PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on a mk 2.8 petrol

41ook_patrol
25th May 2012, 04:25 PM
hey ppl, im thinking of buying a mk with a 2.8 carby petrol in it i just want to no what everyone thoughts are towards the 2.8 motors
thanks

41ook_patrol
25th May 2012, 04:46 PM
also i forgot to ask if the 2.8l is a 4 or 6 cylinder

MQ MAD
25th May 2012, 05:46 PM
6 cylinder
They are a great robust engine, the same engine as the nissan Z cars
Love to rev, but when in a 4by they love the juice
Dont have the low down torque of the diesels, but out rev the diesels
Sound lovely spinning at 6,000 rpm.....

aussiemale
25th May 2012, 08:56 PM
As MQ says, they love the juice however I love it as it's so simple to fix IF it breaks down. Apart from that, heaps of room in the engine bay to add other goodies

41ook_patrol
25th May 2012, 09:00 PM
ok cool thanks guys the one i have found i really like i own a gq wagon atm but going to sell it.
is there many mods we could do to the 2.8 in the mk

aussiemale
25th May 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm in the process of learning as I go and will be doing a rebuild on mine (check Bryans MQ/MK Build) when I remove the body, will flick the motor off to a local bloke that does "classics" to give her a new lease of life. I'd prob leave mine as she is as believe in the KISS principle LOL

41ook_patrol
25th May 2012, 09:14 PM
ok cool thanks mate ill have a look

41ook_patrol
25th May 2012, 09:32 PM
just wondering how many k's i would get out of a tank fuel with the 2.8l, im getting around 400k's out of a 80L tank in my gq wagon.

MQ MAD
26th May 2012, 10:14 AM
They are,depending on the engines condition and how you drive em , rather heavy on the juice and get ruffy 5K/l (20 l per 100)
Ive a log book here of an mq 2.8 petrol wagon and over many years and many tanks it was around that
What to do to them ,
Basics,electric ignition,extractors, better carb (tho the factory 2 barrell carb is adequete)
Slip over to the nissan Z car forum, those blokes love em
Can go twin carb, injection(factory on L series powered Z cars) maybe triple webers if youve a lazy few grand lying around , whatever your wallet allows, but some of this power adding stuff isnt good for off road applications

Johan Safari
1st June 2012, 08:43 AM
Own/Owned several petrol GQ/MQ's. The MQ is much lighter and use around 30%+ less fuel than the GQ (petrol). MQ parts like L28, clutch, service items, water pump etc. are around 1/3 the price of GQ parts as long as you don't mention the Patrol word ;)
Adding fuel injection from a later model 280Z or Skyline L28, will decrease the fuel consumption a lot more. The engine responds well to extractors, cams and a good flow job on the heads. L28s rev like crazy! I love them, but, for less money you can convert the L28 to a RB30E (EFI).... more power, better fuel consumption, more torque... standard. Lots of gearbox options as well with the divorced transfer case of the L28 LWB.
I owned a LWB L28 ute that averaged 8.5km/L on the freeway with Weber DCS40 carby, extractors and easily did a sub 10 second 0-100km/h on 33 muddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhPI04b4nM

moose maverick
3rd June 2012, 12:24 AM
I had a MK L28 powered shorty added a petronix electronic ignition module and a carbie off a xf falcon and she went like a cut cat. Must of been an early MK so was running 4 speed manual. I looked into the fuel injection side of things but the parts are becoming as rare as hens teeth. If you are sending it away for a freshen up crow do some angry cams for the L28 and if you free up the flow a tad it will respond! Good rig just need to ditch the steering set up and get some coils. Oh wait they call that a GQ!

MQ MAD
3rd June 2012, 10:55 AM
I had a MK L28 powered shorty added a petronix electronic ignition module and a carbie off a xf falcon and she went like a cut cat.

Take it ,it was the 2 barell weber carb of the XF ???
Keen to see the diference on such a minimal mod, what other things were done to fit it up,adaptor plates,(carb size difference)how was it mounted to the manifold ???
Ive got the standard 2 barell on my L28,doesnt have an issue seeing past 6K rpm

moose maverick
3rd June 2012, 03:49 PM
The adaptor plate was made to suit Cortina, when the truck arrived it was running points and original carbie. It was running rough and needed some love. I used to work for an engine builder for a little while and he put me on to it. It was quite difficult in my area to find someone that could rebuild and tune a carbie well so it seemed easier to go to the wreckers and scrounge up the bits . By the time the work was completed the motor was miles ahead of where it was. The truck was moved on shortly after as it began developing various issues the coolant galleries in the back of the head had corroded out and the heater box was beginning to leak where the feed and return pipes went through the fire wall. I have a GQ also and couldnt afford to keep throwing money at it so I got rid of it. I also cut the canopy off it and put a wall behind the seats with a canvas back on it so it was a tuff little ute. Awesome bush basher !

GQ TANK
5th June 2012, 08:19 PM
I have installed a RB30S (GQ carby 3 litre), very happy with the conversion.

May look at converting it to EFI latter on or stright gas

Be aware there are hidden costs for the conversion and a bit og wokr - BUT im very happy

aussiemale
6th June 2012, 06:30 PM
Is there much work involved in doing a conversion like yours tank? Obviously I want to get the most out of my L28 but would prefer if it's just a bolt on remedy as don't have much of a clue mech wise.