PDA

View Full Version : MudRunnerTD doing the Madigan Line 2012

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2012, 11:29 PM
Well folks the final planning and servicing is being done over the next few weeks before I head out in my GUIV with my 6yo boy on a father son OZTent adventure across the Northern Crossing of the Simpson via Cecil Madigans expedition line.

Considered the most difficult crossing, the Madigan line is documented as GPS points on the map identifying the camp locations.

This will be a WOW trip for me and my little fella and I can't wait.

I have been doing a fair bit of work getting ready to go and got a bit more to do. Lots of planning and all is set. I leave on Friday 29th June and hope to return home to Geelong by Saturday 14th July 2012.

I will take heaps of pics and post them up. I will be traveling with 4 other well setup cars and it will be a trip of a life time.

Watch this space, 3 weeks to go.

Silver
4th June 2012, 11:51 PM
What a trip that will be. Great for the kids!

I read CT Madigan's book about that trip - an easy read and quite interesting.

What I think is ama2ing is that both he and Mawson were competent exploring the Antarctic and the Desert. I know some of the challenges are the same, but there are some big contrasts as well.

Wishing you fun and plain sailing!!

Rick

megatexture
5th June 2012, 12:51 AM
hope to be seeing a ship load of pics when you get back and hope the trip is a trouble free for all involved. i for one cant wait to do the simo one day!

taslucas
5th June 2012, 12:51 PM
Sounds awesome. Yep cant wait for the pics. Your boy will remember it his whole life:)

Tap, crackle, pop

timbar
5th June 2012, 04:27 PM
Sounds awesome. Yep cant wait for the pics. Your boy will remember it his whole life:)

Tap, crackle, pop

absoluetly Tas couldnt have said it better myself !!

I will be watching this space forsure I know there is plenty of time before u leave but u have a safe trip mate and I hope u dont have any unwanted snags along the way ..keep us informed Im sure It will be an Excellent Adventure ..........ENJOY GUYS

NissanGQ4.2
5th June 2012, 09:16 PM
In 3 weeks I'll be wishing I was doing the trip with ya. Lookin forward 2 the pics.

Have fun n stay safe

Yendor
5th June 2012, 10:35 PM
Sounds like it is going to be a top trip.

dads tractor
7th June 2012, 02:12 PM
Ruby Gap is still listed as closed you might want to check that and be careful in the Hale Ck if your going that way as any dark spots in the sand can be like quicksand .Had a days adventure retrieving a shorty 40 out there once lucky the beer stocks had enough reserve but the isolation is perfect.

Just an idea print a couple of star charts for when your out there and see how many the young fella can find and a game we played as kids would be to mark where the sun would come up in the morning the closest would get a couple of lollies before lunch the rest had to wait makes you more aware of what's around you is the lesson. Enjoy your trip

Maxhead
7th June 2012, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a pearler of a trip mate,young bloke will love it no doubt.

Maxhead
8th June 2012, 09:35 PM
Hey Daz, I have been thinking and doing a bit of reading on the track you are about to do.
I'm trying to figure out the exact track you'll be doing, so my question is....any chance of showing us exactly where you'll be travelling...really curious.

From what I understand it is a bloody tough track so any insight would be very handy mate.

...and yes, I'm jealous....hahhahah

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2012, 09:53 PM
Ruby Gap is still listed as closed you might want to check that and be careful in the Hale Ck if your going that way as any dark spots in the sand can be like quicksand .Had a days adventure retrieving a shorty 40 out there once lucky the beer stocks had enough reserve but the isolation is perfect.

Just an idea print a couple of star charts for when your out there and see how many the young fella can find and a game we played as kids would be to mark where the sun would come up in the morning the closest would get a couple of lollies before lunch the rest had to wait makes you more aware of what's around you is the lesson. Enjoy your trip

Cheers mate that is a great idea. have you got a link to a Star Chart i can print off?

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2012, 10:12 PM
Hey Daz, I have been thinking and doing a bit of reading on the track you are about to do.
I'm trying to figure out the exact track you'll be doing, so my question is....any chance of showing us exactly where you'll be travelling...really curious.

From what I understand it is a bloody tough track so any insight would be very handy mate.

...and yes, I'm jealous....hahhahah

Cheers Chris.

Searching the Web i found this

http://www.robsexpedition.com/uploads/1/9/9/1/1991154/3572510.png?952

Not the best but you get the idea, 4 hours North from Mt Dare to Old Andando Station for the launch then Fully Remote across the desert. 1100 Dunes half a km apart with Spinafex valleys between. Finish line is Running South down to Birdsville via the QA line i think.

