PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Feedback - Federal Couragia MT

ozzymalone
4th June 2012, 10:28 AM
Anyone running these bad boys?

AB
4th June 2012, 10:32 AM
Good timing!

Not my first choice in tyres but I scored a brand new set of 5 of these at a price I couldn't say no to, so I'm going to give them a whirl and see...

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about them (both bad and good) and I am putting these on tomorrow with new rims and taking them out for a test run...I'll let you know!

nissannewby
4th June 2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah i have heard they are good in mud but are noisy on road but work well for what they are designed for mud :)

Winnie
4th June 2012, 10:49 AM
My brother-in-law swears by them.

AB
4th June 2012, 10:56 AM
The pattern looks good. Plenty of space in between lugs too...

ozzymalone
4th June 2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah they price is certainly nice but talk about mixed reviews...Let us know how you roll AB. Im either going Maxxis Bighorns again or these bad boys methinks....Input welcomed.

big_fletch
4th June 2012, 01:51 PM
I will be getting a set of these fitted very soon in 35's, I have a mate running them on a GU ute in 35" and he loves them

taslucas
4th June 2012, 03:20 PM
My brother has a set on his troopy in 35s.....absolutely cr@p I'm sorry to say. Last time he was up home we were playing on slippery red clay and they just wouldn't pull him up the hill. I was idling past him in the trol with my 33" Cooper stt's. I can post a video too! Lol. They might work better with a bit less air pressure and they might come into their own in the sloppier mud but that day they were crap! Hopefully the couragias work better on a troll.
BUT..... Another bloke had them on his 40 series wagon and swears by them! Definitely way mixed reviews!

Tap, crackle, pop

Timbo
4th June 2012, 04:33 PM
My brother has a set on his troopy in 35s.....absolutely cr@p I'm sorry to say. Last time he was up home we were playing on slippery red clay and they just wouldn't pull him up the hill. I was idling past him in the trol with my 33" Cooper stt's. I can post a video too! Lol. They might work better with a bit less air pressure and they might come into their own in the sloppier mud but that day they were crap! Hopefully the couragias work better on a troll.
BUT..... Another bloke had them on his 40 series wagon and swears by them! Definitely way mixed reviews!

Tap, crackle, pop

To be fair, I think you're missing the point here.

Toyota vs. Nissan.

Not a fair comparison putting the Couragia's on a Toymota.

:)

mitchgq
4th June 2012, 04:44 PM
just got them in 35/12.5/15 check my build thread for pics..... i cant fault them what so ever. i have run bighorns, BFG km2s now the couragias and they are quiet on the road for a mud tyre, good road manners in the wet on bitumen and unreal grip!!!, as for above stories of being no good to many factors, to just make the rulling there crap (tyre pressures/vehicle weight/Open diff VS LSD etc), for $325 a tyre fitted im happy as. ( i live in a mining town so everything is frikin dear as)

Woof
4th June 2012, 07:14 PM
I need some new tyres and will be checking these out for sure.

taslucas
4th June 2012, 07:50 PM
To be fair, I think you're missing the point here.

Toyota vs. Nissan.

Not a fair comparison putting the Couragia's on a Toymota.

:)

Hahaha yeah. But I didn't miss that point when I was pointing it out to my bro hahaha!

But yeah, questions on tyres always bring out massively different opinions and stories.

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
6th June 2012, 08:32 AM
Just took it home lastnight with these tyres and on road I am very happy. Compared to the old Mongrels they are quiet and great in the wet!

Taking it out in the mud this weekend so will let you know how they perform off road!

ozzymalone
6th June 2012, 09:59 AM
just got them in 35/12.5/15 check my build thread for pics..... i cant fault them what so ever. i have run bighorns, BFG km2s now the couragias and they are quiet on the road for a mud tyre, good road manners in the wet on bitumen and unreal grip!!!, as for above stories of being no good to many factors, to just make the rulling there crap (tyre pressures/vehicle weight/Open diff VS LSD etc), for $325 a tyre fitted im happy as. ( i live in a mining town so everything is frikin dear as)

I would love to see what sort of comparison you can give us between the two cheaper tyres seeing as you have run both Mitch. (Bighorns vs Couragia MT)...what where your thoughts here? Cheers mate.

Woof
12th June 2012, 12:53 AM
Just took it home lastnight with these tyres and on road I am very happy. Compared to the old Mongrels they are quiet and great in the wet!

Taking it out in the mud this weekend so will let you know how they perform off road!

Well we are waiting for your Tyre Review AB...lol

AB
12th June 2012, 06:43 AM
Well we are waiting for your Tyre Review AB...lol

So far so good but those tracks on the weekend were quite tamed so I'll have to take them out locally in the mud for a better test.

However, did a lot of rocky and clay climbs and they gripped very well. The spacing in between lugs allowed the mud to come out easily as well.

