PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Storage

GQ snail
19th June 2012, 12:30 PM
Hay Team.

Here is some pics of my rear storage system. Nocked it up myself, helps being a chippy. :)

It has two storage box for draws, and a third space which houses two rescue tracks at this stage, will make that into a box soon. The forward section houses a 90L water blader which is plubed into a tap at the rear doors, also has storage just behind rear seats that as you can see holds my axe, as well as two sections to hold those knick knack bits in easy reach. Has a battery box mounted on it with a deep cycle batter inside, this is going to be wired into dual battery system making it a tri battery system, plenty of power for those looooooong trips away.

Silver
19th June 2012, 02:16 PM
That's very neat looking GQsnail - shows your professional touch I guess!

Please don't be offended, and you probably already have a plan for this: do you think you might be putting too much faith in that strap on the battery box if you have a crash - or is there more holding it in place?

GQ snail
19th June 2012, 02:33 PM
That's very neat looking GQsnail - shows your professional touch I guess!

Please don't be offended, and you probably already have a plan for this: do you think you might be putting too much faith in that strap on the battery box if you have a crash - or is there more holding it in place?

Def no offence taken, I do appreciate the thought. I have mounted and bolted it down to the top side of shelving. There is a solid plate in bottom of box ensuring is nice and solid. Hoping this ensures my head remains intact if I am in an accident

Sir Roofy
19th June 2012, 08:35 PM
would it be better to place the battery box lower say in front of one of your bins
looks a bit dangerous sitting up there

megatexture
19th June 2012, 10:34 PM
yea i thought the same those straps are real cheap with a plastic buckle if thats the one thats supplied with the batt box swap it for a metal one that tightens down when pressure is applied other then that looks sweet and i like the water blader.

Silver
19th June 2012, 10:41 PM
I think GQsnail said that he installed a plate inside the box, so the battery box is sandwiched between the plate and the top of the drawer unit.

I am not qualified to say whether that is strong enough, but it is an improvement on the strap alone :-)

megatexture
20th June 2012, 12:00 AM
I read that part but if the strap fails the battery may lift out of the box was what I was thinking . I'm only thinking worst case scenario here

GQ snail
20th June 2012, 09:57 AM
I see the box has created a topic of convo. Again thank you all for concidering my safety in this. This is the reason I am on here also shows we are all mate due to our interests, and have each others backs.

I will be installing cage between cargo and main area in next few months also.

I have attached a few more photos of the box set up, I do hope this shows a bit more of the safety features. ** Note, photo is mock up only, using starter battery I have spare **. Strap is only to hold lid down.

Cheers

Sir Roofy
20th June 2012, 10:06 AM
Mmmmmmmm hope she dont overcharge the gases
cuold make you crook

GQ snail
20th June 2012, 10:20 AM
Mmmmmmmm hope she dont overcharge the gases
cuold make you crook

Hay Roofy.

The actual battery I use in this set up is a fully sealed non servicable battery. Which the battery blokes tell me wont leak any fumes if ove charged, they are designed to be used in caravans. The one shown is just there to show its strapped down and wont fly around.

Sir Roofy
20th June 2012, 10:33 AM
hay roofy.

The actual battery i use in this set up is a fully sealed non servicable battery. Which the battery blokes tell me wont leak any fumes if ove charged, they are designed to be used in caravans. The one shown is just there to show its strapped down and wont fly around.

excellent then,just a strange place to put a battery tis all

GQ snail
20th June 2012, 05:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the input. I have now decided to remove battery box from the rear shelves, safety concerns. Going to set it up in the trailer now

Cheers

megatexture
20th June 2012, 05:37 PM
being bolted down like that prob would have been ok, thought on trailer is a better idea definitely .

Sir Roofy
21st June 2012, 12:29 PM
thank you everyone for the input. I have now decided to remove battery box from the rear shelves, safety concerns. Going to set it up in the trailer now

cheers

good on you mate trailer most likely the best place for it
for safety

HammerBuilder
26th June 2012, 06:51 PM
Great cheap n easy alternative to those thousand dollar plus models.
good job n yeah like the others I'd be putting the battery lower down just to keep heavy weights lower center of gravity n stuff
N yeah definately for you n ya family health lol
take care great work n I also like to hear peoples ideas so if theres any other cheap ideas for GQ snail bring them on as we all
may benifit...

daggy
8th August 2012, 09:58 AM
Great job, and while you looked like having the battery sorted, much safer to have it lower or even better in the trailer so not having the extra weight to cart around every day.

chevracer383
25th August 2012, 09:16 AM
Hey GQ snail. Nice work on the shelves. What kind of battery did give you. I'm doing an engine conversion on my car at the moment and the only battery that I can use without having it vented to the outside of the vehicle was an optima.

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2012, 11:53 AM
This thread has been moved over to the DIY, Storage sub-section

Cheers

Todd