Here is a couple of links i just found for you to have a bit of a read.

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/tracks.html?site=1319_Madigan-Line

http://www.orvc.asn.au/Madigan%20Line.htm

http://www.overlander.com.au/destinations/index/full/66/Madigan-Line

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/21559/Madigan_Line.aspx

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ie4PUj1tug&feature=player_embedded

Maxhead
8th June 2012, 10:48 PM
WOW WOW WOW, looks like a challenging trip and that's the way they should be.
Hope you and your son have a ball which I know you will.....

lots of fun mate!!!!!

ps. thanks for the info

Maxhead
8th June 2012, 11:14 PM
maybe not us but definetly worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTES-wbZUIc

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2012, 11:29 PM
^^^^^^^ awesome ^^^^^^^

Maxhead
8th June 2012, 11:34 PM
Mate!!!!! we want pics.... thats all!

Maxhead
8th June 2012, 11:40 PM
Bit of history for all:

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/madigan-cecil-thomas-7455

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2012, 04:39 PM
Well i spent the long weekend working on the GU getting ready for this trip.

I mounted up the ARB compressor in the side well of the rear drawers and wired up a Sub Fuse board into the same place.

I fitted led strip lighting to both rear doors and switched independently to each side. Nice!. While i was there i ran a wire and relay through the back door to fit up a reverse / camp light to the outside of the back door.

I removed the rear seat behind the drivers seat and made a box to take 3 jerry cans enclosed and things looking good.

I still have to fit the winch, fit the shovel holder, finish off the storage inside.......oh ..... and pack!

2 weekends to go then we are off!

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2012, 05:45 PM
Cheers Plas, appreciate the offer mate, I am borrowing a 12k winch off of Danny ( he has them lying around ;) ) (kinda) so i will get him to hold it while i bolt her up, i expect it to be pretty basic. Feel free to drop in any time though fella, I make Gooooooood Coffee!

I rebuilt the front end last weekend too, did the wheel bearings ( feels different now), New brake pads to all 4 corners, swapped all 5 wheels back from 35s to 33s (had to steal the 3 brand newys off the Camper trailer and the brand new spare i had on the back door. Nice, 4 new Khumo KL71s for the trip and a 70% on the back door and the same off a rim on the roof.

I did an Oil and Filter change, swapped out a dead Battery and kept pretty busy.

djc123
13th June 2012, 06:30 PM
Cheers Plas, appreciate the offer mate, I am borrowing a 12k winch off of Danny ( he has them lying around ;) ) (kinda) so i will get him to hold it while i bolt her up, i expect it to be pretty basic. Feel free to drop in any time though fella, I make Gooooooood Coffee!

Now like I said Darren - don't get too attached to the winch while you have it ... you know ... that reliability, strength and general all round toughness of a low mount. Already solidly braced, already a 6hp motor, a brake that stops as soon as you let go of the switch ... hey, you might even put one on the GQ!

Astro
14th June 2012, 09:55 AM
Good luck on your epic trip MudRunner.

While we were in the Simpson recently we heard of a group who were doing the Madigan Line, and even the locals were talking about it with an 'air' or awe!

MudRunnerTD
28th June 2012, 10:52 PM
Well the time has flown by..... One more sleep!

Massive day tomorrow doing the final pack. I head off around 4pm when school is out.

I am driving with one other vehicle up to the start of the track at Old Andando Station where I will meet the other 3 cars.

Leaving Friday night heading North West. Hope to be in Mt Dare by lunch time Monday for a shower then off to old Andando for dinner Monday night.

Ready or not here we go!!!

patch697
28th June 2012, 10:55 PM
I wish you & your boy a safe journey old mate.

MudRunnerTD
28th June 2012, 11:01 PM
I wish you & your boy a safe journey old mate.

And sometime an Old Friend drops by ;) great to see you around fella.

Thanks for the Well Wish. We are going to have a memory for life I reckon, young Zach will have a great time.

patch697
28th June 2012, 11:18 PM
And sometime an Old Friend drops by ;) great to see you around fella.

Thanks for the Well Wish. We are going to have a memory for life I reckon, young Zach will have a great time.

If you decide to swing by a little one horse called Dimboola on your way back travels. you'll always be welcome at my fire.

Maxhead
29th June 2012, 06:24 AM
Safe travels mate......

macca
29th June 2012, 07:15 AM
Have a good trip there mate, you and your boy are so lucky to be able to do this in our great country.
Just so happy for you, it is going to be a fantastic trip with the best memories.
All the very best,
Macca

MudRunnerTD
30th June 2012, 06:29 PM
Just got final supplies in Renmark SA. Here we go

Sir Roofy
30th June 2012, 06:58 PM

take care out there mate
have a good trip

growler2058
30th June 2012, 07:16 PM

WOO HOO have a bloody good trip mate.........don't forget the bloody camera ;-)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?om5ecb
Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, what's that freakin noise?!

