PDA

View Full Version : MQ / MK Replacement Front Seats

Chops
8th October 2010, 07:28 PM
Having buggered front seats in my MK Patrol, I decided to look for replacements. Since decent factory Patrol seats are hard to find, I decided on trying to fit different seats. Some people have fitted seats from a VL Commodore, and also various Ford models, and other makes and models.

As I don't like Ford parts in my cars, I decided to try the seats out of a VL Commodore I found at the local tip. They were in pretty good condition, and were free so I jumped at it. When I found time to try and fit them, I found there was going to be a fair bit of fabrication as these seats are a bit wider than the Patrol seats.

I left if for a few weeks, then one day I found a Nissan Pulsar at the tip. The seats were still in it, and were in bloody good condition, so after checking them over, I decided they looked pretty close to fitting, and I ripped them out, took them home to give them a go.

When I started to fit them, they looked pretty easy to adapt for the Patrol brackets which was a bonus, since I no longer have much in the way of a welder, and it appeared I would only need a drill, and a 4 inch grinder.

Well so far, because of moving several times, and various other things, I have only been able to do half the passenger side. In the next week or two, I intend on finishing both seats as it needs to go over the pits very soon, and I still have a fair bit to do. I will add some photos of the transformation very soon.

Chops
15th October 2010, 12:28 AM
This job looks like it may have to wait until I return from Perth around the first week in November.

cleetus
14th December 2010, 08:42 PM
i put vn commodore seats in my mq was not to much of a hassle a bit of welding but worked. look ugly but work

MQ MAD
21st December 2010, 10:52 AM
Ive got 1986 Mazda 626 seats in an MQ here
Near 99.9% bolt in replacement
Use the mazda seats bolted to the factory nissan runners
Even the same bone colour as the MQ

sarge1950au
22nd December 2010, 06:17 PM
I fitted bluebird seats in mine, and was relatively simple job!

KINGRAT502
5th February 2011, 12:26 PM
hey there
a good seat to use is a series 2 or 3 bluebird trx ,,come in blue or light brown,,but are easy to fit and are sporty

OutbackMK
5th August 2011, 07:42 PM
Suzuki GTI (for shorty) have tilt forward for Passenger side. Bolts similar two can be used two need to be moved. (I bolted a bit of 4"X1" onto slide to fit. Very comfortable!

old grumpy
18th November 2012, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys & Girls,
I've trolled through a heck of a lot of posts on about as many forums, and when it comes to swapping front seats, even in an MQ every one seems to be talking about a pair of bucket seats in the first row (driver's/pasenger's seats).
My front seats aren't the best and I'd like to change them, BUT, I've got one bucket seat and one 3/4 bench seat. the bench seat has no runners (fixed position) and the inboard fixing is way over on top of the tunnel, there appears to be no pre-existing mounting points in the body to accomodate a second bucket. Does anybody happen to know if it's possible to alter this arrangement to two buckets without serious cutting and shutting of the bodywork?
Regards.
Rob.

georges80
18th November 2012, 02:59 PM
old grumpy:

My MQ (1980 model) came stock with the bench and single driver's side bucket. My old man bought a patrol a few years later (1982 model) with 2 front buckets. We traded since he wanted the bench and I wanted his bucket seat.

All the mounting holes existed in the 1980 and 1982 models to swap seats. Obviously we had all the original brackets etc for the job, but there was no need to drill any holes etc etc.

cheers,
george.

old grumpy
18th November 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks George,
I must be honest and say that I've inspected the floor as far as I'm able without actually removing the (rubber) mat which is resisting removal due to the ....almost interference fit,..of the heater outlet. I will eventually get it out, but in the mean time it's good to know that somewhere under there, there are appropriate fixing points.
cheers,
Rob.