PDA

View Full Version : Flinders Ranges info required

timmyw
7th June 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi - we are heading off for our first big trip (of many) in our GU and KK Kamper mid July for 3 weeks into the Flinders Ranges (and maybe beyond). There appear to be many camp sites and Stations who have kindly opened their doors to 4WD campers.
If anyone had any first hand experience of these and could recommend places as a "must visit" it will be much appreciated.
Timbo

Blacklotusdog
7th June 2012, 01:55 PM
Hey mate have a look in the trips and treks section and also 4x4 parks section for SA, few places are mentioned in here.

I have personally been up to Arkaroola in the gammon ranges, well worth a look up this way, some good 4wding both within the gammon ranges and also north of arkaroola.

I have heard very good things about Wareena Conservation park too, Mt Gill track is supposed to be one of the tougher 4wd tracks in the flinders if you want to give the GU a good run. Lots of info available about these places on the net.

If you have the time it may be worth heading up to Maree, from there you can access mulloorina station camp site and the 4wd track out to Lake Eyre.

Probably worth checking out good old Wilpena pound too, not much 4wding but good hiking and pound itself is worth a look.

Some good info on the South Australia national parks website about 4wd tracks in the parks and campsites.

Skytrek seems pretty popular, can't remember name of station its on, but apparently it has changed recently and is pretty pricey, something like $80 per vehicle

BillsGU
7th June 2012, 06:10 PM
Farina ruins are just out of the Flinders - but are very much worth a visit. $5.00 a night last time I stayed there (toilets and donkey showers).

Mike Oxgood
11th June 2012, 09:39 PM
I'be stayed at Rawnsley Park a couple of times. Good amenities and views of Rawnsley Bluff. Some nice walks on the property too. Very close proximity to Wilpena Pound. If you venture further on Farina is a great spot to camp. Mike.

Rumcajs
11th June 2012, 10:56 PM
I recommend Merna Mora station west of Wilpena. A bit south of Flinders is a place called Bendleby Ranges thoroughly recommend that one too.
Cheers

Freak
12th June 2012, 12:53 PM
AJoz writes a blog about the 4WD trips he does. He has a write up of a trip he made to Merna Mora, worth a read if your considering that part of the Flinders.

http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/?page_id=852