NissanGQ4.2
30th June 2012, 07:17 PM
Have a safe trip mate, have fun and post some pics up along the way if you can just 2 tease us a little

MudRunnerTD
1st July 2012, 07:23 AM
Well leaving Renmark last night the sky opened up and dumped a big storm. We drive about 80kms north west and it stopped so camping in a wayside stop. The storm cleared up and the only rain we got was while setting up camp! Go figure!

Snuggled in the sleeping bag and the trucks have started driving past about 5:30 am so I should get up. Damn it's cold outside this sleeping bag though!!

Got to do 800 kms today to reach friends that are broken down in a hilux with a smashed shock on the Oddnadatta waiting for us to bring parts, catch yas

NissanGQ4.2
1st July 2012, 07:29 AM
You have 2 take pics of a nissan dropping of yota parts

Have a safe one Darren, hope the weather stays clear for ya

megatexture
1st July 2012, 10:59 AM
Got to do 800 kms today to reach friends that are broken down in a hilux with a smashed shock on the Oddnadatta waiting for us to bring parts, catch yas

did no one tell them thats what happens when you take a softroader offroad oh btw:useless:

mate hope the hilux hads a few snatch straps as you dont want to break one of yours pulling them out all day best of luck hope there arnt any more issues for any of you touch wood .

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2012, 01:30 AM
I just had a steak at the Birdsville Pub!

EPIC!!

Yes I have a story to tell but time for rest now. On the iPhone. When I get near a computer I will upload a few videos and pics!

OMG the 50kms of the French line I did coming into Birdsville was like a freeway by comparison!

The Madigan Line! Stuff of legends that is! Insane!

Watch this space

growler2058
11th July 2012, 05:09 AM
Cant wait Dazz

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Sir Roofy
11th July 2012, 08:59 AM
o boy waiting in hope of a great story and pics

rusty_nail
11th July 2012, 09:04 AM
looking forward to seeing the pics mate, thanks for sharing!@!!

macca
11th July 2012, 09:13 AM
o boy waiting in hope of a great story and pics

x2 be great to see

djc123
11th July 2012, 10:37 AM
OMG the 50kms of the French line I did coming into Birdsville was like a freeway by comparison!

Is that the freeway that shredded your tyre?

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2012, 01:52 PM
Is that the freeway that shredded your tyre?

Yep damn it! I staked a Khumo on the third day on the inside wall. I Put 2 plugs in her and drove for 3 more days until it started leaking. Re plugged it and got another day. Was adding air for 2 days.

Got to Big Red and dropped the pressure from 25 in the back to 14psi. Took it's toll I think. Reinflated to 25 for the trip into Birdsville and got into high range for the first time in a week. (have not seen above 15km/h all week) and hit 40 on the corrigations and the plugs split and tore the inside and blew to tyre. 100m on the corrigations did the rest. 1 destroyed Khumo.

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2012, 02:00 PM
Playing with Tapatalk for the first time... See if this works

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2012, 02:03 PM

Tick Tock Tappa tap tap

djc123
11th July 2012, 02:15 PM
Shoulda just stuffed it full of leaves and sticks and kept driving ... would have got you home to Geelong no worries ...

AB
11th July 2012, 02:19 PM
Munched the tyre Dazz, stay safe mate!!!

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2012, 01:11 AM
I left Birdsville at 8am yesterday. We did 800 kms yesterday and camped at Hawker. We did 1100kms today and I rolled into the driveway at home at 12:15am.

Home!

Shower and bed for this monkey

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2012, 04:39 PM
God I feel like I have Jet Lag today. Unpacking sux

NissanGQ4.2
14th July 2012, 04:47 PM
Forget the unpacking Darren, that can what for another day, I'm sure you have plenty of stories and pics 2 start uploading.................

so get crackin!!!

P.s: Good 2 hear you back safe n sound

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 03:00 PM
Cheers Plas, I got thrown straight back into work and have been at a Big Geotech Conference this week. only getting to my emails and voice messages today (150 emails in the inbox) Damn!!

Got some great pics and shot a heap of great Video with your windscreen cam mate. i have to try and collate it into a video package and then embed it here. I will have to spend a little time figuring out how to embed single AVI files here for a taste though??? do i need to send them to photobucket first?

Got a Joke...................

What does it take to get a Toyota Hilux across the Madigan Line????

