PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light on GU

Superoo
10th June 2012, 10:36 AM
Hi all,
I've tried searching old posts but still haven't had much luck in finding out about wiring up the drivers side reverse light in my GU.
I've had a feel around in the right hand light and there seems to be a few wires in there,are they the correct wires to get the job done?
The other solution is to buy of EBay the complete light and loom but I only want the drivers side reverse light to work as the left hand side does. I still can't believe they only have one that works as standard.
Also while I have you interested to get the rear lens out is it a simple task of removing the two screws inside that rear panel? And then what about fitting the globe and connector to the lens or is all that in there already?
Cheers John.

04OFF
10th June 2012, 11:20 AM
Hi mate, rather me try explain what to do.....

If you go to the search box (in the top right hand corner) type in the words "gu tail light replacement", you should get all the info you need :D

bushytas
10th June 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi all,
I've tried searching old posts but still haven't had much luck in finding out about wiring up the drivers side reverse light in my GU.
I've had a feel around in the right hand light and there seems to be a few wires in there,are they the correct wires to get the job done?
The other solution is to buy of EBay the complete light and loom but I only want the drivers side reverse light to work as the left hand side does. I still can't believe they only have one that works as standard.
Also while I have you interested to get the rear lens out is it a simple task of removing the two screws inside that rear panel? And then what about fitting the globe and connector to the lens or is all that in there already?
Cheers John.

Hi Superoo
I’ve replaced my rear light and wired them in about a year ago.

Now what you want to do I very easy I will try and get some pictures tomorrow to help you do what you want to do
But in saying that you will need to buy some wire single core around 3 meters connectors 1 pack and a globe holder plus 5W globe.

It’s easy as
You need to remove you rear light from the driver’s side, there are 2 nuts for memory 10mm in behind the jack.

once you have it out Drill out the area where the reverse light is suppose to fit, file it out so you can place the holder locks in or you can glue it in whatever you wish to do.

wiring is easy, go to the left side find the wires to the globe one is + the other is - clip scotch locks over the wires run to the other side under you carpet ,using connectors or soldering iron connect them and put it back together

AS I said I will try and get some pictures tomorrow I’ve been drinking tonight so hopeful this post makes sense for you :)

oncedisturbed
10th June 2012, 08:28 PM
gonna watch this thread as yet another mod to do, just need to work how the hell I undo the wing kit for my outback drawers so i can access my lights lol

bushytas
10th June 2012, 09:13 PM
Hi mate, rather me try explain what to do.....

If you go to the search box (in the top right hand corner) type in the words "gu tail light replacement", you should get all the info you need :D

OK so i just went out and took some pictures hope it helps you
Thought i better do it not or i forget tomorrow lol

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012323.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012324.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012325.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012326.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012328.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012332.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012333.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012335.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/10062012336.jpg

Lieney
12th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Bushytas
Love the step by step & pics.
I wish I saw your thread before I went and did mine.
Makes it faster and easier than searching and testing.
I believe there is wiring in the right hand panel for those lights, but removing the drawers was not happening that nights.

bushytas
12th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Bushytas
Love the step by step & pics.
I wish I saw your thread before I went and did mine.
Makes it faster and easier than searching and testing.
I believe there is wiring in the right hand panel for those lights, but removing the drawers was not happening that nights.

I would be interested to know if there is wiring in the drivers side I did have a look when i was placing the light in but i could find any. mind you it was easy to wire in from the left hand side

my third 256
13th June 2012, 07:36 AM
no wiring in drivers side/ have had a look at the wiring diagrams

Superoo
17th June 2012, 10:52 AM
Hi, thanks for the great pics I'll defiantly give it a go.
Cheers John.
P.S. so as your pics show your tail lights also work am I better off buying on eBay the replacement left and right fully wired lights and install them with myself running the wires across?
Cheers.

oncedisturbed
17th June 2012, 12:03 PM
this what I am looking at doing (Ebay Lights) that way when the unfortunate happes, I will at least have a spare set just in case they break

bushytas
17th June 2012, 01:44 PM
Hi, thanks for the great pics I'll defiantly give it a go.
Cheers John.
P.S. so as your pics show your tail lights also work am I better off buying on eBay the replacement left and right fully wired lights and install them with myself running the wires across?
Cheers.

