PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel wobble

litrecar7
8th October 2010, 06:43 PM
Have been getting a wobble in the steering wheel.
Have replaced steering damper and no better, got whell align and balance a little better.
But after jacking up the front the rh side wheel ahas a bit of play in the wheel bearing .
Can anybody shed some light
thanks

NissanGQ4.2
8th October 2010, 06:54 PM
this thread may help with your issues

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?838-Death-Wobbles&highlight=wobble

or

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?198-Alignment-Issues&highlight=wobble&p=1679#post1679

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 10:36 PM
I have given some tips back at your intro. But sounds like the spacers/bearings in steering pivot

the ferret
8th October 2010, 11:46 PM
So it must be a very reputable wheel alignment mob, if they didn't pick up on the loose wheel bearing??? have you had the rears balanced at all? Check the pivot bearings and pins, panhard bushes etc. Also it's a Bit hard to diagnose without the model, cheers.

EDIT: Ok so it's a 2005, so I'd say panhard bushes at this stage, thats if adjusting the wheel bearing/s doesn't help, good luck.

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 06:05 PM
yeah my car had some good wobb;les and i find changing the panhard bushes fixed it in a second they were deffinetly the cause in my car. my car also chews through these cause i have longer springs but not adjustable panhard rods so my body doesn't sit dead even with the axels.

litrecar7
28th November 2010, 01:05 PM
thanks fot your help will try panhard bushes.
Took it to a mechaninic and he told me it was the shocks
So shocks get replaced but still a wobble

litrecar7
1st December 2010, 07:04 PM
Well just replaced panhard bar bushes but wobble still there at 80 to 90 klm
Any other suggestions

Finly Owner
1st December 2010, 10:57 PM
check post 3 in this thread

tkn
6th December 2010, 04:07 PM
I'll throw this one because it is unusual and might help someone. I had an intermittant wobble in the steering, sometimes when braking and other times not. It seemed to be coming from the left hand front. But jacking the wheel and checking bears, linkages, steering box and all that stuff went nowhere. When it came time to change the front brake pads, the left hand front pads were worn down to about 3mm, no dramas there. But the right hand front pads were worn on an angle from top to bottom i.e. the brake compound was about 6mm thick at the top and 1mm at the bottom of the outer pad and vice versa for the inner pad. The person who last changed the pads (before I bought the vehicle - GQ can chassis) had misaligned the spacer plates so that at one end the tabs on the plate were bent over and at the other the plate was not bearing on the caliper. Since then no wheel wobble - or should I say no steering wobble.

Finly Owner
6th December 2010, 11:41 PM
TKN what speed was that happening at most?

Tim