PDA

View Full Version : Tyre mud or all Terrain

Toha
14th June 2012, 01:38 PM
Hi guys need to buy 31x10.50r15 tyres for my gq patrol... but confused ! mostly my GQ run on the street and Highway, in that case .. i think all terrain is good.. but i have seen a star rating BEtween MT and AT. All Terrain Tyres got good ratning in street, on the other hand MT got star rating on all fields, such as , STreet, Rock , TRAil, Mud, SAnd. but in another article i have read mud tyres not good for highway specially on rainy day..... so please my forum friends and seniors i will take my decision based on you guys advice as usual... waiting for you guys valuable reply

thanks by

Toha

growler2058
14th June 2012, 01:47 PM
Running MTZ (mud) on my patrol and wife's prado great all round tyre. Both cars do get used for offload also
If most of your driving is on road with occasional mud/rock/sand an a/t such as the Mickey Thompson ATZ could be your best option ( yes I do like my Mickey T's)

Tapp tillya Crap

growler2058
14th June 2012, 01:49 PM
Whatever you choose rotating them every 5-10k is crucial for longivety (do mine every 5k including the spare)

Tapp tillya Crap

taslucas
14th June 2012, 03:40 PM
I've got cooper stt's. They are ment to be a mud tyre but are a little less aggressive than similar mud tyres e.g. Mickey Thompson mtz's or bfg mud tyres. But I find they wear better. I do 400ks on bitumen, 25ks on gravel each week and play on
Red clay and fair bit of mud on weekends. They grip beautifully on the bitumen and gravel. Drop a bit of air out and they love the clay.

Tap, crackle, pop

simdogs
14th June 2012, 04:02 PM
If just doing bitumen driving AT will be good and still go ok off road but at the same time you can get some MT that aren't super aggressive and good for on road as well.
Really just comes down to how much your willing to spend and for what purpose, could probably even get light truck tyres if just driving on road?

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2012, 04:27 PM
Definitely based on your description of use i'd be going a Micky Thompson ATZ 5 Rib for the perfect tyre for your car.Great on the road, they are a Light Truck Rated tyre i think and will still get you our of trouble on a Dry track anywhere. You will get great mileage out of them and they will serve you well.