PDA

View Full Version : Spring is here ... and I can't find one!!

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 03:09 PM
Howdy

something reasonably obscure (although I am certain Nissan themselves would have it for a princely sum!!), but I'm after a small spring that goes in the rooftop reading lights in a GQ - has never worked since I had it, so I pulled it apart today, soldered it up and got it working (miracles will never cease), however the button on the passenger side was jammed in, and upon inspection, it doesn't have the small spring to make the button go in and out. The spring is very light gauge, about 9-10mm in diameter, about 20mm in length, and as you could imagine, impossible to find anywhere!! Been to Repco, SuperCheap Auto, Mitre 10 and True Value hardware and no go ... would anyone by any chance know where I could get something like this?? It's dead set a 30 cent item, but a pain without it ... I was thinking hobby stores that sell model cars, aeroplanes and the like, but can't find anything on the net.

PLEASE HELP ... if I can't replace the spring, I'll obviously have to replace the whole car!! LOL:p

DX grunt
9th October 2010, 04:25 PM
Longshot, but tried the wreckers?

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 04:52 PM
Not yet mate - thanks for that. As said, a longshot, but worth a try none the less.

Finly Owner
9th October 2010, 09:39 PM
You can go to Bega Rd Wreckers Kingston, as they wreck a lot of Patrols. Or if you have a sample I may be able to help you, as I work in Slacks CK.

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks mate - greatly appreciate the offer - I'll take a 'happy snap' of the little offender tomorrow and post it up.

Chops
10th October 2010, 12:01 AM
Thought of trying a spring from an old Pen, or an old push button TV or Radio. Take the light to an electronics store, Tandy, Dick Smith etc.

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 12:08 PM
Hey chops - yeah, pretty much raided every pen, old clock and game controller in the house hunting for something - I'm obviously an idiot, coz I didn't even think of Tandy or Dick Smith ... they seem reasonably obvious now!!! LOL Thanks mate.

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 06:11 PM
Right - had enough of not finding what I wanted, so I decided to make my own - grabbed a spring from a biro (too long, too compressed and too hard) and spent the next hour or so stretching it, cutting it to size, expanding the diameter, and back to the start again ... but guess what, I have a working reading light!!!! I'd have to say it's actually better than the OE one - a bit more 'sturdy' feeling when pressing the button ... I may not know much, but I am tenacious!! Thanks everyone for your comments, if you ever need one, let me know - I'm a spring making professional now. LOL ...

Chops
10th October 2010, 06:34 PM
Cant think of anything better to do on a Sunday, good one.

Woof
10th October 2010, 06:42 PM
Right - had enough of not finding what I wanted, so I decided to make my own - grabbed a spring from a biro (too long, too compressed and too hard) and spent the next hour or so stretching it, cutting it to size, expanding the diameter, and back to the start again ... but guess what, I have a working reading light!!!! I'd have to say it's actually better than the OE one - a bit more 'sturdy' feeling when pressing the button ... I may not know much, but I am tenacious!! Thanks everyone for your comments, if you ever need one, let me know - I'm a spring making professional now. LOL ...

Hey McGuiver, can you make me a set of springs for my GQ out of a pen spring please lololol
Seriously well done mate, will have to remember that tip if I ever require one myself:cool:

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 08:01 PM
Chops - bucketing rain in Brissy and quite frankly, I've got cabin fever, so had the best Sunday I could whilst hanging around the house in the wet - still going (just checking in every now and then) - decided to build a toolbox/drawer for the back also - spur of the moment thing!!! Love to tinker ...
Dogman - I could be a while away for the GQ springs, but I reckon I could make a great set with some Mr Magoo glue and paddle pop sticks!!! LOL (McGuiver style of course!!!).
Thanks lads

NissanGQ4.2
10th October 2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry Bigrig, read the thread but it went straight over my head until now, are these the lights you are talking about for a 1992 GQ Ti Patrol???

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z400/toddrhind/IMG_3737.jpg
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z400/toddrhind/IMG_3736.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
10th October 2010, 08:09 PM
Hey McGuiver, can you make me a set of springs for my GQ out of a pen spring please lololol
Seriously well done mate, will have to remember that tip if I ever require one myself:cool:

Are you after a set of springs???