Winnie
19th July 2012, 03:09 PM

A patrol to tow it across?

Tappa tappa

macca
19th July 2012, 03:29 PM

Ah aside from the Nissan, a shovel, snatch straps, max tracks, spare parts, patience.... am I close?

djc123
19th July 2012, 04:54 PM
A patrol to tow it across?

THREE Nissan's apparently

macca
19th July 2012, 05:08 PM
Whats this conference, havn't you got PTD and need a few days off?

PTD = post trip depression, bugger of a thing to get.

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2012, 05:10 PM

Takes nothing, a Toyota is not worth saving, you should of just flicked a match and drove away *LMAO*

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 05:19 PM

3 Nissan Patrols and a Welder.

:smileyvault-cute-bi

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 05:20 PM
I told that joke to the Mechanic at Birdsville who was swapping my blown tyre and his response to the Question............ A Hilux has No Business out there!

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 05:24 PM
Takes nothing, a Toyota is not worth saving, you should of just flicked a match and drove away *LMAO*

Mate! Without the Nissan Patrols there is No Joke there! That would have been a viable solution. Abandon the vehicle if your prepared and walk out if you can. Its Killer Country out there and not much is coming to get you.

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2012, 06:43 PM
Mate! Without the Nissan Patrols there is No Joke there! That would have been a viable solution. Abandon the vehicle if your prepared and walk out if you can. Its Killer Country out there and not much is coming to get you.

Well I don't need to worry about walking as I drive a Nissan not a Toyota *LMAO*

threedogs
19th July 2012, 07:02 PM
Stay safe,enjoy, 4x4 Australia mag just did article on your very trip, couldn't find 1 camp but
amazing trip. look forward to the pics

Maxhead
19th July 2012, 07:03 PM
Yep, can't wait for the pics and vids mate...c'mon get your arse into gear :) hahah

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 09:08 PM
Stay safe,enjoy, 4x4 Australia mag just did article on your very trip, couldn't find 1 camp but
amazing trip. look forward to the pics

Wow I will have to and buy the mag and have a look. I can claim success finding Every Camp other than camp 3 and 4 where ther is no Public Access.

We found Camp 1 and there had not been anyone there for many many years with no foot prints or any wheel tracks to speak of. Awesome.

Given each camp now only consists of a gold painted Star Picket with a small plaque smaller than the palm of my hand! To find a couple of them by driving through unmarked bush to a dot on the gps. Zoomed in to 1000% and the dot on the GPS is a square Km! Finding the star picket at camp 1 was a big deal!

taslucas
19th July 2012, 09:13 PM
Did you lock in the co-ordinates? You could probably sell them lol!

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 09:58 PM
I have jumped onto Tappa Tap so I can post a couple of pics from my phone. I used the phone for the first few days then pulled the big cam out . I should have gone the good cam earlier but oh well, I had a bit going on ;)

Here are a couple of pics of the car loaded and showing the roof load.

On the roof went an RV4 oz tent, 3 Jerry cans of diesel, 2 max trax, roof bag with a bare spare tyre and tyre changing gear and a heap of "just in case" spares ( belts and hoses) for the mighty TD42 and a work bench I used to safely load the roof each day and it came in super handy as part of the kitchen when cooking each night.

The 25lt drum you can see at the back was the washing machine . Fill it with 5 or 6lt of water, some front loader powder and your washing and go driving! Ring out the washing when you get to your destination. Worked a treat.

So the call came early from our fellow traveller in the Hilux (Kevin) that he had a broken a front strut on his Hilux on the Oodnadatta TK damn it so time to find some parts for him.

We pulled into the wrecker in Mildura and were happy to hear that he had a front rack off a hilux in his lot and could help with what we needed.

Loaded with the parts we needed we hit the road again, we headed North West and got through Renmark to find the sky open up and the rain came down.

We pulled into a wayside stop and pitched the first night camp as quick as we could. All good though as the rain left us and the sky cleared to let the warmth of the day float away.

Cold! It got real cold!

We went to bed with a wet car and woke to a car covered in frozen rain drops and thick ice on the tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2012, 10:04 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the car loaded and showing the roof load.

Darren, you are aware you can get solar panels these days that should take care of your power needs while out in the bush......................no need to carry that big power pole around with you *LMAO*

MudRunnerTD
19th July 2012, 11:49 PM
Darren, you are aware you can get solar panels these days that should take care of your power needs while out in the bush......................no need to carry that big power pole around with you *LMAO*

Damn ! It did feel a little top heavy and all! Wish i'd known that damn it!

Nah she travelled soo well and true. Solid as a rock!

