PDA

View Full Version : 15" rims on 2006 GU... offset?

Ezzy
24th May 2012, 07:22 PM
Hi folks, first post so please bear with me.

i have a GU running stock 17" alloys that i want to ditch for a set of 15x8" steelies. i've been told that to get 15's top fit i need offset rims, according to my local 4x4 shop, 23 degrees negative offset.....

which means nothing to me. what are offset rims, and what does he mean by 23 degrees negative? sorry if its a silly question but all my 4x4's in the past i've had 16" or 15" rims and never swapped rims around.

MudRunnerTD
24th May 2012, 08:02 PM
Hey Ezzy, I'd be looking for 16 inch rims mate, there is no need to go down to a 15.

A 16x8 with a Negative 13 offset wil be perfect mate. I run a neg6 and it is perfect and neg 13 would put your tyres right on the edge of your flares on a GUIV. Neg 22 will probably see you needing a rubber flare extension which would look crap and not needed.

Hope that helps

Cheers MR

Morton
24th May 2012, 09:25 PM
Ezzy, my understanding of rims is you are allowed to go 25mm or 1" up or down a size (16" or 18" rims) as well as 25mm or 1" offset positive or negative, after that you are technically not legal on the road if the RAM (RTA) want to pick on you, negative & positive offset means where the rim sits in relation to the axle end, negative makes the rim stick out further, positive means the rim sits in under the truck more, your reason for fitting 15" rims maybe due to the cost between 15" & 16" steel rims thus tyres, in some cases nearly double new in the box, you are better off with 16" rims as they will clear the callipers & get 13mm negative offset, as stated by Mudrunner this will keep it to a total 25-26mm offset & stay within the gaurds, you are allowed to widen your wheel track by 25mm thus you are legal, after that you are supposed to be engineered & it puts tremendous stress on the bearings, there are plenty of original standard GU steel rims out there, I opted for the negative 13mm offset due to insurance reasons, some Insurance companies first look for a snorkel & most go straight to your tyres, if they are not legal your claim will be null & void, some Insurance companies dont cover a vehicle if it is fitted with a snorkel, be very careful with your Insurance, I can only assume yours is a 2004 GU or earlier to be fitted with 17" rims so I would assume you are insured

nissannewby
25th May 2012, 12:38 AM
16's arent to badly priced i bought a set of 16x8 neg13 for 55 a rim have since put some nice alloys on in a 16x8 also im pretty sure in the same offset and these were only 225 each

Ezzy
27th May 2012, 08:56 PM
hi all,
after all the hoo ha, i decided to keep the original 17" rims for now and threw a set of 285/70/17 hankook muddies on it. next time around i'll get 16's but for now im sticking with the stock rims.

JohnoCass
4th June 2012, 12:13 AM
with the offset it is where the center of the rim sits to where the hub is. i would go for a 16 rim. still cheap at tyres are in mm sizes ie 285 305 or like mine 315 witch is 35 in the 15 inch rims.
plus if you go for an alloy rim you will have to go 16 coz 15 dont clear callipers