PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are these off?

knightpatrol66
1st June 2012, 12:05 PM
Hey All
After some advice really, These were on the Beast when I bought it last week and can't seem to find much info on the rims. Don't think they are off a Patrol/Mav.

Front: LT235/85 R16 Ironman ATX1 Tyres on Genuine NISSAN Rim J16x6JJ
Rear: LT235/85 R16 Summit Trail Climbers M&S on Genuine NISSAN Rim J16x6JJ

The 4 Tyres are less than a Month old, but look like someone put bicycle tyres on the Mav.

The LT's make it a rough old ride to boot.

Local Tyre shop here in Kalgoorlie can do 4 x 15x7" Sunraysia's coated with MAXXI'S 751's with Fitting and alignment for $1150:00 Is this a good price? or is there a better combo someone can suggest?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

nissannewby
1st June 2012, 12:57 PM
I have 751's mate and dont rate them. A lot of blokes seem to get a good run out of the bighorns and they wont be much different in price to what you are looking at and by what i know with what i have got and what i have heard from others the bighorns would be a much better path.

knightpatrol66
2nd June 2012, 03:19 AM
Hmmm yeah mixed reactions to the 751's huh? Ok Bighorns have got my interest mate, Thanks for the heads up

2TROLLFAM
2nd June 2012, 08:40 AM
Brad has bighorns on Amelia and have found them to be a pretty good tyre

knightpatrol66
2nd June 2012, 03:59 PM
Amelia looks like a Beauty. So people, from an economy/performance point of view... with a TB42, would you go for 16x7's or 15x7's For a while "Jonah" will be doing long runs on dirt roads vs climbing up mountains etc....Your advice would be mighty nice...Cheers

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2012, 08:48 PM
16x8s and fit with 285/75/R16 in an LT bighorn if you want a muddy style or a Micky T MTZ or for an all terrain the Micky T ATZ 4 or 5 rib is the winner mate

MudRunnerTD
2nd June 2012, 08:53 PM
The early DX Patrols without the factory flare kit came put in a Narrow wheel pack with a 6inch rim I thInk? I have seen a few around like that. I bet the thing is bog stock standard with those things still on it.

If You fit the 16x8 got for a Negative 22 offset rim and fit flexi flares. You will love it

knightpatrol66
3rd June 2012, 01:25 AM
Awesome Mudrunner, certainly appreciate the advice......yeah the "ice-skates don't inspire much confidence....nice large footprint sounds like the go...cheers again mate

Morton
3rd June 2012, 10:15 AM
Mate I run Cooper ST 33's on my GU with negative 13mm 16" off road rims & run BFG 35 Muddies on my Maverick, got 55,000 kms on the ST's so far but up for renewal in 5-10,000 kms, my next set will be Maxxis I think, we have had 6-7 members fit them & are very happy, I am just waiting to see what milage they get, dont buy the Cooper STT muddies, they will last 20-25,000 kms, Maxxis have gone up in price in the last few years which is a shame but they had to get into the market better, they succeeded but pricing went up, one guy is on his second set, he will never change now.

FYI
I run the Coopers on the GU cos it is for mild to medium 4wd & is my Tourer, milage is important, I run the BFG 35 Muddies but never again, they just cant seem to throw the mud easy, the boys in the Maxxis throw the same mud straight out, this is never more important expecially in 'pig' mud, it is a nightmare to throw at the best of times, the Maxxis throw it better, the BFG's clog badly & I get stuck, have to ring the neck outa it to throw the mud but sometimes it just wont go, very frustrating on play days but I wont change until they need to be done, dont like to waste my hard earned money

macca11
3rd June 2012, 01:21 PM
This is exactly why I joined up to the forum. I recently got an 89 gq ute with the exact same rims and same tyre size and once I started looking round was confused as to what offset would be required. Mine is a narrow track and the tyres are shocking on anything that resembles wet grass let alone mud!

Have been looking online and there are a few retailers on ebay that do the exact rim and tyre package mudrunner is talking about that might be worth a look.

Thanks for posting it knightpatrol!

Finly Owner
7th June 2012, 12:02 AM
Cheese cutter were and are still used world wide by armed forces on 4WDs for cutting through mud and getting tractinon instead of sitting on top. As you could understand an aggressive treaded cheese cutter is more economical than big fat muddies in that senario. But we could all learn something by taking some note from them,.

Tim

GQ TANK
22nd June 2012, 10:03 PM
LT235/85 R16 = 7.50 r16 usually with Split rims

I run the 7.50 r16 in the mud and general use - I have found that I get better traction with the narrow tyres

I use 265 / 75 / r16 AT for long trips and sand driving.

GQ TANK
22nd June 2012, 10:04 PM
LT235/85 R16 = 7.50 r16 usually with Split rims

I run the 7.50 r16 in the mud and general use - I have found that I get better traction with the narrow tyres

I use 265 / 75 / r16 AT for long trips and sand driving.

Also 265 / 75/16 are nearly the same size (height) as the 7.50 r16 = legal