PDA

View Full Version : Stock Tyre Size and Max Legal Tyre Size - 97 RD28 Patrol

BigRemz
8th October 2010, 10:39 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble trying to locate the legal size of my tyres as the previous owner removed the placard in the car and no where on the net seems to have an idea. I have 265/75 BFG muddies at the moment but would like something in a 33 or close to it.

Can anyone help? :D

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 11:08 PM
You will be fine with those in Qld. As long as you make sure you have guard coverage to the outside of the tyre. This can be the rubber moulded type from clark rubber etc.

BigRemz
8th October 2010, 11:10 PM
What's the biggest I can go legally (of course) Finly?

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure of the biggest you can run full time. If YNOT comes on he may be able to give you a heads up on this as he runs big tyres whenheading out. And has his head around some legal stuff too.

Of course tyre shops will sell and fit anything, as it's up to consumer to check out legallity.

Try qld transport website for info as this can be more handy than people think.

Tim

AB
8th October 2010, 11:18 PM
I know 32's are ok in Qld but you guys have the toughest law out of all the states.

Don't quote me but unfortunately I think 33's are no good up there.

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sure the young fella at work is on 33's and got pulled over a day after he put them on and was given a warning to put on the guard extensions. But I may be wrong they may be 32's. I'll check 2moro.

BigRemz
8th October 2010, 11:36 PM
The reason I ask is because I've been looking at the MT-762 Bighorns as my new tires come replacement time. I've been looking at a 305/70R16 and the 285/75R16. Although I believe the 305 has a wider track and exactly the same outside diameter as the 285/75

YNOT
8th October 2010, 11:38 PM
If you have a factory wide wheel pack, then standard tyre size is 31/10.5R15 or 265/70R16 (metric 31" tyre) depending on model.
While I'm not sure exactly what the tyre size laws are it is generally accepted that you can increase to 33/12.5R15 or 285/75R16 (metric 33" tyre).
I've been running 285/75R16 tyres on my last 3 Patrols without any problems-I'm more worried about what the authorities think of my 5 inch suspension lift!!!

Tony

YNOT
8th October 2010, 11:41 PM
305/70R16 is the same diameter as 285/75R16 but obviously wider. I use a second hand 305 as my spare.
305's are more expensive to buy.

Tony

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 11:42 PM
about time you showed up. Thanks for helping Tony. Whens the next meeting Mate?

BigRemz
8th October 2010, 11:43 PM
I'd take it that it came with the factory wide wheel pack as it has the moulded flares (fibreglass) that look like standard chop on the GQ. Unfortunately I'm second owner and the previous seller had it passed on from a family member to sell. I know the limit in QLD is no more than 15mm over the existing Outside Diameter which is silly because being the 31 inch (265/75) it is, tire manafacturers fail to cater to the large gap between say a 265/75 to a 285/75 without breaking the law if i were to fit them

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry guys, without meaning to sound like a smarta#se, everyone is sort of correct, and sort of wrong - there are two guides in QLD that relate to vehicle modifications - and as per evey other government guide around, they are vague at best EXCEPT around tyres ... PM me if you want a copy for yourself. They're a bit of a joke as you wouldn't expect to get picked up with 33" tyres (which I have myself), but funnily enough, a mate at my house at this very moment works for Qld Transport and gets me the inside goss and latest updates ... essentially you cannot place tyres on the vehicle that exceed +15mm or -26mm in diameter from the largest original equipment supplier standard ... you can change rim size etc all you like, but the corresponding tyres to go back on essentially have to have the same diameter as a 265/75 ... yes, I hear you ... its ridiculous ... you also can apparently go to 1.5 times the OE width, which again, is ridiculous if you consider this has to comply with the above measurement standard - so what is the point of the government telling you that a 397.5mm wide tyre (1.5 x 265) is legal, but by the way boys and girls, it can't increase more than 15mm in diameter ... typical of the left hand not talking to the right hand - for what it's worth (yes, a rant coming) I personally reckon that we are YEARS away from it actually being legislated in any way, shape or form, and so long as you know the workings of the guides to use in your favour, most boys in blue would let you off "with a warning" ... can't quite recall when us 4wd'ers became a worse scourge to society than rapists, burglars, paedophiles, arsonists, thieves, etc, etc ... can't wait for the first cop to pull me over and start taking measurements, I'll rattle off that "the centre of the headlights are less than 1200mm off the ground ... if that's what you're looking for officer" or "you're right officer, those tyres are more than 15mm increased in diameter, but only until the tread wears down" ... rant complete ...

I feel better, how about all of you??? What was the question??

Finly Owner
9th October 2010, 10:44 PM
And after that,

My memory was right, fella at work does have 33s on his trol, and was only warned to put on guard extensions.

I'm not saying they're allowed, just that you can get away with them.

Bigrig
10th October 2010, 12:47 AM
Yep - guard extensions or flares are the one thing in the guides that aren't specifically covered - essentially I believe, because the guidelines are so ridiculous that if you can get on your vehicle what they specify as legal, then you are probably more than entitled (and legal) to put on flares etc to cover them ... sad bunch they are at DOT!!

BigRemz
13th October 2010, 06:26 PM
One of the boys at work used to be a tyre fitter for Bridgestone. The legal way about getting 33s fitted without fouling the law, is to fit a 15 inch tire and rim. This way I could go 285/75 R 15 and only lose out slightly on load rating

allenb
13th October 2010, 06:30 PM
hi your friendly local RAC technical adviser may be able to help you.

allenb
13th October 2010, 06:31 PM
or try the owner's manual

BigRemz
13th October 2010, 06:44 PM
Car didn't come with an owner's manual when I bought it from the previous owner and the Gregory's workshop manual isn't much of a help either unfortunately

roby_b
14th August 2011, 11:32 PM
Hi I was just reading that they are changing the laws in qld to meet the vsb14
this basically says you can raise your car 50mm with out being checked by an engineer
you can lift it upto 150mm if an engineer signs off on it, but tyre size comes down to you can not increase it by more than 50mm of original factory fitted size. so as that patrol comes with 31" you can put 33x12.5xR?? under it as maximum size.

also note if you install long range fuel tanks an engineer should also inspect your car.

YNOT
14th August 2011, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Roby, where are you from and what Patrol do you drive?

Tony