PDA

View Full Version : 33's or 35's??????

Richo460
11th June 2012, 02:56 AM
I have 33" bighorn muddies on my gq but am wondering about a set of 35" muddies on a set of mickey thomson classic lock rims. reckon that would look sweet but i want to consider a few more factors and i need to hear from people who have had both and what they prefer.
Will 35's improve its off road performace by much?
Will 35's decrease the on road performace much?
Fuel economy i guess will be a little worse but how much is to be expected with a TD42?
Will the extra weight of 35's be a factor?
Whats the deal with reduction gears? As far as i am concearned i just want it to be revving nicely at 60, 80 and 100k's.
Any input and experiences would be appreciated.
Cheers

growler2058
11th June 2012, 07:42 AM
I really really want 35's currently got 33 mtz. But really will need reduction gears in the really steep stuff I can stall in low 1 now let alone with 35's
Edit: NA td42

Tapp tillya Crap

Richo460
11th June 2012, 09:08 PM
hmmm. How much does it cost for a set of reduction gears? Are the transfer cases in GQ's chain or gear driven? Surely it can't be too hard to install a set yourself. just take a while. but with wheels and gears it sound like an expensive time consuming excercise.

growler2058
11th June 2012, 09:18 PM
Check out big rigs members ride thread "Tank Big Grey and Ugly" or message him, hes done em and absolutely loves em

taslucas
11th June 2012, 09:35 PM
Also consider just changing the diff ratio. Downside is it affects all your gears (not just the transfer case), upside is its relatively easy to install yourself:)

growler2058
11th June 2012, 09:46 PM
Also consider just changing the diff ratio. Downside is it affects all your gears (not just the transfer case), upside is its relatively easy to install yourself:)

Yup that 2 I reckon ya wanna source from a 2.8 diesel from memory

Tapp tillya Crap

Richo460
11th June 2012, 09:56 PM
hmmm. How much does it cost for a set of reduction gears? Are the transfer cases in GQ's chain or gear driven? Surely it can't be too hard to install a set yourself. just take a while. but with wheels and gears it sound like an expensive time consuming excercise.

nissannewby
11th June 2012, 10:52 PM
35's are great for offroad. 33's are a good all round size. Your fuel economy wont vary much but your speedo will be out and in being so will actually read less on your odometer than you have actually travelled (hence thought less mileage) as a 35" tyre doesnt have to as many revolutions as say a 31" tyre over the same distance and since your speedo etc is calibrated for 31" tyres it will be out. An example of this, me and a mate travelled to gympie myself on 33's and my mate on 35's when we got to gympie (150km trip) my trip meter said i had travelled 20km further than him (both zeroed at start of journey). As 35's wont have to to do as many revolutions your engine wont have to rev as hard, 4.6 diff ratios (2.8TD) will bring your speedo and revs back it to alignment with standard. Then if you do a lot of offroading reduction gears are awesome and by memory i think retail for about 1250-1350 and a GQ transfer case is chain driven (this job can easily be tackled in your shed on a weekend). Hope this helps.

Paul C
24th June 2012, 07:25 PM
I am running 33's at the mo and have just got my hands on a set of nearly new 35" beadlocked Simex's. I am using them for the first time in a couple of weeks (GQ). I will let you know results. May have to up the boost and play around with the air / fuel ratios but everyone local reckons will be pretty sweet.

BIG PIG
6th July 2012, 07:58 AM
just wondering how you went with the 35's mate as i am looking for a set myself

just wondering how the TB42 will handle them as i cant afford reduction gears atm and will be hitting some pretty steep stuff

threedogs
6th July 2012, 09:55 AM
Thats a lot of weight rolling around may be 50 kg, will have big effect on brakes, reductions gears are $700 to $1000 from memory, MARKS and Rock hopper. Reduces all gears. you might consider the one with 10% overdrive plus the reduction on first, cant think of the brand but would be easy enough to find.