HI John

Putting in the new lights is a bit more involved but can be done

Let me know if you’re going to do this and I will try and make a step by step guide. EBay has the lights for around the $130 mark now cheap as chips, to buy the factory ones would cost the same as buying another 4wd :)

jack
17th June 2012, 11:14 PM
Hi busytas, following this post with interest. Would love a step by step on the tail light setup.
Cheers
Apollofish

bushytas
18th June 2012, 12:52 AM
Hi busytas, following this post with interest. Would love a step by step on the tail light setup.
Cheers
Apollofish

i will try and get the time tomorrow mate see how i go

Cheers
Brendon

oncedisturbed
18th June 2012, 10:12 AM
am following as well, now that I have the manual for the outback drawers so I can remove the side wing kits to access my tail lilghts.

bushytas
18th June 2012, 11:51 AM
OK here’s the easy way to wire in your lights
You will need
5 meters of 5 core trailer wire
2 plugs 5 or 6 pin I used computer power plugs from inside the case OME would be better but no one stocked them here
A soldering iron
A 10mm socket and ratchet
Philips head screwdriver
Flat screwdriver
A knife or wire strippers.
You will be wiring them to the trailer plug it’s the easiest way I know of
NOTE: For reverse lights you will need to use the wire from the reverse light on the left hand side and run the wire across to the driver’s side

5 Core Trailer wire

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012339.jpg

First step is to remove on either side of the 4wd two 10mm bolts that hold in the lights

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012340.jpg

After you remove the lights and soldered your plugs on run the wires.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012342.jpg

As you will see there is a grommet on either side as shown

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012343.jpg

This isn’t a neat job but it works :)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012341.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012346.jpg

Wire to trailer plug

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/18062012345.jpg

Wiring for 7 and 12 pin plugs use the colour coding to help with lights

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z180/bushytas/flat.png

Let me know if you need anymore help or would like me to explain a little bit more with any of this

Cheers
Brendon

jack
18th June 2012, 04:34 PM
Great, thanks for that. This will be a nice little project for a rainy day. Still can't believe they don't come with lights wired in.
Cheers
Apollofish

bushytas
18th June 2012, 07:26 PM
Great, thanks for that. This will be a nice little project for a rainy day. Still can't believe they don't come with lights wired in.
Cheers
Apollofish
Yeah same mate its something to do with the ADR, i was told dont know if its true but its because you cant see the drivers side lights on a angle because of the wheel on the back door?

jack
19th June 2012, 11:44 AM
Hi, a mate suggested I use LED's so as not to put to much drain on the electrical circuit. Anyone have any views/ideas on that?
Also where can I source the globes and globe holders etc? I've had a look on ebay but may be searching in the wrong area.
Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Apollofish

bushytas
19th June 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi, a mate suggested I use LED's so as not to put to much drain on the electrical circuit. Anyone have any views/ideas on that?
Also where can I source the globes and globe holders etc? I've had a look on ebay but may be searching in the wrong area.
Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Apollofish

I was instructed not to use led as they were not bright enough.

Yes it will put a small drain on the tail and brake lights and when towing a trailer you might blow a fuse BUT i was told by Nissan that one of the fuses either brake or tail, i cant remember now will blow when using a trailer anyway and that they replace it with a extra +5 or +10 amp fuse.

bushytas
19th June 2012, 12:02 PM
I was instructed not to use led as they were not bright enough.

Yes it will put a small drain on the tail and brake lights and when towing a trailer you might blow a fuse BUT i was told by Nissan that one of the fuses either brake or tail, i cant remember now will blow when using a trailer anyway and that they replace it with a extra +5 or +10 amp fuse.

The only fuse I’ve ever blown that has given me any problems was the reverse fuses; took the whole car out of action. It wouldn’t start, lost all gears while I was driving and come to a stop. Then I got towed to Nissan who charged me $250 to fix it, of course I told them to piss off because it was only 3 weeks old and under warranty.

the ferret
19th June 2012, 01:26 PM
Hey bushytas, that is one of the best posts I have seen for a long time, well done and thank you.
Cheers, the ferret.

bushytas
19th June 2012, 02:11 PM
Hey bushytas, that is one of the best posts I have seen for a long time, well done and thank you.
Cheers, the ferret.
HI Mate

Always willing to help as much as i can when it comes to a fellow 4wder

By the way i brought one of your twin light spare wheel brackets some time back its one of the best things ive ever brought you would of seen it in the pictures :) I tell everyone about it

Cheers

Superoo
21st June 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi, a step by step guide would be great
Cheers.

bushytas
21st June 2012, 10:45 PM
Hi, a step by step guide would be great
Cheers.
Back one page mate, if you need any help let me know

jack
8th July 2012, 09:53 PM
Hey bushytas,

Finally found time to install the tail, brake, indicator and reverse lights on the GU. All up took a couple of hours and your step by step was invaluable, looks a treat now.
Also it's the hazard light fuse that blows, replaced it with a 15A one and now working fine.

Thanks again, really appreciated.

Cheers

threedogs
8th July 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi,number one never use scotch locs they Will fail, I just wired up my dummy lights, I used led globes that have 120 smd leds per globe thats 480 leds. my model needs 4 so its like daylight when I put the trol in reverse, globes only cost about $8 for x 2 on Ebay,. I even have them in my indicators and stop/park rear lights. The effect is awesome. I did put a resistor on the blinkers to stop the fast flash. Infact every globe on my truck is led. But stay away from those scotch locs

bushytas
9th July 2012, 12:46 PM
Hey bushytas,

Finally found time to install the tail, brake, indicator and reverse lights on the GU. All up took a couple of hours and your step by step was invaluable, looks a treat now.
Also it's the hazard light fuse that blows, replaced it with a 15A one and now working fine.

