PDA

View Full Version : IN need of new tyres but what to get ??

avdwhans
21st May 2012, 05:10 PM
i have a 2006 4.2 patrol wife's car mostly run on road during the week ,has set of 275x65x17 Bridgestones on it now that were on it when i got it 3 years ago but need changing badly now was looking at the BFG's
anyone have any thought what to put on ??

macca86
21st May 2012, 05:24 PM
If you don't get off road much and not doing hard tracks stay with an all terrain like bfg or coopers st or Micky T's atz 4rib all get good km and perform well.

welcome to the forum. You should really do an introduction first before asking questions it's polite tell us about yourself your rig and future plans then get stuck into all the info and chat to and meet all the people on here

jimmyz
21st May 2012, 05:32 PM
Hi avdwhans and welcome
I have used BFG and found the A/T's to be a good alround tyre.
Just remember to rotate every 10,000km
They have a 3 ply side wall which is good for when you are droping tyre pressure for sand and long unsealed outback roads.

Jimmy

avdwhans
21st May 2012, 06:02 PM
what are they like in the wet thats my only concern ?

growler2058
21st May 2012, 06:09 PM
i have a 2006 4.2 patrol wife's car mostly run on road during the week ,has set of 275x65x17 Bridgestones on it now that were on it when i got it 3 years ago but need changing badly now was looking at the BFG's
anyone have any thought what to put on ??

Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. Jump over to the intros mate and say gday something we ask all members to do before asking questions

macca86
21st May 2012, 06:47 PM
wet roads or mud? on road I have bfg at's they are pretty good in sand on road wet and dry but rubbish through mud and bog holes also they chip and wear fast on rock If I were to get an at tyre again I'd give the MT atz'a a go.
But I shall be getting a mud tyre next

Rusty86
21st May 2012, 07:49 PM
I run Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-rib and I haven't done much in mud, but they perform very well on road and especially in the wet. There was an old set of BFG all terrains on the car when I bought it and I know they were old, but I much prefer the ATZ's. They are also very aggressive (maybe most aggressive) for an all terrain tyre.

If you are going to do fairly regular off roading though, many of the mud terrain tyres perform well on road and will kill it off road.

Like Macca86 I'll be looking at muddies for my next tyres, probably Kumho KL71s

Cheers

NissanGQ4.2
21st May 2012, 08:04 PM

I have had BFG's A/T's on for a few years now and I am very happy with them in the wet, I travel a steep downhill road daily that claims many cars in the wet, I have never had drama's with them.

When I had BFG muddy's on I lost it going down the same road in the wet, but in all fairness 2 the muddies, the road I travel is notorious for oil slicks and accidents

Don't forget 2 post up that intro.

Cheers

Todd

BearGUST
22nd May 2012, 12:05 PM
The bloke at the tyre shop I went to said he was reluctant to sell me mud tyres as they are generally no good on wet roads, I went with the BFG A/T's and am rapt with them!
On the road they are great, and everywhere I've been off road they have been fantastic - I prefer steep, rocky stuff to muddy bogoles though.
I've just got back from the Vic High Country where mine was one of only two cars (out of 15) to have A/T's - we both got through stuff that some with muddy's didn't get through...
I should mention though, they were both Mighty Patrols!

avdwhans
23rd May 2012, 10:16 AM
So still in delemer got price for BFGs 275x65x17 $350 cant seem to get any coopers in that size don't know if I should change tyre size and what to if so?
Or would I be better of getting set of 16in rims for it ?

avdwhans
23rd May 2012, 05:36 PM
So I got a price from jax at narellan friend owns it for the BFG AT 275x65x17$335 fitted
Or I can go for the coopers AT3 275x70x17 for $340
Now to choose what to go for
Question I have what difference will the profile on them make ?

wildgu6
23rd May 2012, 05:56 PM
Hey buddy, got BFGs on mine,
AT/ KOs and love em, tough in the bush, don't get me wrong they're not muddies but haven't tackled anything yet, for my Trols capabilities that it hasn't conquered and they are great on the black top, no road noise and they get driven on every day for work and they wear well too, had on for 12 months now and still got another couple of years left on them. Well worth the $$$ spent

Yappa Tappa Doo

avdwhans
23rd May 2012, 06:00 PM
What size u running ?
Is it worth going up in profile ?