PDA

View Full Version : GU 2.8 front crank bolt tension?

the ferret
4th October 2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys, does any one know the tension for the crank bolt at the harmonic balancer on the td 2.8 diesel?

Chops
4th October 2010, 04:47 PM
This should help you out Ferret.

the ferret
4th October 2010, 09:07 PM
Thankyou ever so much, but I was after the tension for the td 2.8, the pdf is showing the sd33, sorry ta be a pain!!

Chops
4th October 2010, 09:30 PM
No this is actually the TD 2.8 indicated by the TD in the box at the top right of the page. This page was taken from the GU Service Manual.

Edit: I got it from this Service Manual List. Dont bother clicking on anything, its only a screenshot of the Manual Index Page.

the ferret
4th October 2010, 09:37 PM
Nah, they must have the wrong page, unless I'm doing something wrong.
The 2.8 diesel has a 14mm bolt and a flat washer, whereas the pic shows a nut and a cone as on the sd33s? again my apologies if I'm missing something here!!

Chops
4th October 2010, 10:04 PM
I have a feeling that may have been the 4.2, not the 2.8. Though it definitely is the TD model. I could of sworn it was the TD2.8 page I was looking at.

Check this picture out and see if it looks familiar. The last thing I want to do is give wrong information.
This Service Data page is taken from the same manual, so I'm assuming 2.826 is the correct displacement.

the ferret
4th October 2010, 10:21 PM
Yep, EM-46 is the correct page, that is the GU 2.8. with the bolt and flat washer. The other one is the sd33 series, with the cone and the nut.
Thankyou very much for taking the time and trouble to help me out

the ferret
4th October 2010, 10:27 PM
I have a feeling that may have been the 4.2, not the 2.8. Though it definitely is the TD model. I could of sworn it was the TD2.8 page I was looking at.

Check this picture out and see if it looks familiar. The last thing I want to do is give wrong information.
This Service Data page is taken from the same manual, so I'm assuming 2.826 is the correct displacement.

Yeah I think that is the 4.2 with 7 mains, the sd33 has 5, cheers.

Chops
4th October 2010, 10:29 PM
The other one is the sd33 series, with the cone and the nut.

No problems, happy to help, glad I got the right page, however NONE of these were the SD series, as they are all taken from the GU Service Manual. The Service_Manual_List PDF document above shows where these pages came from.

the ferret
4th October 2010, 10:53 PM
Yep thanks again, my bad, it looks so much like the 33, but I knew it wasn't the 2.8, I'm in the picture now tho Cheers for your help.

the ferret
11th October 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for your help Guys, all done and no oil leak and no bent valves. and thanks Nizzbits,......... again!

Chops
11th October 2010, 11:15 PM
Gotta love the no oil leaks.

planesailing
19th October 2010, 01:14 PM
Can anyone tell me the bolt size of the crank bolt on 2.8? I have to buy the socket to fit to remove the harmonic balancer.
I really dont wanna stuff the bolt. I have a 27mm socket but it seems abit loose. (maybe my paranoa). thanx in advance. Paul.

the ferret
19th October 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi mate, I used a 1/ 1/16" AF, perfect. Best to make up a puller for the harmonic, and one for the belt drive if you are doing the seal. don't forget to remove the inner key when pulling the gear.

planesailing
19th October 2010, 03:25 PM
thanx, i used af and it worked fine. the timing belt gear on the crank came off pretty easy by hand. just got the oil pump out to replace gasket, now the fun of re-assembly begins. Paul.

the ferret
19th October 2010, 03:54 PM
Change the tensioner and idler while you're at it, loctite the crank bolt,tensioner nut and idler bolt.,It's always a good idea to fit a new crank bolt too and clean the old loctite out of the crank.

Woof
19th October 2010, 07:24 PM
thanx, i used af and it worked fine. the timing belt gear on the crank came off pretty easy by hand. just got the oil pump out to replace gasket, now the fun of re-assembly begins. Paul.

Hey Paul, please don't forget your Introduction please, go here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions