PDA

View Full Version : Rear LED Light fitted

knakkers
6th June 2012, 04:43 AM
Just complete a little DYI project to my GU Patrol, fitted a rear "LED light (5x3w) 1050 lumen output" for reversing in the dark or while out camping. It is a very bright light, probably too bright. More then happy with it.
It was pretty easy to mount & wire up, once i worked out exactly how i wanted.

I mounted it off the spare wheel carrier bracket.
Used a piece of 3/4" box steel tubing, measured the height, cut the steel, drilled holes to mount to the spare wheel carrier bracket, painted it etc.
Mounted the LED light to the top the tubing, fed the wire down inside the tubing. Also put rubber plugs either end of tubing with holes drilled into them with small water tight gromits for the wire to run threw.
Drilled a small hole in the back door, with small gromit for wire to feed threw, then fed the wire threw the car to a switch in the dash. Then a wire from the switch directly to the battery with a 30amp fuse in between.

At the end of completing the little DYI, i was pretty happy with the end result on how neat & tidy it all looked.
It did take up all of Saturday morning running around to purchase all the different bits & pieces i needed from different shops. Then on Sunday it took about another 4hrs from start to finish to install

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p524/knakkers01/IMG_0205.jpg
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p524/knakkers01/IMG_0204.jpg

Sir Roofy
6th June 2012, 09:58 AM
looks good mate nice and neat

adventurepaul
10th June 2012, 01:01 AM
Just about to do this with almost same light but round. Just wondering what everyone else has done with the wire thru the rear door... Nice install by the way

mudski
10th June 2012, 03:12 PM
Where did you get the lamp from?

knakkers
13th June 2012, 05:27 AM
Where did you get the lamp from?
http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/
You can also purchase off ebay from this company, but i purchased cheaper by going direct to the shop & got very helpful info

knakkers
13th June 2012, 05:34 AM
Just about to do this with almost same light but round. Just wondering what everyone else has done with the wire thru the rear door... Nice install by the way
I just drilled very small hole with tight gromit in the door. Or the option is, find someone with a lathe & drill a small hole in the centre of, one of the bolts that mount your spare wheel carrier onto the back door

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2012, 06:33 AM
Good job, need this to reverse the boat

moose maverick
13th June 2012, 11:08 PM
Nice neat install do you have it plumbed into the reverse lights or just a switch on the dash? Give those pesky tailgaters a nasty suprise!

big_fletch
14th June 2012, 03:04 PM
Nice job mate, looks tops.. Will make reversing alot easier at night Haha

knakkers
14th June 2012, 04:12 PM
Separate switch in dashboard wired directly to battery. So I can switch on when ever I like. Yeah it's good for anybody that tailgates or hi-beams me from behind. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adventurepaul
14th June 2012, 11:07 PM
Nice neat install do you have it plumbed into the reverse lights or just a switch on the dash? Give those pesky tailgaters a nasty suprise!

I wired mine to come on via either front or rear switch or reverse lights if front lights are on.

nickverms
10th July 2012, 01:46 PM
Im looking at doing this exact same thing. Found the brackets on ebay for over $100 but will make my own!

threedogs
10th July 2012, 01:56 PM
Nice job, ditto with nakkers drill small hole and put a rubber grommet to suit. A lot of lumens for 15 watts

stock patrol
11th July 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi all, In regard to the live switch in the dash, this can/will come round to bite you if a copper comes up behind you and you light him up. I think it's against the law or not exactly legal to have the swithch mounted close to driver. A tricky three way switch connected through the reverse light circuit will save a fine.

Separate switch in dashboard wired directly to battery. So I can switch on when ever I like. Yeah it's good for anybody that tailgates or hi-beams me from behind. Lol

Cbates
11th July 2012, 06:21 PM
Great fit mate, Britelight are great and really helpful! got a work light from there myself!
did you just weld the bracket to the side of the spare wheel holder?

gregs
11th July 2012, 06:46 PM
"LED light (5x3w) 1050 lumen output"

knakkers, mate you can never have enough light, great work

knakkers
14th July 2012, 09:15 AM
Cbates, on the GU Patrols, you have to get a extension bracket fitted between the door skin & the spare wheel bracket to fit 33's on, so that extension bracket has holes pre drilled in it. So bolted the pole onto the extension bracket

roon
23rd July 2012, 03:35 AM
very nice leed light