Simmoevo
6th July 2012, 11:57 AM
I noticed that each tyre was about 10kg or more heavier than my 31s

nissannewby
6th July 2012, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;243329]Thats a lot of weight rolling around may be 50 kg, will have big effect on brakes, reductions gears are $700 to $1000 from memory, MARKS and Rock hopper. Reduces all gears. you might consider the one with 10% overdrive plus the reduction on first, cant think of the brand but would be easy enough to find.[/QUO

The reduction gears which have been spoken about only change the low range gearing everything else is left factory. If your looking at running 35's all the time 4.6 diff ratios are the go to bring everything back inot line otherwise just get some low range reduction gears.

threedogs
6th July 2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks Nissannewby wasn't quite sure on that one.

joey_081
15th July 2012, 05:02 PM
I'd stick to 33's, good alrounder, better for the car, only fractionally better off road, and more costly. Simple :-)

Morton
15th July 2012, 06:45 PM
I run 35's & reduction gears on my GQ 4.2 petrol, I am totally a fan offroad, onroad it is fine aswell, does register lower speeds so you need to calibrate the speedo or fit a GPS & use this as a speedo, personally choice, GPS if cheaper & can be used for other stuff, fuel consuption should be heavier but I have a serious fuel issue atm so cannot tell any difference,

megatexture
15th July 2012, 11:57 PM
something to keep in mind is if you change your diff ratios to suit 35"s you wont be able to run your 31s without reving the guts out of it.

Paul C
14th August 2012, 08:16 AM
Gidday Big Pig. Sorry about slow reply. The 35" Simex are the bomb. If I want to spin them I need to be in low ratio but otherwise oh my god. These are awesome. I drove through bogs I did not imagine I would ever be able to get through. Got stuck in one bog about 100mm below bottom of windows. Thick sludgy mud. Put her in reverse for a bit then back into forward and just climbed out. I would not use them on the sand or loose shingly stuff as way too agressive and would just bury themselves in a flash but on trails, climbing slope etc wow. In high ratio they were good for general but in the soup definately low ratio (With about 12 lbs of boost). You will not regret having these bad boys. Downsides are hard to balance (In some places near a kilo of weight on the rims anmd still wobbly as all hell) and road noise. At 50 kmph they are loud. At 65 kmph starting to sound like a helicopter. Looking for a trailer now so can drive to trails on road tyres in comfort and relative quiet and then switch over. Also avoids the shakes when coming home on rims that are full off mud and even more unbalanced.

97_gq_lwb
14th August 2012, 09:28 AM
The tb42 usually comes with 3.9 diffs check your tag it says trans axel code then hh39 or hg 39 etc so i would think that 4.3 diffs from an rb30 patrol would be ideal for 35,s.
As the td42 comes with 4.1 i left the 4.6 diffs in an they work great with 35,s.
35's are great off road but do have road noise this may vary quite a bit between tread patterns and tyres though.

healy
14th August 2012, 03:09 PM
The tb42 usually comes with 3.9 diffs check your tag it says trans axel code then hh39 or hg 39 etc so i would think that 4.3 diffs from an rb30 patrol would be ideal for 35,s.
As the td42 comes with 4.1 i left the 4.6 diffs in an they work great with 35,s.
35's are great off road but do have road noise this may vary quite a bit between tread patterns and tyres though.
Rb30 has 4.3 that's what I had but needed 4.6s as I was losing power With 4.3s 4.6s made all good again

healy
14th August 2012, 03:10 PM
But if your after 4.3s I've got the crown and pinion for front and rear in good condition

healy
14th August 2012, 03:19 PM
Reduction gears are $1250from marks adapters and 4.6s are $695 each end just for the crown and pinion then you will need an overhaul kit about $240 each end I 'twas going to do the install my self but if your out a little bit on measurements etc you could F it all up I'd pay an expert to do it. I bought my 35s, 4.6s overhaul kit and got it installed with a front locker everything done drive away cost $4800 it's not cheap to run 35s but now I know it's gonna be reliable

89gqpatrol4x4
14th August 2012, 05:59 PM
Reduction gears are $1250from marks adapters and 4.6s are $695 each end just for the crown and pinion then you will need an overhaul kit about $240 each end I 'twas going to do the install my self but if your out a little bit on measurements etc you could F it all up I'd pay an expert to do it. I bought my 35s, 4.6s overhaul kit and got it installed with a front locker everything done drive away cost $4800 it's not cheap to run 35s but now I know it's gonna be reliable

hey healy, Just wondering what lift you run and if you have cut your guards. I have a set on 35 inch centerpedes in the garage waiting for me but I need a lift kit but am unsure as what to get to avoid scrubbing. Some suggest using front bump stops on the rear.

healy
14th August 2012, 06:39 PM
I've got a gu 2" lift sits about 80 odd mm bit 3" and a 2" body lift I will be doing bump stops soon as Im still trying to find best option for them length. Quarter chop will come when I'm gonna do a full respray till then if they get trashed I don't care lol from what I've heard 35s will always scrub if you got some ideas on bump stops let me know ppl sorry for hijacking the post