PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit legality.

Brendan56
26th May 2012, 08:35 PM
Hey forum!
I was just thinking about lifts before (even though i dont have a patrol yet)
And i've seen a few people driving around with 4 inches in townsville, would they just be people that had 2 inches, got it roadworthied, then got another 2 inches? Or is it possible to get 4" rwc in qld?

Cheers, Brendan.

DX grunt
26th May 2012, 08:38 PM
My understanding is that 2" is the highest you can go. Any higher needs an engineers certificate that costs big bucks. I'd say these 4" are running the gauntlet and are a yellow sticker waiting to happen.

Don't live and drive in fear. Check it out and see what's legal, before you commit to anything.

Rossco

Brendan56
26th May 2012, 08:40 PM
Ah fair enough, also, do you know if the 2" max includes body lift?

NissanGQ4.2
26th May 2012, 08:48 PM
As fair as I'm aware you can still get 4 inches certified in QLD which will mean its legal. And I thinks a forum member got his certified not that long ago and it did dot cost all that much, of the top of my head was only a couple of hundred 2 get certified and well worth the money 2 stay legal.

nissannewby
26th May 2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah in qld i think its 4" all up so you can have 2" body with a 2" spring or a 4" spring lift but for a couple of hundred to get it certified will make life a lot easier if asked by the boys in blue. I run a 5" lift and 2" body lift in mine and the only thing i have been pinned on is running 35's

Aquaman
27th May 2012, 12:46 AM
Here is a bit of info that might help. Most i have just copy and pasted from Queensland Tranport documents.

For technical information regarding modifications contact the Modification Help Desk, Department of Transport and Main Roads on (07) 31145844.

These guys are usually pretty good. Well the NSW guys are.

An engineer is what they call an approved person.

Approved Persons (AP) are accredited by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) to carry out and/or certify vehicle modifications

Approved Persons are employed by private industry and authorised by Queensland Transport to approve vehicle modifications.
Automotive businesses throughout Queensland, including most service stations which issue Safety Certificates, have Approved Persons. The names and addresses of Approved Persons are available at Queensland Transport Customer Service Centres.

So basically ring your local one and ask them for a list or details of an approved person in your area.

Here is the Customer Service Centre Info
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/Contact-us/In-person/Customer-service-centres.aspx

You can still do the modifications yourself or have them done for you. However, it is strongly suggested that an Approved Person is consulted prior to commencement of any modification to find out the relevant standards for approval. The scheme allows Approved Persons to approve modifications done by others provided the modifications meet the standards set by the Code of Practice.

That way you don't do it and find out later that it can't be approved.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might have trouble getting a straight answer out of an approved person. They should give you a general idea though.

This might help too. It is the guide to modifications.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

scotty83
27th May 2012, 07:36 AM
Don't forget to check with your insurance company. Certificate or not they don't care. Some companies won't insure modify vehicles.

97_gq_lwb
27th May 2012, 07:50 AM
I had to have an imported motorbike approved by an engineer.
Anyway i started ringing engineers on the list and got a whole lot of dribble and no straight answers.
Finally i found this one http://www.mobilityengineering.com.au/
Straight forward told me costs up front wich were a lot less then the other dribblers straight forward answers and it was a pleasure.
Might save anyone else in sydney the drama of dealing with the dribblers.

MQ MAD
27th May 2012, 09:50 AM
2 " (50 mm) or 1/3 more than factory suspension travel
2 " body lifts used to be a full inspection at a transport place, but not anymore , but conditions do apply
(Contact extreme 4x4 , a member on here or at patrol4x4.com, he approves body lifts now)
Tyres can be no more than 15mm larger than the largest offered on that model, usually determined by the tyre placard on the car somewhere (glove box,door)
This is for QLD , and like this backward country , every state has different rules regarding this
Yep , no uniform aussie wide code, whats approved in one state doesnt automatically mean its approvable in another