MudRunnerTD
20th July 2012, 12:02 AM
So i ripped out the drivers side back seat and replaced it with a box made from 10mm ply that finished at the same height as the Black Widow Drawers and gave me a flat floor down the drivers side which was a real winner.

It turned out that in the box would fit standing on their side 3 x 20lt jerry cans that i filled with water. I screwed down the lid and went there only when i needed to refill the water.

I had another 10lt jerry with a tap that i used for day to day water and had that in the back beside the fridge. So 70lt of tap water in all. I then bought another 3 x 10lt casks of water for drinking as i drink bottled water at home and my boy only drinks water also so 30lts would be a winner. Total of 100lts on board.

I hunted for a long range tank for the GU in the weeks leading up to the trip and I scored one off ebay for a song out of a GQ that bolted straight up and enjoyed 147lt in the back and 30 in the Sub tank and ran with another 3x 20lt jerries on the roof for a total of 237lt of diesel on board.

I used the tubs out of my camper trailer and put clothes in 1, food in another and pantry / cooking utensils in the third. I scored factory tie downs out of a Benz Van off ebay and fitted them strategically to allow for a tie down over each of the tubs with close fitting lids to hold the load well when the going got tough. Very pleased i went to this effort as it got hammered.

I moved the drop down fridge slide with the 45lt Engel to the passenger side on top of the drawers allowing for enough space for the 10lt of water to go down the side. I packed most of the food into the left side black widow drawer and the right side carried all my Tools and recovery gear. I have a fold down table on the big rear door so the fridge and the food drawer could be accessed while the table was down making a meal ;)

All in All it worked a treat.

MudRunnerTD
20th July 2012, 12:05 AM
give me a day or so and i will upload all my pics to Photo Bucket and see if i can get some of these AVIs to Photobucket too and will post up some great pics for you all.

Cheers guys

macca
20th July 2012, 07:16 AM
Good read to wake up to, sounds like you were well sorted and it payed of.

taslucas
20th July 2012, 07:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing more pics MR. The washing machine is a great idea! i would never had thought of that

macca
23rd July 2012, 02:51 PM

What we did in our Lux during the Simpson Trip

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2012, 10:05 PM
What we did in our Lux during the Simpson Trip

That is exactly what happened to the Hilux half way across. We came across 2 hiluxes at Mt Dare that had done a mercy dash to Alice Springs to buy 2 struts that had done exactly that too

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2012, 10:09 PM
Heyyy daaazzzzzz? You're keeping me in suspenders mate!!

Btw you home this weekend? I'll drop over if you are.

Are sorry Plas yeah been pretty crazy mate. Finally got all the pics off my wife's camera and in the process of getting em on my Mac to go through and post up here.

Check out my build thread though bud for my weekend just gone. Got home from the Madigan and straight into the GQ for an Extreme Snow swag trip!!!

I took your windscreen cam for that too and got some insane footage

MudRunnerTD
31st July 2012, 12:35 AM
OK Plas let see if this works for a taster......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Z8qXhl5mI&feature=plcp

growler2058
31st July 2012, 12:38 AM
Cheers Daz, dont stop there keep em comin ;-)

MudRunnerTD
31st July 2012, 02:41 AM
Here is the next one. This was actually shot before the other vid on the same day.

I have made an error with the label too, by the time i started shooting we were at about camp 2 so had already found camp 1 with NO FOOTPRINTS at all suggesting that not very many people find camp 1. We found camp 1A and were heading for camp 2 i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH95SLkK2ug&feature=plcp

Its a shame i did not get the video working sooner as the area between camp 1 and 1A was extraordinary and some of the heaviest bush i saw for the trip. No Tracks and was bliss.

Enjoy guys

growler2058
31st July 2012, 03:25 AM
Good onya Daz cheers

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

macca
31st July 2012, 09:27 AM
Great to see the view out the windscreen, really enjoy the isolation of a trip like that.

Your young fella sounds like he was great company, good to hear him in the soundtrack of your vids.

Hope he enjoyed the trip.

Thanks for them
Macca

Maxhead
31st July 2012, 09:34 AM
Wow, pretty cool stuff. Slow trip by the looks of it....haha

..........on the move

MudRunnerTD
31st July 2012, 03:23 PM
Cheers guys, yeah Zach had a great time.

I had the cam set up to the right side of the rear view mirror at about eye height so what you see in the videos is about the same angle that I was looking. Over the sand dunes was pretty blind and we basically just dropped over the top. Made corrections when we could see. Lol

AB
8th August 2012, 07:36 PM
Just read through this properly. What a ripper trip mate.

Can't wait to do these trips with my kids when they get older....