

threedogs
7th July 2012, 10:38 PM
If you put 2" extended all around you'll lift 2', but if you only do the rear that will lift rear by 1" and give you a downhill look but flattern out with a load, put extended greasable shackles with anti inversion in and it'll make a huge difference.
You'll need longer steel to make 3" springs,Pretty sure you cant make 3" springs out of 2" ones steel not long enough

Crankshaft
9th August 2012, 07:34 PM
Bloody Ubolts.... too tight for the rattle gun and I want to reuse the long ones so I couldn't cut them .

So swing on the end of a 3/4 ratchet with a pipe extender, getting about an 1/8 of a turn and so the hours pass... So far three...

Tomorrow I will do the other side and probably order a 3/4 inch rattle gun.

threedogs
9th August 2012, 07:55 PM
Go to a spring maker and get him to tailor make your suspension. It'll be soft flex and ride well
off the shelf wont, tell spring maker what you want

I put spring hanger sliders on my leaf sprung truck, just stopped them digging in IMO helped heaps

Crankshaft
10th August 2012, 09:32 AM
I went to a spring maker for My wife's rodeo and did get what you have said. Soft with flex and rides well and with 300kg more capacity. I agree, Off the shelf is never going to work as well. In the end it cost only $200 more than a set of off the shelf Ebay springs.
While waiting for them to fit them I talked to them lots and have done a lot of reading and I am going to mix and match and reset three different spring packs. While I know the results will be a bit subjective I am out to do better. Just for the challenge. I am also now thinking that I will do Dual packs on each side at the back similar to the setup in the workshop manual,

Having had a good look and measure yesterday I am going to have to do some hanger inversion prevention. At the moment I am thinking chassis mounted stops or cut and move the fixed hangers.

Your suggestion of hanger sliders has me interested. I am not sure what you mean. Slippers as per trailers and large trucks, Or a slider to move the hanger?

Cranky

threedogs
10th August 2012, 12:47 PM
It was a 6mm plate that was folded at one end like a ski.
4 holes drilled through it to access U bolt nuts.
The lot was welded to the spring hanger plate.
Worked a treat
Instead of the U bolt plate digging in it would now slide

Crankshaft
10th August 2012, 11:28 PM
Great idea. Thanks.

Cranky

Crankshaft
16th August 2012, 08:09 PM
springs removed and ready for refurbishment. At least they all appear to match.

The front springs appear to hav e been rubbing on the chassis despite the spring bush being on sort of condition.

The new bushes have been ordered and now I need to buy some new centre bolts

I think I am going to have to cut half of the second leaf eye off.

Crankshaft
6th September 2012, 10:06 PM
I Swapped the back springs on the weekend.
I took the two straight 9mm thick leaves off the the original springs (OEM) springs and swapped them for the 6mm leaves of the donor pack.
This made the donor pack about 6mm thicker and about 2" higher while sitting on the floor side by side.
It all looked very good.
Once it was assembled however the vehicle sat at exactly the same height as it did before I started. S..t S..t S..t S..t

The good bit is that it rides MUCH Much better.

So I am part way..

Now to decide if I want to reset this pack and possibly upset the ride or do something different.

Has anybody had any experience with Spring Over Axle ( at least that's what I think they are called) and does anybody know the legal requirements?

Cranky

Crankshaft
26th September 2012, 08:36 PM
:animierte-smilies-t

Springs successfully re-set and with a 4 inch lift :smiley_thumbs_up:

Every bit as high as I wanted. It will probably settle back to 3 inches over the next few months and I have yet to fitt the extended shackles on the rear.

See "members rides" for details

Who does the best extended shackles?

Cranky

(not cranky at the moment)

Next: a wheel alignment.