PDA

View Full Version : Grenade V's CRD? main differences?

Bigcol
5th October 2010, 11:40 PM
okies oh all knowing and all seeing (?)

ticking over in the back of my mind is an idea of updating my much loved GQ
now
with the GU's
4.2turbo's are out - they are manual (have to think of the missus driving to and from work)
so that leaves the grenade & the new CRD
so, apart from the obvious (common rail = no mechanical pump as such) how much difference is there between these motors?
torque----
Kw------
failings - - - - - do you need to do the same prevention to the CRD as you do with the 3.0L????

if they are the same, then I am thinking that I cannot justify the extra folding on a new car V's an older one........ which I would hope would have more fruit on it

whats everyone's thoughts??????

cheers

YNOT
5th October 2010, 11:52 PM
Both are ZD30 engines, Nissan just adapted a common rail fuel system to the later engines to get it past emmission regulations until the new engine is released. I don't have exact figures, but the CRD motors only had slightly more power and torque than the DI motors.

The series 3 onwards DI motors were more reliable than the earlier engines, the CRD's are better again and as such don't require the same level of reliabillity mods. That said, I recommend fitting boost and pyro gauges to ALL turbo diesels.

Tony

Chaz
8th October 2010, 06:43 AM
The Di and CRD share similar power and torque ratings. 118KW at 3600rpm and 380nm at 2000rpm (Manual) and 354nm at 2000rpm (Auto), so basically no difference in performance on paper. Personally, I’ve found the CRD to have slightly more torque below 2000rpm, but less pull above 3000rpm than the Di.

The CRD is a much quieter engine and has a much smarter ECU with better control over fuel and boost. The CRD has addressed some of the ZD30 issues with improved boost control, shorter glow periods and better fuel mixture control, but it still needs a crankcase filter. It also has an improved cylinder head design compared to the Di. On the downside, there have been many reports of high fuel consumption and EGT’s compared to the Di, but so far no reports of the typical ZD30 failures that we use to hear of, but it still may be too early to tell.