PDA

View Full Version : dingo identification

stets
24th June 2012, 12:35 AM
the new laws allowing pest control in NSW's national parks, has sparked a debate regarding dingoes, as some of you may have seen.

Education regarding dingo behavior and appearance which sets them apart from domestic and cross breeds will be discussed in here. this is to help any potential shooters to be better informed about the dog you have in your sights. Is it a dingo or not?

all pure dingoes australia wide share the same basic DNA structure, and there are 4 main strain variations applicable to climate and location;

Alpine, range through NSW and VIC mainly in the highlands or hilly country. being slightly heavier build than its cousins. usually orange in appearance with white points on its feet, tail, and muzzle. they often have a white chest too. Alpines also show a black and tan appearance quite similar to a kelpie, and 'all white' alpines are reasonably common too. females are lean in comparison to males, looking very kelpie like, while the males tend to show more of a stocky 'heeler type' chest. they have rounded ear tips compared to kelpies, which tend to come to a more distinctive point.

Desert, range through the outback, the more remote, the better for these guys. they are found in parts of all states/territories except tassie and canberra. they tend to look very similar in size and shape to a kelpie, lean with muscles on their rump and chest. they tend to mainly be of orange appearance with white points, however, it is not uncommon for them to have darkish muzzles. i have seen 'all white' dingoes in areas that are considered desert territory, and have heard of a couple of black and tan coloured in arid regions.

Tropical, these dingoes tend to look similar to a desert variety. larger in build in many areas through out the top end of WA, NT including arnhem land, but as they creep more into QLD, they tend to be more similar in size to their desert cousins. rarely are they anything but orange in appearance, with white points, however, dark muzzles are quite common. it is not uncommon to find 'all orange' tropical dingoes, without the white points, but i cannot confirm whether this has to do with crossbreeding many generations ago or not.

Fraser Island dingoes are considered the purest strain of dingo. they are smaller, leaner, and almost always orange in appearance. young pups quite often have darkish muzzles, however, as they get older they tend to turn more white. they also tend to have white points, chest and underside, as with the most common appearance accross all strains.

All dingoes have scent glands just below the base of the tail, these quite often look like dark patches and are far more pronounced visually up until 2yrs of age in males and a little younger in females.
All dingoes have larger K9 teeth than domestic breeds, often exceeding 25-30mm in length from the gumline.
The jaw hinges further back in the head from domestic breeds as well. domestic breeds tend to hinge below the ear, slightly towards the nose, dingoes hinge below the ear slightly to the neck. this allows the dingo to open its jaws substantially more than domestic breeds.
The ears on a dingo stand upright with rounded tips, and are quite large for the head shape in all but Alpine dingoes, whos ears tend to be much smaller and in proportion with the rest of the head.
Most dingoes eyes are golden in appearance, it is very rare to find dingoes with any other eye colour than a shade of gold (yellow/orange, yellow/brown, etc). i would question the purity of a dingo with any other eye colour.

there are a number of other dingo specific characteristics that are not visible at a glance, such as, dingoes can spread their front legs out side ways like a cross, without breaking the chest bone and killing the dog, domestic breeds cannot do this. many dingoes have what is called "feather foot" where the hair between the pads grows so long that it folds under the pads and their tracks look more muffled. the teeth of dingoes, tend to point towards the rear of the mouth more than domestic breeds and are far sharper and thicker at the gumline.

pure dingoes only breed once a year, unlike cross bred and domestic dogs, born between late march and early august, so young pups should only really be seen from may/jun through to aug/sep. if pups are seen outside of these times it is likely that they have been cross bred somewhere in their history.

contrary to belief, pure dingoes are not the aggressive killers that they are made out to be. pure dingoes are driven by instinct and survival entirely. they are shy, but curious, aloof, and quite nervous around people. they hunt for food only, there appears to be no pleasure in killing. they tend to return to the same carcass until it is finished, even when there is live prey nearby. they have been known to take more than they can eat in a short time, this is apparent in areas where food is scarce, not so apparent in areas where food is plentiful. they will scavenge before killing, and they will almost always take the sneak approach when hunting. they are very opportunistic creatures, and their curiosity often finds them sneaking into camps for a snatch and grab meal.
i have spent several years in the bush in highly populated dingo and wild dog areas, never once have i ever felt threatened by what appeared to be a pure bred dingo, but i have been directly threatened and even approached and surrounded as prey by clearly crossbred wild dogs.

when a dingo does seem aggressive and growling or making other noise at you, it is almost always a playful tactic, this is quite common in areas where dingoes have a high human contact, such as fraser island. a dingo is most dangerous when it is backed into a corner or otherwise feels threatened. a defensive dingo will be vocal, growls, snaps, even what sounds like a short bark, an offensive dingo, is silent. if confronted by a dingo/es, do not run under any circumstance. stand your ground, make growling noises, bark, stomp your feet, raise your arms to the side. do not yell in human language, it does nothing but provoke the animal as it doesnt understand you. you need to speak "dog".

if a dingo tries to play with you, it is not to be considered dangerous at all, its behavior should be ignored so as not to encourage the animal. once a dingo recognises that it is ok to "play" with people, it will try to do the same with others, which causes confusion not only with the dingo, but with people that do not understand the dingo's intentions.