On road I am happy with the performance for long trips too...I'll take them out soon around my area and get back to you.

Woof
13th June 2012, 01:55 AM
So far so good but those tracks on the weekend were quite tamed so I'll have to take them out locally in the mud for a better test.

However, did a lot of rocky and clay climbs and they gripped very well. The spacing in between lugs allowed the mud to come out easily as well.

On road I am happy with the performance for long trips too...I'll take them out soon around my area and get back to you.

Too late mate, ordered some today, at the price and the reviews I have read they could be a good thing.........we have to try these things for ourselves anyway as everyone has their own opinions on everything these days..

Woof
23rd June 2012, 10:51 PM
Got the first 2 put on the rear of The Q today.
1. Bit noisy, but I don't care.
2. A lot softer ride on the rear now which is great.

The front 2 will go on next weekend and then I will give them a bit of a flogging and see what happens.

AB
24th June 2012, 08:31 AM
Got the first 2 put on the rear of The Q today.
1. Bit noisy, but I don't care.
2. A lot softer ride on the rear now which is great.

The front 2 will go on next weekend and then I will give them a bit of a flogging and see what happens.

I find mine were very quiet but I guess I am comparing them to a set of Mongrels which sounded like a helicopter flying next to you...LMAO

Paul C
24th June 2012, 07:34 PM
Had a set a few years back and have to say they were pretty good when new especially when down around 12-15 pounds. Never lost a bead. However they are not that tough and after a couple of years all the sidewalls failed one after each other (Plus I had one split across the tread on the motorway. Had about 2 seconds warning then Bang). Thoroughly enjoyed them but would not but them again. Currently running Maxis Buckshot mudders in 33" and Simex Extreme Trekers in 35". Spend a bit more money and get some tires that will last the distance.

BIG PIG
6th July 2012, 07:28 AM
hey guys i am looking at getting a set of these in the next few weeks
Just wondering how they will hold up the tracks we hit are pretty steep, with a lot of clay but also want them for a bit of mud bashing through some pretty sloppy stuff
or am i better off just going the Trepadors i was looking at

Winnie
6th July 2012, 08:02 AM
Price is one thing you have to take into account. Of course the treps are going to perform better in the mud than the Federals, but for the price the Federals are a fantastic tyre.

BIG PIG
6th July 2012, 08:22 AM
that is true might just wait and get the trepadors

Simmoevo
6th July 2012, 08:25 AM
Ive just put a set on. For 1200 including wheels im happy. Instantly made the truck look mean but am yet to get off road to truly comment on them

BIG PIG
6th July 2012, 08:26 AM
is that in 33's or 35's mate

BIG PIG
1st August 2012, 07:31 PM
will hopefully have a set of these on by the weekend will defiantly post up wat i think of them but the price was good $1400 for 35" and new 15" x 8" steel wheels will stop me getting caught on the diffs like the other nite

Woof
1st August 2012, 08:41 PM
Tried my new set of 35"s out the weekend before last and am very happy with them.

BIG PIG
2nd August 2012, 08:02 AM
awesome as im hoping they hold up in the clay i get into

scotty83
2nd August 2012, 08:03 AM
Haven't had any dramas with my set. Only a few months old though.

BIG PIG
4th August 2012, 06:59 PM
so got my feds on yesterday and had a quick play today WOW they r great they just bite in and go

Gu joe
18th December 2013, 09:22 PM
been running these for 12 months now , no problems ,balanced well , great off road , and good on the highway , for the price they leave the so called big names for dead.
would and have been recommending them to one and all.

AB
18th December 2013, 09:33 PM
been running these for 12 months now , no problems ,balanced well , great off road , and good on the highway , for the price they leave the so called big names for dead.
would and have been recommending them to one and all.

How many Kms have you put on and how much wear on them?

I bought a new set about 12 months ago as well and are very happy to date.

Not a daily driver and only put on about 7k and haven't noticed much wear but interested to get feedback on these for any daily drivers or longer Kms.

Woof
18th December 2013, 10:45 PM
Just realised that I have had mine on since June last year, daily drive and looking great so far

AB
18th December 2013, 10:47 PM
Just realised that I have had mine on since June last year, daily drive and looking great so far

Good to hear doggy, I was concerned how they would last on the black top.

Clunk
18th December 2013, 10:51 PM

Got any fotas?

Woof
19th December 2013, 12:31 AM
Got any fotas?

No but I do have some photographs

Clunk
19th December 2013, 12:34 AM
No but I do have some photographs

Oh terribly sorry old chap ;):D

93patrol
5th February 2014, 04:26 PM
apologies for digging this out but i am looking into some new tyres shortly and wondering how these are fairing i noticed AB you were going for the KM2's does that mean your not happy with the Feds or just need a change, and Doggy where's these pics mate please

AB
5th February 2014, 04:34 PM
apologies for digging this out but i am looking into some new tyres shortly and wondering how these are fairing i noticed AB you were going for the KM2's does that mean your not happy with the Feds or just need a change, and Doggy where's these pics mate please

Great off road, awesome!!!

I'm noticing a bit of wear though mate and only done about 7k!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

93patrol
5th February 2014, 04:38 PM
thats the hard part really isn't it i've had the BFG AT for 100000km now and they're pretty much stuffed and its either $400 for new 33x12.5 for KM2 or $300 for fed 35x12.5 so i don't know what would be the better deal for me with 70/30 road/track work, and have you tried them in sand at all?? or has any tried them in the sand??

AB
5th February 2014, 04:50 PM
thats the hard part really isn't it i've had the BFG AT for 100000km now and they're pretty much stuffed and its either $400 for new 33x12.5 for KM2 or $300 for fed 35x12.5 so i don't know what would be the better deal for me with 70/30 road/track work, and have you tried them in sand at all?? or has any tried them in the sand??

Yeah mate, tried them up at Straddy and on the Murray and surprisingly really good for a mud terrain. Not much noise on road and all round great but just concerned for the longevity that's all.

93patrol
5th February 2014, 06:16 PM
thanks Andy i might give them a go and see how long they last km wise and if they wear quckly it

AB
5th February 2014, 10:06 PM
How's the wear and tear on other people's federals?

Winnie
5th February 2014, 10:14 PM
How's the wear and tear on other people's federals?

My bro in laws were absolutely farrrked after 25,000kms. Almost bald.

lhurley
5th February 2014, 10:35 PM
Great off road, awesome!!!

I'm noticing a bit of wear though mate and only done about 7k!!!!

I've done 8k ish on my km2s, and apart from the molding sticks they look brand new. Oh and the cuts in them from wheeling.

I paid $300 for my km2s less then 6 months ago. I do feel I got an amazing deal.
It's hard choosing tyres cause you want something good for everything and to last. As far as I know the Feds are pretty good on/off road, but wear out pretty quick. Bloke at work has them, I don't think they will see 40k.

93patrol
5th February 2014, 10:50 PM
Either that or I look at maxxis bighorns. My dad and bro have always either BFG or mickeys so it's had to move away from something I always trusted

lhurley
5th February 2014, 11:05 PM
Either that or I look at maxxis bighorns. My dad and bro have always either BFG or mickeys so it's had to move away from something I always trusted

Honestly bighorns are over rated. They were good while they were cheap, but they aren't that cheap any more. If you are looking for a cheap set have a look at Summit Mud Hogs. Couple guys at work have them, they seem to go well. Unfortunately they are still only a reasonably new brand so it's hard to judge life expectancy. Should still see 70-80k

Woof
6th February 2014, 01:54 AM
Mine are as new still, but I only drive 2ks to work and back, not sure how many ks they have on them now

AB
6th February 2014, 08:21 AM
Mine are as new still, but I only drive 2ks to work and back, not sure how many ks they have on them now

Maybe It's the way I drive :bananarock:

nissannewby
6th February 2014, 09:49 AM

Km2's for the win mate. 85k on mine and still going. Should see 100k easy . It works out cheaper in the long run if you spend a little more and then get twice as many k's.

OlTroll
6th February 2014, 12:18 PM
I had a set on my D40, went anywhere and everywhere, I just ran 2 sets of wheels, 1 road, 1 off road

threedogs
31st August 2014, 04:38 PM

yo AB thinking of getting these for my Patrol, what were your findings, on and off road

AB
31st August 2014, 04:49 PM
yo AB thinking of getting these for my Patrol, what were your findings, on and off road

On and offroad are brilliant John but to be honest I'm disappointed in the wear.

I've only done about 20k and there is about 30% tread left. No idea if I just got a bad batch or not. I do know that I don't drive my car hard on the road either.

AB
31st August 2014, 04:51 PM
On and offroad are brilliant John but to be honest I'm disappointed in the wear.

I've only done about 20k and there is about 30% tread left. No idea if I just got a bad batch or not. I do know that I don't drive my car hard on the road either.

I was also thinking it could be the front lokka as I noticed a bit more wear on the front but I always go back to h2 on the fly whilst offroad too so no idea mate.

threedogs
31st August 2014, 05:14 PM
can get them for $215 in 285 75 16 guise, so maybe ok for the price

AB
31st August 2014, 05:20 PM
can get them for $215 in 285 75 16 guise, so maybe ok for the price

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's feedback...doggy, how are yours wearing???

threedogs
31st August 2014, 05:26 PM
I looked at the Huntsman trailer site on Ebay,
but the description on their tyres is that they are "remoulded" AKA Mongrels