Thanks again, really appreciated.

Cheers

Great to hear you will have to put up some pictures :)

Winnie
9th July 2012, 01:00 PM
Hi,number one never use scotch locs they Will fail, I just wired up my dummy lights, I used led globes that have 120 smd leds per globe thats 480 leds. my model needs 4 so its like daylight when I put the trol in reverse, globes only cost about $8 for x 2 on Ebay,. I even have them in my indicators and stop/park rear lights. The effect is awesome. I did put a resistor on the blimkers to stop the fast flash. Imfact every globe on my truck is led. But stay away from those scotch locs

Agree with 3 Dogs here, scotch locks are quick and very easy, but they almost always WILL fail. They are pretty dodgy and no good auto elec would use them. Crimping is good but solder and heatshrink is the best way to connect wires in my opinion.

threedogs
9th July 2012, 01:14 PM
When local 4x4 shop fitted my towbar I noticed the scotch locs, went of my tree and told them this is a CHEAP way to do it. Always had trouble with my trailer brakes ,brake lights, etc. I fully soldered the trailer its now one wire from plug to globe, next trip still problems.
Removed SCOTCH LOCS on trailer plug, fully soldered all wires then shrink wrapped, MAGIC, never had a problem again. Sure out in the middle of the Simmo if they get you moving but DONT USE THEM THEY WILL FAIL
IFIi see them on someones truck I laugh, some swear by them, I'm not one and Kristoffa makes 2

Its not that hard or time consuming to get out the gas soldering iron..

bushytas
9th July 2012, 01:55 PM
yes i agree they do fail after a time due to water entering the connection thats why you will see gel caps in the picture but you are right soldering is the best way

When local 4x4 shop fitted my towbar I noticed the scotch locs, went of my tree and told them this is a CHEAP way to do it. Always had trouble with my trailer brakes ,brake lights, etc. I fully soldered the trailer its now one wire from plug to globe, next trip still problems.
Removed SCOTCH LOCS on trailer plug, fully soldered all wires then shrink wrapped, MAGIC, never had a problem again. Sure out in the middle of the Simmo if they get you moving but DONT USE THEM THEY WILL FAIL
IFIi see them on someones truck I laugh, some swear by them, I'm not one and Kristoffa makes 2

Its not that hard or time consuming to get out the gas soldering iron..

hugebbq
9th July 2012, 08:00 PM
bushytas,

I must say great job on the advice you have given to the original question posed. I'm sure it's helped him as well as countless others including me. Good on ya!

To the people who constantly preach things like was posted on page 1 such as

"Hi mate, rather me try explain what to do.....if you go to the search box (in the top right hand corner) type in the words "gu tail light replacement", you should get all the info you need "

Its annoying especially when the bloke began his post with "Hi all, I've tried searching old posts but still haven't had much luck in finding out about wiring up the drivers side reverse light in my GU."

Once again, good onya bushy

NP99
28th December 2013, 12:57 AM
Hi,number one never use scotch locs they Will fail, I just wired up my dummy lights, I used led globes that have 120 smd leds per globe thats 480 leds. my model needs 4 so its like daylight when I put the trol in reverse, globes only cost about $8 for x 2 on Ebay,. I even have them in my indicators and stop/park rear lights. The effect is awesome. I did put a resistor on the blinkers to stop the fast flash. Infact every globe on my truck is led. But stay away from those scotch locs

Old thread I know.....TD, how did you apply the resister to slow the flashing rate down?

menace 2
28th December 2013, 02:00 AM
yeh I would also be interesrd in how to put a resistor on the indicators please TD...just took the TI tail lights out and put normal ones in today so there would be better lights on the back insteaf of those pissy little ones in the bar...made up my own looms for each light with waterproof rubber connectors and looped into original wiring to the lower lights....(done properly)..put a seperate earth in for each light..couldnt be happier with the more lights on the rear...if people cant see the right side lights because of the spare wheel well thats because I am passing them lololololol:D

threedogs
28th December 2013, 09:22 AM
I just stripped the insulation off a small section and soldered it in, then taped it up
again these are my led reverse lights 480 smd led in total

Edit ::: inline with the power wire to the indicator, or
you can buy LED flasher relays for about $15

mudski
28th December 2013, 11:53 PM
Old thread I know.....TD, how did you apply the resister to slow the flashing rate down?

Narva sell a resistor housed in an ally heat sink for this application. Don't know where on there website as im on MC but they do have what you need.

John.H
9th June 2014, 12:01 AM
Great pics and advice, but 21W for reverse lights?