PDA

View Full Version : 4WD GPS Map Tracking (live tracking)

Bigrig
7th October 2010, 08:37 PM
G'day all

probably been discussed heaps, and had a quick squiz through older threads etc, however, apart from spending serious bucks, I'm yet to find anything. I've got an older GPS unit which doesn't map tracks as such, and even so, in a lot of off-road areas you need the topographical map through your friendly state government body (sarcasm, yes). Trying to avoid buying a new GPS as it literally only for this, and have tried a few of the iPhone apps, and other assorted goodies on the net, but they're all fairly ordinary. Has anyone gotten hold of something specific (even if it means a new GPS), where you can GPS track the vehicle on the fly, add your own labels to tracks/areas etc, and then upload the lot onto a reasonably high quality map? Specific place I want to do this for is Beerburrum State Forest, Belthorpe State Forest and the Glasshouse Mountains area ... Google Maps doesn't cut it by the way and heaps of the tracks aren't even visible ...

Would be more than interested to hear your tale ...

Thanks heaps in advance ...

Woof
7th October 2010, 09:34 PM
Hey mate check these out, will run OziExplorer as well: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-GPS-HD-Car-Navigation-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-4GB-/350384036671?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item5194841b3f

Bigrig
7th October 2010, 09:58 PM
That's what I'm after ... thanks mate. My only concern with these 'too good to be true' offers though is that there's always a catch - for instance, this one is a great price, but how much are the map modules that you have to buy in order to download your tracks to a computer/laptop?? (last one I sussed out was $220 for the detailed topo of just the region I was after) ... maybe I'm just getting cynical the more I hunt and fail to find something ... there's gotta be something!!!!

Thanks for the information - I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow (my missus is ebay mad, so she can do it) and try to get some more details on what I'm after specifically - if it appears the goods, I'll be sure to post it up on the site and buy Dogman a beer!!!!

Woof
7th October 2010, 10:22 PM
There are about 9 of us in my club that are using these including myself, they are a great unit.
Will send you a PM.

Bigrig
8th October 2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks mate - as said, I'm going to look into it today ... thanks fro the advice.

heyhey_guess_who
8th October 2010, 04:47 PM
I have the Hema maps on my Computers, ebay GPS and iPhone.
I have an Asus Eee Pc (really small laptop) ($100 off ebay in New condition) that runs Oziexplorer, my Macbook Pro runs Ozi, my $40 ebay GPS runs Ozi + Route 66 + Garmin + Tom Tom & my iPhone runs Bit Map which is similar to Ozi.

Bigrig
8th October 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks mate - what is Bit Map for iPhone (I'll have a hunt through the apps store for it) - I downloaded Memory Map but the GPS part of it was not that precise - example: I did the one 'test' they allow you to do prior to purchase, and when it located me for the start of the test run, the pinpoint was about 80 metres (next street over) away from me, and it basically stayed like that for a couple of kilometres till I decided to kill it ...

NissanGQ4.2
8th October 2010, 06:44 PM
I think setting up something like Nissan Kid (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?127-Nissan-Kid) is the only way to go, I would love to have one in mine :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?171-My-Diy-Roof-Console-UHF-amp-Mac-Mini&highlight=mini

heyhey_guess_who
9th October 2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks mate - what is Bit Map for iPhone (I'll have a hunt through the apps store for it) - I downloaded Memory Map but the GPS part of it was not that precise - example: I did the one 'test' they allow you to do prior to purchase, and when it located me for the start of the test run, the pinpoint was about 80 metres (next street over) away from me, and it basically stayed like that for a couple of kilometres till I decided to kill it ...
Bit Map is about $2 from the App Store (http://nixanz.com/iphone), I have only just started to use it and Im uploading the Hema maps onto it and it take a little while to setup the whole of Aus lol. Version 3 is coming out later in the month, which will allow you to directly upload Oziexplorer format maps, so if you plan on using Hema maps, I would wait for that updated version so you don't have to convert all the map formats over for the current version.
When you say the GPS wasn't accurate, was it the GPS receiver, the program or the maps you where using?

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks mate - I'd say it was the GPS receiver (my iPhone) - software seems to work, but the receiving of the signal seems to be random at best (I've only got to sit under the back patio area and it doesn't even pick up where I am - still have full phone service etc, but the GPS concept seems to go out the window). Here's how it went - turned on the software whilst in my car on the driveway as I was going to use the trial to 'track' a trip down the shops and back (you get one go at it before it shuts it off and asks you to pay for the full version), and when I selected 'allow Memory Map to use my current location' it pinpointed me in the next street away from where I was situated - thinking it would pick up my location as I began the trip, but low and behold, as I started to move, the pinpoint started to move as though it was following me but ended up in the forestry reserve near us as opposed to the streets I was traversing ... long and short of it is I think I need to spend the dollars and get something specifically designed for it - was simply trying to get something that I could use when going through state forests etc to add my own labels to tracks etc (i.e. didn't want to buy a new GPS as the one I have does roads just fine - just doesn't track routes). Thanks for all the feedback everyone - greatly appreciated. Time to stop being a cheapskate and outlay some funds on it ....

Bigrig
9th October 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm going to give the console a lash myself also - great job Nissan Kid ...