PDA

View Full Version : RECOMMENDATIONS: New to 4x4ing and need helpful tips!

jordan1994
30th May 2012, 06:17 PM
G'day members, my name is Jordan and I'm new to 4x4ing.
I have bought my first car being a 1999 Gu Nissan Patrol, tb45 on gas.
I'm an apprentice chippy and I live in the Western side of Melbourne. I will be hauling a trailer from time to time, not after a roof rack though.
I'm looking for helpful tips, ideas or thoughts to help me choose the right modifications for the vehicle.
i don't have a huge budget but i am willing to spend up $5,000.
My thoughts at the moment are a suspension lift, wheels and tyres and anything extra that you can think of mechanically or electronically?
I will mainly do weekend 4x4ing, nothing to serious but i still want the car to perform and look the part.
I need help regarding 35'inch tyres compared to 33'inch? suspension lift i was thinking 3 inch, but i need more information on both of these two modifications as well as what type of mud tyres are best all rounders..?

please give me as much advice and recommendations as possible and the problems i may have with certain after market parts.

Thank you Jordan

growler2058
30th May 2012, 07:05 PM
G'day Jordan welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. A lot of folks don't read the intros mate so ask your questions again in tyres an suspension. Nothin beats the looks of a 4"lift and a set of 35" muddies its just the legality of it in each sate that's the killer!

Tapp tillya Crap

Bigrig
30th May 2012, 07:50 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

healy
30th May 2012, 07:53 PM
welcome to the forum

jordan1994
30th May 2012, 08:04 PM
thanks guys, glad to be here. its a good layout and seems really friendly for an online page! :)

AB
30th May 2012, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, as mentioned above you'll get a lot better response by posting up questions somewhere else....Enjoy!

wildgu6
30th May 2012, 08:24 PM
G'day & welcome aboard Jordan
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Finly Owner
30th May 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Jordan

Tim

Dhuck
31st May 2012, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

DX grunt
31st May 2012, 08:09 AM
G'day Jordan

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

I'd suggest you have proper front and rear recovery points, good recovery gear, a decent first aid kit, and a 80ch CB.

Being an apprentice, I'm assuming you're a young fella. As this is your first truck, I'd suggest you do an accredited 4wd course, so you get to know your truck and what it's capable of. The course should also help you to build your confidence.

Keep your truck legal and safe. Don't be driving around in fear of getting a canary.

All the best with your mods.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Winnie
31st May 2012, 08:17 AM
If I were you mate, I'd be going 2" lift with 33" tyres just to keep it legal, and if you're not looking to do really serious stuff then that will get you anywhere you want to go.

jordan1994
31st May 2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks mate, yes that is so true. I'm trying to keep the car as clean as possible, but with some decent gear to make it a good looking but performing rig.
No doubt ill keep it as legal as possible, but thanks for the heads up! Yeah I'm only young mate not quite 18 just yet, but very close to and i have started early!
cheers Jordan

jordan1994
31st May 2012, 07:49 PM
Are 3' inch lifts legal in Victoria?
cheers Jordan

Winnie
31st May 2012, 08:38 PM
Pretty sure they are mate... that being said I've got a 3" lift and I'm on P plates with a big zorst and loud stereo and have never even been looked at by the coppers.

But where are the photos of your rig?

DX grunt
31st May 2012, 08:39 PM
Are 3' inch lifts legal in Victoria?
cheers Jordan
3' (foot)....no.
3" (inches).....not sure.

lol

Ben-e-boy
1st June 2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks mate, yes that is so true. I'm trying to keep the car as clean as possible, but with some decent gear to make it a good looking but performing rig.
No doubt ill keep it as legal as possible, but thanks for the heads up! Yeah I'm only young mate not quite 18 just yet, but very close to and i have started early!
cheers Jordan

mate,if you want to keep it clean go with the 2 inch lift and 33's, if your budget is 5k you will easily get a quality lift kit and tyres, with the money left over buy a locker for the front diff
it will perform well on and offroad

Cheers
Benny

jordan1994
1st June 2012, 06:11 PM
yeah fair enough man, id love to get a 3'inch and i can, but i want to make sure it stays legal down the track.
Yes i know, photos will come when i put a few things on it! shes a bit shy being stock!

Winnie
1st June 2012, 06:13 PM
We need to see stock pics mate, makes it all the more grander once the mods start rolling in!