PDA

View Full Version : when do you need to replace oil pump 1996 gq 3.0 RX petrol

daves mrs
5th October 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me when you should replace the oil pump. Have a 1996 GQ 3.0l RX petrol model, has just over 300,000km on it. Still has oil pressure but not as much as our old hilux did. What should oil pressure normally be, and what should we let it drop to before replacing oil pump? Cheers.

YNOT
6th October 2010, 12:22 AM
Oil pressure at idle; more than 59kPa.
Oil pressure at 3200 rpm; 382-461kPa.

Replacing the oil pump at 300,000km may not fix your low oil pressure issues. Low oil pressure can also be caused by worn bearings etc. try using a thicker oil, ie if you're currently using 15w40, try using 20w50.

Tony

Bigrig
7th October 2010, 09:49 PM
Might want to get a pressure test done and get a few other items looked at mate - as per YNOT, it may not even be the pump, and increasing the oil rating (viscosity - specifically the first number in this instance) may not suit for wherever you are located - i.e. if you are somewhere cold, you need a lower viscosity rating for cold starts (5, 10 or 15), to allow the oil to flow, and hence you could be just compounding your problems by going a higher viscosity/weight oil - not to mention you have to change it more often!!!!

All the best with it mate.

MADM4N
7th October 2010, 10:38 PM
300k is a big number to have on a petrol motor especially if your not the first owner... Thicker oil may prolong the agony of fixing the problem at hand but could and possibly will make it worse... I know which way i'd be going... Good luck

daves mrs
8th October 2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. :)

daves mrs
9th March 2011, 03:43 PM
Just a quickie - was talking to a mate that is a mechanic who also owns a gq - he said it was really common for the stock oil pressure gauge in the gq's to be faulty - his often didn't register any pressure at all - he recommended changing oil pressure gauge before we touched the oil pump. Hubbie finally got around to it last month after getting a scare when oil pressure dropped to nothing and then came up again later that night. Car actually has good oil pressure - it was just the crappy original gauge, so all is good now. Was definitely the cheaper option to go in the process of elimination lol.

Bob
9th March 2011, 03:49 PM
Just a quickie - was talking to a mate that is a mechanic who also owns a gq - he said it was really common for the stock oil pressure gauge in the gq's to be faulty - his often didn't register any pressure at all - he recommended changing oil pressure gauge before we touched the oil pump. Hubbie finally got around to it last month after getting a scare when oil pressure dropped to nothing and then came up again later that night. Car actually has good oil pressure - it was just the crappy original gauge, so all is good now. Was definitely the cheaper option to go in the process of elimination lol.

Great to hear. By the way my Son in Law has a GQ 4.2L Petrol Motor which has done in excess of 525,000 K's and does not burn Oil and runs like a clock. Hope yours goes as long

daves mrs
9th March 2011, 04:00 PM
That's great to hear Bob. My hubbie is pretty good at keeping up the maintenance, something my uncle always did since new (before he passed away). We figured that even though it had 300,000k on it, it was really well maintained so should be alright. I'll tell my hubbie about your son-in-law's as his mate's have been trying to convince him to buy a late model diesel to drop in it. (the dream killer - me) has been pointing out that spending lot's of $$$ on a late model motor when this one is perfectly OK at the moment is wasting money that could be going in to fuel etc and good weekends lol. Plus, as you say, this could go for a long time yet, fingers-crossed, it takes a bloody lot of weekends for us to work up a couple of hundred thousand k's. Just a quick question though, ours has a 95 litre tank and I was wondering what sort of k's your son-in-law gets out of a full tank of fuel? Have a good one.

Bob
9th March 2011, 04:03 PM
That's great to hear Bob. My hubbie is pretty good at keeping up the maintenance, something my uncle always did since new (before he passed away). We figured that even though it had 300,000k on it, it was really well maintained so should be alright. I'll tell my hubbie about your son-in-law's as his mate's have been trying to convince him to buy a late model diesel to drop in it. (the dream killer - me) has been pointing out that spending lot's of $$$ on a late model motor when this one is perfectly OK at the moment is wasting money that could be going in to fuel etc and good weekends lol. Plus, as you say, this could go for a long time yet, fingers-crossed, it takes a bloody lot of weekends for us to work up a couple of hundred thousand k's. Just a quick question though, ours has a 95 litre tank and I was wondering what sort of k's your son-in-law gets out of a full tank of fuel? Have a good one.

It is Dual Fuel and has 95 Litres Gas which gets 400 K's. I am not sure how much Petrol it holds and the Fuel usuage

daves mrs
9th March 2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that Bob, he's been thinking of putting it on gas - but aren't sure because of loss of space for tank.