Unapproved body lifts , suspension beyond whats legal, tyres beyond whats legal , and your on your own
Usually will carry demerit point issues, fines ,and an inspection at a transport place,let alone removing said parts

GQPorkroll
28th May 2012, 06:13 PM
From what I know (As as we speak, as rules change all the time) 2" lift over standard is all that is legal. i'm in NSW and i've spoken with my insurance co, and a 2" lift is permissible. I also have 20mm coil spacers fitted, which is probably pushing it a bit, however, first off, they're black and at first glance, nearly invisible and realistically, they don't provide much extra 'lift' at all, as the coil sits inside them and they sit in the body, so the actual lift would be less than 15mm, but if I was given the option of take them off or be defected, they'd be out.

I was told ALL body lifts are illegal. Again, i'm in NSW and rules differ from (What seems) town to town and if done correctly, I don't see how or why they should be illegal, but personally, I don't like them as they don't provide you with any effective lift (as the chassis/running gear) is still the same height from the ground and you have to bend or lengthen your gearsticks, clutch lines, handbrake cables etc, I did a body lift on my old 4WD and it was a pain in the arse. I assume most body lifts are done to clear larger tyres, but I have 35" on my GQ and I've never scrubbed or rubbed at all.

Another thing to remember now is that GQ's can be up to 25yo. Who knows what the original height was? Who's to say your truck doesn't have a legal lift and bigger tyres? Most of the coppers wouldn't have been born when the GQ was released, so if the truck is modified sensibly and doesn't have tyres hanging out of the body and stuff like that, and you're not an obnoxious cock when the cop stops you, a lot of things will be let slide.

If you do your mods with common sense and drive sensibly around town and stick to legal 4WD tracks, you typically find you're not harassed much.

2TROLLFAM
28th May 2012, 07:46 PM
I just rang my insurance company (Suncorp) and they said so long as the mods are legal as fair as Dept of Main Roads are concerned then my ute would be insured if I put a lift kit on it (Navara) .... hmmm how do I save for that???

Richo460
30th May 2012, 05:19 AM
I got my patrol a RWC when i bought it to get the rego trasferred. I contacted an engineer/approved person in Brisbane to come out and mod plate it. It has a 4" superior/toughdog kit in it. The bloke came out and said he was reviewing the rules and i got the RWC without blue plate. Its alos running 33"s but all was sweet.

I used to own the complete guidelines for vehicle modification. I bought it at the goprint office in Wooloongabba. It was a waste of money and was so full of crap. Basically from what i read if someone would engineer it then it is legal. That was my interpretation of it anyway. I just wish QLD would allow me to hang an 8/71 weiand blower 2 foot out the bonnet of my XB coupe:devilred:

2TROLLFAM
30th May 2012, 01:31 PM
Useful for QLD only : Modifications Team at Depart of Main Roads & Transport (07) 3114 5844

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

megatexture
30th May 2012, 04:10 PM
thanks amelia was a good read

Mojo01
31st May 2012, 02:23 AM
for those asking this question in SA.. the answer is 2 inch suspension lift is legal, you can also do a 2 inch body lift. coil spacers are NOT legal in south australia. max tire size for GQ's in SA is 33's .. so when you do the math you a good lift from standard just by keeping it legal... mine just passed a check at regency ( our RTA inspection center) as I needed to get the engine number recorded, it all passed with flying colors as listed above

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
13th June 2012, 09:30 AM
Hi, there are a few correct answers and good information printed above.

In Queensland you do not have to get a suspension lift approved.

You will find that the legal lift (after doing your homework) is 50/70mm (Patrol).

If someone says they can Blue Plate a bigger lift they are ripping you off. It cannot be done legally.

Again tyres can only be 15mm over what your vehicle is complied too, check glove-box lid for your vehicles tyre size.

But please remember tyres & suspension over and above the legal limit cannot be engineered or Blue Plated by anyone.

So if some one says that they can do it, phone transport first if you don't believe the above comments.

Cheers
David Metcalfe
Approved Person 2868