Chops
10th October 2010, 08:11 PM
Chops - bucketing rain in Brissy and quite frankly, I've got cabin fever, so had the best Sunday I could whilst hanging around the house in the wet

I love days like that, tinkering in the pouring rain, love to have some rain here.

Edit: For people in Brisbane, BOM have just issued a Severe Weather Warning for tonight........lucky buggers.

the ferret
10th October 2010, 08:18 PM
Hey bigrig, I hope you havn't violated any patents!! ha ha

Woof
10th October 2010, 08:18 PM
Are you after a set of springs???

No Todd just winding up people as usual mate, I just can't help it sometimes, but thanks for the inquiry mate:cool:

NissanGQ4.2
10th October 2010, 08:26 PM
No Todd just winding up people as usual mate, I just can't help it sometimes, but thanks for the inquiry mate:cool:

No worries, have a set of 4inch Dobinsons springs sitting in the shed....was thinking about selling them but at the same time thinking its about time i put them back in....one of these days..... just cant be bothered atm.... no real need for them..... you can conquer anything in a stantand gq patrol anyway :) *L*

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 09:47 PM
Todd - that's exactly what I was after old mate - I ended up pulling mine completely apart, resoldering just about every wire, and as said 'constructing' a spring to suit - works a treat now!!! Someone had it apart previously (don't know why) coz the insides were a mess, and they left screwdriver marks where they had tried to pull it apart (without removing the screws first I dare say!!) ... oh well, it was a good Sunday after all ...

Chops - absolutely pissing down up here - I live in the bayside area and we've had about 6 inches of rain in the last 24 hours ... unbelievable - wettest Sept in 12 years, and Brisbane has already exceeded it's average for October!!! Feel for you guys over there - I got a couple of mates in Perth and Manjimup who are both 'men of the land' so no doubt they are praying for a bit.

Ferret - don't think so mate, although I reckon I broke the record for profanities whilst I was doing it!!! The missus didn't know a little spring could have so many alternative names!!! LOL

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 09:54 PM
I'm about half way through the toolbox also - I'll post some pics this week - rough job (built the whole frame this arvo), but essentially, I didn't want drawers as I've got 4 kids and 3 dogs, so the seven seats are needed to be down all the time. What I decided to do is build a semi-permanent box with a flip top lids with key locks (security) to house the tools and recovery gear on one side, and fluids (oil, water, coolant, power steering/brake fluid, fire extinguisher, etc) on the other - split roughly 2/3 to the tools etc and 1/3 to the fluids. Going to spray the inside with rubberised waterproofing paint (or whatever it's called) and finish the outside with a dark carpet/felt finish similar to the drawer systems out there. Lets me keep all the gear in the car, carry the dogs on top if needs be, and stop all my gear flying around on every decent bump (using the tie down hook holes to fix it in place) ... rough and ready, but practicle, and at least I can say I had a lash ...

Chops
11th October 2010, 03:31 AM
Going to spray the inside with rubberised waterproofing paint (or whatever it's called)

There is some gear called Raptor Spray on Bed Liner which comes in a kit. Apparently you can get it from Auto Pro & Auto One stores, and it apparently retails for around $260.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDpYIT6VkA

Bigrig
11th October 2010, 08:26 AM
That's the stuff - thanks mate.

Finly Owner
11th October 2010, 10:48 PM
Now listen hear BigRig

Bega rd wreckers for patrol parts, Ph: 3208 5466 ask for Steve.
14 Bega rd kingston

also tray liner needs to be continuously sprayed until your tray is lined, as it goes hard qik, and if you stop half way through, it will go hard in gun.

Bigrig
12th October 2010, 09:44 AM
Finly - I'm listening, I'm listening!!!!! LOL Got it mate - appreciate the info, and trust me, the next time I'm stuck for something that finnicky, I'll definitely be hunting around more - that spring that I made cost about $30 ... at least that's what a pack of smokes and a 6 pack of gold that I chewed through whilst doing it cost me!!!!

Finly Owner
12th October 2010, 09:52 PM
Smokes, booze, stress, cash lost, = heart attack, so go release some stress out on some tracks with Rig and rest heart again Mate.

LOL

Tim

Bigrig
13th October 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm printing your 'prescription' and giving it straight to the missus so she's knows it's on professional advice!!! LOL

Finly Owner
13th October 2010, 11:03 PM
Lol..................................