PDA

View Full Version : LPG safety

knightpatrol66
19th June 2012, 01:18 AM
Hi all

Got this e-mail today from a mate about some guys out at Dampier.....Guess they got a bit of a shock when this happened...yes I know it's a Landie, but the point remains....Keep an eye on ya gear and get it tested...I did notice from the pics that there appeared to be no shield fitted under this tank as in one shot you can see right through it...Pretty stupid place to put the cylinder in my opinion....The guy in the shot suffered only the cut to his head ( thankfully) he was in the passenger seat at the time. My own tank ( lives down the back of my Y60) is out for testing at the moment due to RWC but I reckon if ya gear is getting on people...get it checked, cause stuff can happen.. be safe all

Knightpatrol

taslucas
19th June 2012, 07:45 AM
wow thats pretty dodgy! How come it split? Did they pierce it in something or was it an explosion? Either way theres some lessons to be learnt there!!

97_gq_lwb
19th June 2012, 11:31 AM
I was always under the impression that the pressure release valve would open up on lpg tanks and burn off any excess pressure in a fire.
Until one day whilst in the bush i came across a burn't out car with an exploded lpg tank.
It was split open so bad the center sheet of steel that wraps around was almost flat.

Tank
19th June 2012, 12:05 PM
I was always under the impression that the pressure release valve would open up on lpg tanks and burn off any excess pressure in a fire.
Until one day whilst in the bush i came across a burn't out car with an exploded lpg tank.
It was split open so bad the center sheet of steel that wraps around was almost flat.

In thery the preasue valve will let tye gas escape so that it can be burnt off to prevent then big bang from happening but quite often the valve can't let enogh gas through fast enough so then they ruputure or if it is a small 5 or 9kg cylinder they pop the whole valve assenble out.
When we go to a fire if we come accross a gas clyinder we stand clear and just keep ne hose constantly pouring water on it till everything is out and cold

Silver
19th June 2012, 02:22 PM
looks like there was no fire here - if so, I guess they were very very lucky in being unlucky?

my third 256
19th June 2012, 02:55 PM
strange place to put the lpg
wasnt there a problem with f100s in america havins side impacts and the petrol tank would explode

Les Penrose
3rd September 2012, 05:44 PM
Shows how fragile life is. The bloke is pretty lucky.

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 06:55 PM
Makes me hope the bash plate on mine is real strong

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 07:03 PM
Way too volatile as a fuel IMO, With the price now per litre maybe gas has run its race,
The bash plate is either embedded in the ground or 4 k away lol

My Third think the F100 tank thing was the plastic tanks exploding

NP99
14th February 2013, 01:32 AM
It's all safe until an unskilled dyi has a go:-(