if by chance you do find yourself attacked by a dingo or pack, make sure absolutely that your stomach and throat are protected by your arms and elbows. curl up into the fetal position on your side and do not move. make no noise. you may try to fight using your legs and kness and by rolling on the ground, if the attack does not stop after laying still. this is a last straw defence and should not be considered an option unless in dire extremes, as can be seen as an offensive attack which in turn will promote the attacking pack to become more ferocious.

here are a few photos of a desert variety dingo (mine). and i will post more detailed pictures regarding jaw structure, teeth, colour etc when i take some photos of some friends alpines.

a young dingo pup at 10 weeks old
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/turbo5.jpg

a young dingo pup at approximately 5 months old
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/P1070540Medium.jpg

notice the rounder edge and tip of the ear compared to the other 2 dogs. one is a husky, the other is a kelpie cross dingo
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/P1070649Medium.jpg

a front on look showing eye colour, ear shape and size
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/turbo.jpg

a dingo showing attention to its surroundings
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/turbo-1.jpg

playful behavior
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/dingodunk.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/P1070540Medium.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/P1070582Medium.jpg

relaxing at home, you can see the lower K9's length in this pic
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/Pic_0124_034.jpg

my boy showing just how australian he truly is (this is a stolen rum that he has put down on his feeding plate so as not to spill any on the ground)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/Pic_0114_031.jpg

how their colour helps them blend in with their surroundings
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/ibuckout2/orangesoil.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
24th June 2012, 07:37 AM
Excellent write up stets

Maxhead
24th June 2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the excellent description of different types and a great write up all up..

Silver
24th June 2012, 05:41 PM
Thank you Stets, I'll read it a few times until it all sinks in

stets
24th June 2012, 09:55 PM
If you guy have any more specific questions on the subject, I'm more than happy to answer them, most of what was written is common knowledge through the dingo conservation community, (mainly being wildlife parks, dingo specific organisations etc), but personally, I have experienced Dingoes in the bush more so than the vast majority of the "self titled" experts. Many people can make comment regarding domesticated and humanised dingoes, and dingoes in general, but there aren't many of us that have any authority to talk on dingoes in their natural habitat. I still have years of life left before I can claim to be an expert (in my opinion), but I will share what I know any time.

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

stets
26th June 2012, 12:48 AM
Here is a recent news interview with one of the better dingo researchers, some of what he says I don't 100% agree with, but for the most part, it's a pretty fair call

stets
26th June 2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-12/potential-danger-from-dingoes-warns-expert/4066742

oncedisturbed
26th June 2012, 10:22 AM
good write up, Wonder whether it will flow on to other States to allow feral control in the forrests etc??

Bob
26th June 2012, 11:27 AM
I have found this to be very informative Post and I thank you for your excellent write up

stets
26th June 2012, 11:40 AM
17267 this picture shows a common dingo cross kelpie. Notice the similar coloring, pointy ears, smaller eyes and less 'in-tune' stare.

Silver
26th June 2012, 11:47 AM
good write up, Wonder whether it will flow on to other States to allow feral control in the forrests etc??

Rather than hijack Stet's dingo thread, take a peak at the hunting in national parks thread?

It has been done in SA national parks for some years. Reports are positive. WHile I say the reports are positive, I think Stets has 2 concerns, that NSW will do it differently in their nat parks, allowing less disciplined shooting - indeed, unauthorised 'open slather'. The other, I think, might be that officialdom might put wild dogs, or even specifically, dingos, onto the list of target animals. Is that right, Stets?

taslucas
26th June 2012, 11:50 AM
Awesome write up mate. Some really cool pics there. I have never seen a dingo in the wild (not too common here!)

Tap, crackle, pop

stets
26th June 2012, 04:27 PM
Correct silver. Both are serious concerns. I have tried talking to the environment minister and well ..... let's just say I won't ever get to have my say there.

Wild dogs are on the control list, not dingoes, but the vast majority of people couldn't tell the difference between a dingo and a wild dog.

I have some good friends with 4 alpine dingoes. 1x orange male, 1x orange female, 1x white female, and 1x black and tan female. All pure and bred in captivity. They also have the brother of my desert dingo.

Photos have been arranged and will be coming shortly.

stets
26th June 2012, 04:29 PM
In SA, you may as well call that state a write off. All dogs especially dingoes are a target! Let's hope nsw does do it differently!!

Maxhead
26th June 2012, 04:34 PM
I would expect an official white paper before this goes live.....then again we know the government.

I am hopeful these issues have been taken into consideration and there will be some further notice of the exact plan before it takes effect

stets
26th June 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm in WA, but I know of 2 doggers that packed up weeks ago headed to nsw for dog control, employed by the government. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was in preparation for this. Haven't been able to reach them though to discuss it

Cuppa
3rd August 2014, 01:35 PM
Hadn’t seen this thread before. Great info & a great set of pics. Thank you Stets if you are still around.

Woof
3rd August 2014, 08:21 PM
Stets has not been around for a while Cuppa, the dingo in most of the photos is Turbo his dingo, Turbo got injured last week by some lowlife but is recovering nicely.
Turbo is such a placid dingo, I have met him on several occasions.

briscott
5th August 2014, 08:28 PM
Great info here, he's got a wealth of information in him. If I take my pup out anywhere, I get about a thousand people asking if they can pat the Dingo - its relentless but does highlight just how many people have a fixed perception of what a Dingo looks like.

If he pops back on the thread I'll whack up a pic for him to pass comment on. FWIW, we think we have a tan Staffy x Kelpie.