PDA

View Full Version : advice purchasing gq coil cab ute

Rhyso
8th June 2012, 09:55 PM
hey guys im new to the site n iv decided i want to buy a gq coil cab ute
i find it hard tho looking at adds to work out what gq utes are coil sprung
i was told the dx are leaf and st are coil but the older 88/89 st's iv seen have leafs
im a bit confused
i have a buget of 10-11 grand max but it looks like coil is the way to go
any advice workin out what gq utes are coil wld b appreciated
or if anyone thinks leafs are better tell me haha
im a welder by trade n want to do alot of fab work hence the ute :)
any help at all on purchasin a patrol wld b good or if anyone has seen any good ones for sale let me know

nissannewby
11th June 2012, 10:04 PM
Hey mate the dx's came coil and leaf in the utes and the earlier DX also came in a full leaf setup. Most of the ST's should be coiled. I have a 99 dx GQ patrol ute and she is coil and discs all round. What suspension setup you go for will depend on what you wanna do with it etc leafs are better for load carrying but if you throw that out the window a well setup leaf sprung vehicle will flex incredibly well offroad. Coils are more comfortable and there are more aftermarket goodies to modify them but its all much of a muchness.

DX grunt
12th June 2012, 09:17 PM
Off track a little bit.... mine's a 2005 GU DX ute with coils on the front and leafs on the back.

nissannewby
13th June 2012, 11:03 AM
Off track a little bit.... mine's a 2005 GU DX ute with coils on the front and leafs on the back.

Yeah the GU's came like that. Im pretty sure with the GQ's it was one or the either not half and half like the GU's

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 04:13 PM
Cheers mate, I wldnt b using it for load carrying at all, so leafs not set up for load carrying will still flex well? As good as a coil?

nissannewby
13th June 2012, 06:59 PM
I own 2 coil utes mate but a well setup leaf combo will flex just as well if not better than a coily you will certainly be able to get the front working absolutely awesome compared to that of a coil. So no matter what you go for if your willing to put he time into you can get either setups working well so you won't be disadvantaged by choosing oneover the other.

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 07:06 PM
thatd make buying a patrol easier, hard to find a decent coil cab for under 10g
im def new to 4by's, iv got an old landrover with a 202 commonwhore motor and pto winch that i play in our land with its pretty muddy n steep with plenty of stuf to climb over
but i was thinkin 2inch lift susp lift, 2inch body, and 33's to start off with
wats involved in getting a leaf sprung ute to flex?

nissannewby
13th June 2012, 10:05 PM
I forgot to mention my mrs drives a leaf spring GQ ute and she goes everywhere we do. Speaking to a reputable suspension manufacturer say like dobinsons if you explain to them what you want from the spring they will be able to tailor make a set to your specs. You don't want much of curve in a leaf pack and as little leafs as practical some specific length shackles and she will go from bump stop to full droop all day. The limiting factor will then be your shock length.

Rhyso
13th June 2012, 10:28 PM
haha sounds a bit like when i got the tailor made leafs springs in one of my hiluxs flat, well almost inverted so it sat as low as possible on shortneded bumpstops n rode pretty stif it was like a gokart handled amazingly!
but that sounds like a go, thats all il need to start off with i wont be getting to serious until iv had heaps more experience

simdogs
27th June 2012, 10:38 AM
Not sure if you've been talked into a leaf ute yet but there's one with only 244000km for $6500 with probably a grand worth of toolboxes you could sell of if wanted to change over to coils

Rhyso
27th June 2012, 12:16 PM
haha cheers mate proly wld of been keen but tonite im on my way to take a second drive of a 97 coil cab desiel n if all goes well with a detailed inspection il b buying it if not il send u a pm for more details, appreciate it

hooked in on tapatalk

simdogs
27th June 2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry mate meant to post a link with that, it's not mine just one i found on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120936615849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Rhyso
27th June 2012, 06:54 PM
not a bad rig for the money, this is the one i looked at today, comes with door guard n brand new sill 173201732117322
gotta decide by tomorow :/

hooked in on tapatalk

simdogs
28th June 2012, 08:28 AM
Nice rig, looks pretty good with the black tray on it and no biggy with the damage if they're including parts to fix it.

What kms

Rhyso
28th June 2012, 10:16 AM
208,000 km's na deisel, oil was clean, air filter clean, no oil leaks everything was greased, no wobbles but unfortunately passed it up was a but worried bout buying it with no roadt wasnt sure wat i was up for

hooked in on tapatalk

simdogs
28th June 2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah you never know with no roadworthy and damage how much it's really going to end up costing

If he's got all the stuff to fix it could offer him more cash to fix it and provide roady if he has no luck selling it

Rhyso
28th June 2012, 12:08 PM
hez gunna fix it n sell it for like $15999

hooked in on tapatalk