PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wheel stud

Winnie
7th June 2012, 07:43 PM
Sorta right place, sorta not. Stupidly stripped one of my wheel studs and I've got no idea how to replace them. Really need it done tomorrow before the weekend.
Would a mechanic be able to do it on the spot? wouldn't be a problem except I'm working at Warragul tomorrow so don't know any mechanics or anything there

Tappa tappa

Winnie
8th June 2012, 02:28 PM
Wasn't able to get anybody to replace the stud for me... picked up a new stud from Nissan though. How do I go about getting the old one out, just bash with a hammer? Then what about getting the new one in, just put it in from the back and tighten a nut onto it? Would I need to remove any of the brake components? It's on the rear left wheel if that makes a difference.

AB
8th June 2012, 02:44 PM
Hey mate, have a read of this thread, should help you out hopefully....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7862

Winnie
8th June 2012, 02:52 PM
Hopefully it's as easy as that makes it sound, would be good if I don't have to remove anything.

On a side note, GQ TI alloys look awesome on the GU!!

Silver
8th June 2012, 03:18 PM
been through the factory manual available on here. Can't find the info. Went through Haynes. Same deal.

Now, I've done this to a boat trailer, but never a Patrol. That's how I'd do it, no idea about brakes etc - it may be that there is a position you can rotate the axle to so as to get max clearance. I think I'd try to line up the splines and grooves.

the ferret
8th June 2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, just take the wheel off, bash the old one out and pull the new one back through with a new or good nut.
No need to remove the brakes on a GU.
Cheers, the ferret.

Winnie
8th June 2012, 03:25 PM
Hopefully it is the same on the mightier GQ! If it really is that easy I will probably do the whole lot, thanks for the info! Wasn't too keen on taking the brakes off because I'd probably put them back on wrong or something lmao

megatexture
8th June 2012, 05:14 PM
i had to remove the callipers and the stone guard from mine to replace the studs but i was doing all as 3 had been sheared off and the rest chewed out from the rim rubbing on it .. pic below may help if its only one and you just remove the callipers and rotate the axel to that spot you should be able to do it easily enough

nissannewby
8th June 2012, 07:09 PM
If its the rear you will have to remove the caliper and does make life easier to remove your rotor as well. They only sit on the rear and the wheel holds the rotor in place. Remove wheel, remove caliper and rotor, knock old studs out (there is a cutout at a certain position which you will easily notice) put new ones in and reassemble.

Winnie
8th June 2012, 08:42 PM
Bugger, was hoping it would be easier lol but shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for that

Tappa tappa

megatexture
8th June 2012, 08:55 PM
it will take you like an hr if you stuff about haha just dont let the calipers hang from the brake line

Winnie
8th June 2012, 08:59 PM
Soooooo I'll allow 3 hours haha, you don't understand how useless I am.

Tappa tappa

Sir Roofy
8th June 2012, 09:15 PM
if it takes you 3hrs mate so be it take piccies as you go something to fall back on

my third 256
9th June 2012, 10:43 AM
watch out for the thumb it could take a beating if hit then it will take you 3 hours to fix
i hour to replace the studs 2 hours looking for the hammer that got thrown when thumb hit

the ferret
9th June 2012, 11:05 AM
watch out for the thumb it could take a beating if hit then it will take you 3 hours to fix
i hour to replace the studs 2 hours looking for the hammer that got thrown when thumb hit
Lol, best to hold the hammer with both hands, ha ha.
Cheers, the ferret.

Winnie
9th June 2012, 11:55 AM
Thus thing is stopping me from getting the rotor off. Can't work out how it comes off

Tappa tappa

the ferret
9th June 2012, 12:00 PM
That's the caliper, two bolts, one top and one at the bottom, take them out and the caliper will slide off to the side, leave the brake hose connected.
Cheers, the ferret

Winnie
9th June 2012, 12:09 PM
That was a calliper housing or something. Job is done now, just gotta put it back together

Tappa tappa

Winnie
9th June 2012, 01:02 PM
Job well done thanks to help from you guys. And this was my helper for the day

Tappa tappa

nissannewby
9th June 2012, 03:25 PM
Good to hear mate. Make sure you recheck your wheel nut torque after say 50km of driving.

Winnie
9th June 2012, 04:11 PM
That's one good habit I've already got lol

Tappa tappa

megatexture
11th June 2012, 11:42 PM
jeez he giving us the evil eye and was he black or is that all grease lol.
how long did it take in the end bet it wasnt 3 hrs

Winnie
12th June 2012, 08:59 AM
jeez he giving us the evil eye and was he black or is that all grease lol.
how long did it take in the end bet it wasnt 3 hrs

He's viscous, he'll lick ya to death!!
Yeah took around an hour. But I did something wrong and now my brakes are all messed up. Getting it looked at today

Tappa tappa

perni_a
12th June 2012, 09:39 PM
100% re torque as they stretch after first drive.

Winnie
12th June 2012, 09:51 PM
I did something wrong and now my brakes are all messed up. Getting it looked at today

Tappa tappa
So the master cylinder wore out and it was just a coincidence. I'm not as useless as I thought!

Tappa tappa