PDA

View Full Version : mounting a roof rack onto a canopy???

clayto84
13th June 2012, 08:17 PM
G'day all,

i am trying to work out how i am going to mount my roof rack on to my alloy canopy without any guttering.
has anybody done this or are there any ideas?

Cheers Clayton

AB
13th June 2012, 09:12 PM
What about welding short lengths of pipe vertically on the sides of rack and then attach to alloy using pipe clamping. Same method on bull bars, etc.

Just a random thought anyway...

Finly Owner
13th June 2012, 09:19 PM
Or makr some mounting plates either on side of canopy or roof. I suggest nutserting some brackets on that then bolt to the rack legs.

Tim

AB
13th June 2012, 09:24 PM
Or makr some mounting plates either on side of canopy or roof. I suggest nutserting some brackets on that then bolt to the rack legs.

Tim

Yep for sure, could even nutsert all along the alloy and weld angle to rack with bolts, etc

megatexture
13th June 2012, 09:39 PM
if you can shoot up a pic of your canopy so we can see what we got to work with

moose maverick
13th June 2012, 10:51 PM
What sort of roof rack do you have? When we did a mates navara we used the front set of mounts on the cab roof then cut the back set off and welded a flat plate across the underside of the roof rack and then welded some pipe 90 degrees to the flat facing the roof with some square plates on the bottom to sit on the canopy. We then just bolted them through the canopy sealing the bolts with silicon. You couldnt stand on it but it would take the weight of the camping gear or step ladders etc.

Silver
13th June 2012, 11:28 PM
I am not sure of the details here, but I understand that the canopy will move independantly of the cab - so if the roof rack is to be connected to both the cab and the canopy, steps need to be taken to manage any damage caused by this seperate movement?

moose maverick
13th June 2012, 11:41 PM
how much flex would there be between cab and canopy?, the tub/tray would be hard mounted to chassis or thin rubber mounts like the body mounts?

Silver
13th June 2012, 11:52 PM
don't know how much flex there is - first and only time I heard it was from a work mate who bought a dual cab ute and was advised as above by one of the big accessory manufacturers.

I obviously wasn't paying enough attention :-) And there are solutions because there are plenty of utes with canopies and racks.

Bazhemps
14th June 2012, 10:22 AM
Hi,
My work vehicle (can I say it here) is a Hilux xtra cab 4x4 with canopy and roof racks. The racks are fitted to the canopy including an internal frame for strength. The flex between the canopy and the cab is substantual you can accually see it in the rear view mirror when under way. So by joining the roof rack to cab and canopy could cause structural problems IMO.
Baz