PDA

View Full Version : Converting an SD33 to SD33T (Adding a Turbo to Non Turbo Engine)

Chops
6th October 2010, 03:07 AM
There has been a lot of talk around, about adding a Turbo to a Naturally Aspirated engine. I was once interested in performing this transformation, however since reading a few comments around the internet, I have mixed thoughts on the matter, and I don't believe it is worthwhile.

There are many different comments from people why its not a good idea, some of which relate to different head design, to different pistons and rings.

Just yesterday I found some information, stating not to use an SD33 head gasket on an SD33T engine, as it will (can) block water galleries and oil holes.

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 12:05 AM
You are correct with the engine and head components, there are also some differences in the deisel pump delivery valves as well as the injectors are different too. I can scan my factory SD33T nissan workshop manual for AB and he can make it available here. Just give me a few days.

Chops
8th October 2010, 06:04 PM
No need to scan it, there is already a manual in the manuals section relating the SD33T engine.

Some people have fitted a Turbo to a Non Turbo engine successfully, however I am not so sure its a good thing to do. There`s no doubt it can be done, its just not something I would consider to be reliable, especially if you do a lot of off road driving in remote situations.

Finly Owner
8th October 2010, 10:48 PM
OK I asked the question the other day, when I tried looking at the index of that manual I couldn't see the actual SD33T listed? Did I miss it?

Chops
9th October 2010, 03:54 AM
OK I asked the question the other day, when I tried looking at the index of that manual I couldn't see the actual SD33T listed? Did I miss it?

Not sure what your after Finly. This post here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1136-SD-Series-Diesel-Engine-Manual&p=12228&viewfull=1#post12228) has the SD33T Supplement with all the information regarding stripping and rebuilding the SD33T engine.

This post here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1136-SD-Series-Diesel-Engine-Manual&p=12224&viewfull=1#post12224) with the 3 manuals, relates to the SD33 engine (Non Turbo). Chances are it wasn't the manual called "SD33T Supplement" that you saw, so it wont have any information relating to the Turbo engine.

Finly Owner
9th October 2010, 10:50 PM
ok that explains it. The top one I haven't opened yet as I was worried about the "rapid share" thing.

And the bottom one was as you said and I thought.

Thanks for straightening that out for me.

Chops
9th October 2010, 11:06 PM
Sweet, glad that is sorted, I was beginning to think one of us was going batty. The RapidShare and MediaFire manuals I have uploaded, were all scanned before being uploaded, and should be virus free.

Chops
26th October 2010, 12:14 AM
There is also another difference with SD33T engine over the SD33. The SD33T engine has oil squirter`s that shoot oil under the pistons around the skirts for lubrication.

Alburypete
5th March 2012, 09:37 PM
Interesting read.

Raty
30th June 2012, 06:41 PM
I fitted a T3 Turbo (11 lbs boost) + intercooler to SD33 n/a 21 yrs ago (280Ks) in my G60 ute no probs, now running last 30Ks SD33T with twin turbo's intercooler + LPG, over 450 NMs, runs like a clock..........

taslucas
30th June 2012, 08:14 PM
I fitted a T3 Turbo (11 lbs boost) + intercooler to SD33 n/a 21 yrs ago (280Ks) in my G60 ute no probs, now running last 30Ks SD33T with twin turbo's intercooler + LPG, over 450 NMs, runs like a clock..........

Hi Raty, sounds like you have some valuable info on the concept. Would be much appreciated if you could share a bit more info on the matter. But first, can you jump over to the Introductions thread and introduce yourself and say hi and tell us a bit about yourself. Its just something we get all members to do:) Welcome to the forum anyway mate:)

droppa
17th July 2012, 11:17 AM
raty this information you have will be on great value to some of us here, pics or even a build log, c'mon man, dont hog that info now......