PDA

View Full Version : tyre/rim choice

macca11
11th June 2012, 09:27 AM
Hi guys,

Looking to replace the Woosung tyres (235x85x16) currently on the gq ute. It has the 6inch stocko rims on it. I only really drive it on weekends - the beach and the odd bit of bush is all I do, no mud. I was looking at bighorns but not really ideal for my application plus I want to keep it legal - rolling diameter/width and the like. I don't really want to have an expensive exercise and buy wider rims but if it will benefit to I will. I'm looking at getting a set of maxxis A/T in the same size (keeping same rims) but after advice as to wheather going wider to 265x75x16 and getting 7 or 8 inch rims would this make much difference to the capability of it in the sand?

Not overly concerned with the look just want practical really. Leaning towards airing down the skinny tyres and driving to the conditions.

Any advice or thoughts more than welcome!

Cheers
Macca

macca
11th June 2012, 09:55 AM
Morning macca11,
We put some 285/75R16 on 8" rims with a 13mm-ve offset on our GU Ute.
On the sand it floated, we went to Stockton Beach which has some very challenging dunes and they performed very well.
For regular beach work they would never give a problem - we would imagine.
Hoping they perform just as well in the Desert as that is what we bought them for.
They are Cooper AT3 and are allmost silent on the highway which is fantastic.
ROH BlackTrack Steel at $105 each.
Cheers Macca

GRA.GU
11th June 2012, 12:21 PM
Gooday Macca 11, I'm not in the position of Macca to be able to make a direct comparison as I've only ever run on the 235s. However having done quite a bit of desert travel in my Troopy on 235s, as well as some in my Patrol, and comparing the performance to others with wider tyres I think you're better off sticking with the narrower ones. Given the same correct pressures the 235s have a longer footprint than a 265, and even though the 265 is slightly wider, the contact area is almost identical. I've sometimes wondered too whether the wider"hill" in front of 265s further negates any slight advantage it has with area. In practice though I know I've pulled wider tyred vehicles out of sand bogs. Given that you'd be up for a new set of wheels to run 265s I suspect you'd be disappointed by the return for your dollar. Cheers.

megatexture
11th June 2012, 03:35 PM
i run 33s on sand (micky mtz) and have had no issues but if its just for beach work it may not be worth the added expense. If you do go larger i would steer clear of allied rims as i have cracked the welds on 2 of my rims and lost confidence in them to the point i put em in the trash ive got king rims now and had no problems to date and they are 3 yr old now

edit: there service was good both times swapping the rims even out of warranty but i just didnt feel safe on them.

GQ TANK
22nd June 2012, 09:57 PM
The 235 85 16 are the old 7.50 R16 size and 265/ 75/16 are nearly the same height but half again as wide.

I use 7.50 R16 for mud and general driving - and 265 75 16 for sand and long trips

Silver
22nd June 2012, 10:15 PM
I know there are those who prefer a wider shorter footprint, but my experience to date supports the long footprint as superior in sand.

There have been ink print tests done by the various mags over time that show that as pressure drops the footprint lengthens as well as widens, and the bigger rolling diameter tyres start with longer footprints and maintain that edge as the pressure drops.