PDA

View Full Version : Connecting TV to 12 volt - Cable and connecting question

AB
27th May 2012, 05:10 PM
I have asked around many shops and Google and no one reallys knows the answer.

I was given a little Conia LCD TV that I want to use in the camper. The previous owner had a 12 volt cable and ran this TV when he was camping, etc.

I can get a cord that plugs directly into the TV using that little pin plug and to the ciggy socket but I can't find a cable that will run to the box first as I saw on a post in a camping forum that you need to run it into the box first.

As far as I can see the box is a 240V input to 12V output converter for when using the normal three pin 240v connection.

Does anyone know if you can completely bypass this by just getting a 12 volt cord directly into the TV or will this cause polarity issues???

the evil twin
27th May 2012, 05:28 PM
Hiya mate...

You are correct, the box is only for AC operation.

The Conia should run fine directly off 12 VDC. Just check to make sure you have the polarity correct (did the guy give you the lead he was using?)

The only thing to watch is that you don't let the batteries get waay low or run it off unregulated solar which is too high... anywhere from 11 ish to 14 ish will be just fine

99% of "off the shelf" 12 Volt leads will be centre pin positive and if you have a close look at the adapter box in the pic that is what the Conia requires

AB
27th May 2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks ET, I was hoping you would see this post...haha

The previous owner is touring around Australia at the moment and they kept the cord unfortunately.

It will just be used to play the Wiggles for an hour before bedtime that's all....lol

the evil twin
27th May 2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks ET, I was hoping you would see this post...haha

The previous owner is touring around Australia at the moment and they kept the cord unfortunately.

It will just be used to play the Wiggles for an hour before bedtime that's all....lol

A wiggles fan eh... which one is your fav colour? :hpfredgeorge1:

No biggee not having the cord...

If you want to make one up from stuff lying around pretty much any ciggy plug lead will do and you just need to solder on the appropriate size socket on the other end (Jaycar, Dickies etc will all have 'em) if soldering is out then a bit of a search will find "screw terminal" plugs

If you need a quick off the shelf solution those retailers will all have el cheapo ciggy plug ins with about 6 to 10 interchangeable plugs on the other end, one of which should fit the Conia.

I think the Conia will be 2.1 mm jack plug but don't hold me to that.

AB
27th May 2012, 08:10 PM
A wiggles fan eh... which one is your fav colour? :hpfredgeorge1:

No biggee not having the cord...

If you want to make one up from stuff lying around pretty much any ciggy plug lead will do and you just need to solder on the appropriate size socket on the other end (Jaycar, Dickies etc will all have 'em) if soldering is out then a bit of a search will find "screw terminal" plugs

If you need a quick off the shelf solution those retailers will all have el cheapo ciggy plug ins with about 6 to 10 interchangeable plugs on the other end, one of which should fit the Conia.

I think the Conia will be 2.1 mm jack plug but don't hold me to that.

Thanks again mate, I'm not bad at soldering so will give it a whirl...Oh yeah, the blue one...LMAO

oncedisturbed
27th May 2012, 10:44 PM
Jaycar or similar should have a plug that suits your needs, reason why I say this as I just purchsed a 15" one for wifey next to the bed at home that is also 12v / 240v for use once we get our camper. Came through the mail last week and felt like a dufus as there were no 12v cables, rang them up and said the manufacturer does not provide them but are compatible with the generic 12v plugs as long as the input plug to the tv itself is the same. I am hoping to get to jaycar during the week to find 1

AB
19th June 2012, 10:36 AM
Job done, soldered the wires to the plug and onto the socket....Works a treat!

Wiggles in the bush here we come...LMAO

Must be getting soft in our generation as my old man would never let us do this when camping as kids...lol

Sir Roofy
19th June 2012, 12:05 PM
Job done, soldered the wires to the plug and onto the socket....Works a treat!

Wiggles in the bush here we come...LMAO

Must be getting soft in our generation as my old man would never let us do this when camping as kids...lol

sorry mate have to agree with your dad,how are you or anybody else going to
teach the young,s any thing about survival, 4x4ing fishing, they get all that at home
and when you all go camping its time to empty your heads of all the stress around you
im afraid if you you need to take tv,s ,microwaves into the bush they might as well
stay in a caravanpark
i know there only babies but agree with your dad

AB
19th June 2012, 12:13 PM
I haven't slept for 2 years Roofy...LMAO

Nah it will just be for an hour before bed to settle the little bas$ard down....

She's only 2 years old so it will only be for a year or so....Yep, who am I kidding!

Bob
19th June 2012, 12:28 PM
This is what I think of T.V's on Camping Trips
RAFLMAO Hope you take this as a Joke Mate.
Now in my Day ............ LOL

Sir Roofy
19th June 2012, 01:11 PM
totally agree with Bob

AB
19th June 2012, 01:14 PM
This is what I think of T.V's on Camping Trips
RAFLMAO Hope you take this as a Joke Mate.
Now in my Day ............ LOL

Is that a giant thumbs up for the idea Bob....lol

Arr shucks, thanks mate!

taslucas
19th June 2012, 01:35 PM
Plenty of parents out there that plonk em in front of tv and will NEVER take em camping ever. At least your little girl gets to experience the great outdoors:)

Tap, crackle, pop

my third 256
19th June 2012, 03:07 PM
bugger the tv we just use the partable dvd player cos no reception where we go and keeps then quiet when traveling

timbar
19th June 2012, 03:14 PM
We put a roof mount in the missuses paj and it has been the best investment for the kids ...now they cant wait to go on long trips they love it

AB
18th August 2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/70.jpgWell it works a treat!!

