PDA

View Full Version : MAF Cleaning

Guido
5th October 2010, 11:01 PM
Hi guys,
It seems important on 3.0ltres to ensure the MAF is kept clean.
Exactly what is a MAF - what does it do - and how does one (who doesn't know what a MAF is) clean it?
Now I know I'm potentially leading here with the chin - be kind with your replies. Being unfamiliar with the MAF - a photo with the instructions would be great.
Thanks guys
Guido

AB
5th October 2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Guido, we don't tolerate any abuse here mate so even if it may seem simple just ask.

one of our very knowledable members YNOT posted a detailed report about it here...See below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors&highlight=cleaning

Woof
5th October 2010, 11:36 PM
Guido, if in doubt always ask mate, that's the only way we all learn and then we can pass the information on to someone else:cool:

Guido
6th October 2010, 09:51 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply.
In the link - which is great it says: 'Do not touch any of the surfaces of the sensor, let the cleaning spray do the work. If you work over a white cloth, you can see the color of the solvent coming off, keep going untill the solvent comes off clean.'
Does this mean - Do not touch the sensors with ones hands - use the white cloth? - Or does it mean do not touch the sensors with hands or cloth - use the cloth for other parts of the unit?
Thanks guys

YNOT
6th October 2010, 01:33 PM
Hold the sensor by the base/mounting flange. The sensitive parts of the sensor are inside the holes in the other end of the sensor. I put that warning in in case anyone was tempted to use a cotton bud or similar to get inside the sensor.

Tony

Maxhead
7th October 2010, 09:23 PM
Not sure if mentioned, but it's a good idea to give the MAF contacts(plug) a bit of a clean for a good solid contact

Roady
7th October 2010, 11:29 PM
You can also use NF Contact cleaner, which is a electrical circuit board cleaner that leaves no residue. Don't know if it''s any cheaper or not than MAF Cleaner, but it is another viable option.
I use it 'cause we have it at work.

OVER.THE.HILL
10th October 2010, 10:57 AM
install an oil catch can=provent 200 ect.
this will help keep your MAF sensor clean ,reduces crankcase oil blow-by.

nickpeacock36
24th October 2010, 07:26 PM
Just cleaned mine with the crc stuff. it reccomends cleaning every time you change the filter. its an easy job so why not.