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 03:01 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/70.jpgWell it works a treat!!

Looks good mate. My kids never watch the box as the're too busy mucking up outside but I don't mind the news and footy occasionally

..........on the move

Silver
18th August 2012, 03:38 PM
Horses for courses I reckon.

I imagine TV or DVD are a godsend when the rain sets in and options to travel to somewhere dry for a while are limited. Our Nipper is now old enough to be sucked in by books, so I'm happy about that.

What I do struggle with, is when someone pulls up, cranks up the genny as far as they can get it from usually their van, and watches TV all through the gathering dusk and into the night. These are often older folks who's hearing is fading, so the volume is up. Violence to the technology has often been contemplated. One bloke at Leslie Dam years ago even had an electric organ in his van................

Silver
18th August 2012, 03:39 PM
me again.

Looking at AB's early photo that shows the output and input of the transformer, the output along with the numbers, had a line with dashes underneath.

Does this signify DC, or something else? If it does, what does AC symbol look like?

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 06:24 PM
Schematic symbol for Alternating Current is a single Sine Wave (or on a PC a 'tilde' IE the upper case or shift of the characters on the button to the left of the number 1 key on a qwerty keyboard)

Him pella dat lokim lik disun...
~

Cuppa
18th August 2012, 07:26 PM
I considered including a tv in our camper, but decided against it. We do have one in the bus, together with a portable satellite setup. Initially when I fitted it if felt a bit of a 'fraud' having a tv out in the bush, thinking much the same as Roofy. However I was glad we fitted it...... During our 18 month trip around Oz it did get used, not regularly, but sometimes it's good just to have the choice. In one place we were camped out in a national park campground somewhere with the sat dish set up outside & a passing kid asked what it was for. When I told him it was for tv, he commented straight off " That's not proper camping" ..... No doubt had had this drummed into him by his old man. I replied with a question "Do you have a tv at home?" " Yeah, course" he said. "Well this is our home, we've been living in it for over a year now" I came back at him with. He was impressed & I'd like to think he went back to his camp & educated his old man.

Cuppa.

AB
18th August 2012, 07:37 PM
Schematic symbol for Alternating Current is a single Sine Wave (or on a PC a 'tilde' IE the upper case or shift of the characters on the button to the left of the number 1 key on a qwerty keyboard)

Him pella dat lokim lik disun...
~

Your a freak sometimes with your knowledge ET....LMAO

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 11:47 PM
Your a freak sometimes with your knowledge ET....LMAO

ROFL... Hiya AB

Sometimes it's handy being a Gemini, one of the people in my head usually knows something relevant. I was asking myself the other day where all the other voices had come from tho. I thought there was only supposed to be two of us in there.

Comes in darn handy at trivia nights tho...

mudski
9th September 2012, 08:54 PM
I haven't slept for 2 years Roofy...LMAO

Nah it will just be for an hour before bed to settle the little bas$ard down....

She's only 2 years old so it will only be for a year or so....Yep, who am I kidding!

Mate, my first girl was a few months from 5 until she, and mum and dad, had her first full night of sleep. It was minimum of up five times a night a 30 minutes a time.
But on topic, I have to thank my girls, they are the reason for me buying a Patrol. I took them camping for the first time last Easter to Sheepyard Flats. I literally had to take them kicking and screaming home after being there for five days. They absolutely loved it. So had I sell my New D-Max and buy a Troll. They keep asking me when the next trip is too...Cup Weekend is looking good.

AB
9th September 2012, 09:31 PM
Mate, my first girl was a few months from 5 until she, and mum and dad, had her first full night of sleep. It was minimum of up five times a night a 30 minutes a time.
But on topic, I have to thank my girls, they are the reason for me buying a Patrol. I took them camping for the first time last Easter to Sheepyard Flats. I literally had to take them kicking and screaming home after being there for five days. They absolutely loved it. So had I sell my New D-Max and buy a Troll. They keep asking me when the next trip is too...Cup Weekend is looking good.

We'll have to organise a meet up with the girls mate and sook about our lack of sleep...LMAO

mudski
9th September 2012, 09:38 PM
Hehe I now get plenty of sleep. The one and only thing that got my girl to sleep was to stop listening to others. We spent thousands in Psychologist's and sleep schools and nothing worked. Until we just listened to what our girl had to say. Less than a month later she was sleeping through the night in her own bed.
So one bit of advice to any new dads, or mums, out there. Tell everyone to GTFO and do what gives you the most sleep. Because I tell ya, it nearly broke our marriage.

threedogs
9th September 2012, 09:42 PM
Ab any particular reason you used the cig plug instead of the merit stlye, cig lighters are not very efficient better connection with the merit MO only

AB
9th September 2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah mate we spent about a solid 12 months with her in our bed. I don't give a rats what people say...lol....It made me get a few extra hours which is absolute gold in my lifestyle.

This has to be the official hijacking thread at its best. Gone from a problem with 12 volt TV to parenting...haha...Love it!!!

AB
9th September 2012, 09:44 PM
Ab any particular reason you used the cig plug instead of the merit stlye, cig lighters are not very efficient better connection with the merit MO only

I havent set my plugs up properly mate.

Just using my old mans standard 3 plug box he made for us as a gift but will upgrade in the future for sure!