PDA

View Full Version : Muddys

benno
20th May 2012, 07:53 PM
Howdy Guys & Girls,

Thinking about fitting a set of Muddys to my GQ wondering what you guys thought was the Ducks Nuts at the moment and why????

Look forward to the repleys, I'm thinkink about 3 different brands and can't make the mind up, talk to you soon.

Cheers Tony.

AB
20th May 2012, 07:58 PM
Hi Tony, depends really on how much mud versus on road use you think they will use.

If your 80% on road and 20% offroad then you should go some BF muddys or similar pattern. If your going to use them purely for offroad then my choice which will be coming soon would be Simex Centipedes.

Problem being they will run down fast on the road so depends on your situation mate.

EDIT: WHY.....Because they just grab like claws...lol

nissannewby
20th May 2012, 11:01 PM
I have BFG KM2's on my GU and they are awesome have hardly taken the edge of them in nearly 20k km of driving they handle awesome on dry and wet bitumen arent annoyingly loud like some muddys and go awesome offroad i am very pleased at having spent the extra dollars for these tyres they are top quality and hard wearing :):)

Rusty86
20th May 2012, 11:17 PM
A lot of guys have had very good experiences with Kumho KL71 MT which have out performed most others muddies on road and in the wet and are very good off road. They are a directional tyre though. I would personally look at the Kumhos, Mickey Thompson MTZ or BFG MT.

I'm talking only from the research I've done (I run MT ATZ), others will have other comments from experince.

Cheers :)

megatexture
21st May 2012, 01:11 AM
micky mtz here love them and will be gettin another set once done with these ones for sure they arnt to loud also. but like ab said if it was for offroad only id love a set of simex

benno
21st May 2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks AB,

Don't know those ones, I'll have to google and have a look.

Setting up more of a camping come fairly heavy 4WD vehicle, so may not be as full on as some of you guys, I plan to get out there a fair bit getting it dirty.

Cheers Tony.

benno
21st May 2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks nissannewby,

BFG were one on my list, but I'm into options before I lay down the big bucks.

benno
21st May 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks Rusty86.

I have Kumho AT on at the moment, the are a good allrounders at the right price. I will google the KL71 MT and have a look, but after allot of thought I'm definitely willing to spend the big bucks on a good set of tyres, so I'm open to anything.

Cheers Tony.

benno
21st May 2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks megatexture,

They were definitley on my list,

Cheers Tony.

growler2058
21st May 2012, 07:30 PM
Ive got MTZ's and wife also on her prado love em great in the mud look tuff and do the job well on the blacktop as well

benno
21st May 2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks growlers 71gq,

They are one at the top of my list, it's just really good getting everybodys opinion.

Cheers Tony.

nissannewby
21st May 2012, 09:08 PM
I did a fair bit of research before i bought the bfg's i also own MTZ's which go on the GQ and are an awesome tyre but dont quite last as long. All the reading i did i found on average the MTZ's were getting around the 60k mark and The bfgs were averaging around the 80k mark. In the size i wanted i think there was only $30 difference per tyre between the MT and the BFG. Whichever way you go you certainly wont be disappointed with either of these tyres they are both proven and top performers.

growler2058
21st May 2012, 09:12 PM
No matter what muddy ya end up with make sure you rotate em regularly (any tyre we spend our hard earned on) i do mine every 5k and rotate the spare as well

benno
22nd May 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks nissannewby,

They are definitely 2 I'm looking at and interesting info.

Cheers Tony.

benno
22nd May 2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks growlers71gq,

My thoughts totally, they are a fairly chunky investment

megatexture
22nd May 2012, 07:39 PM
my 33" MTZ's weigh more then a mates 35" bighorns they are a solid tyre and mine are lasting very well.
you cant hear them over the car its only when you decelerate that you hear them.

maxblack
22nd May 2012, 08:33 PM
I couldn't quite go the muddies, but I'm getting 6 x 16X8 inch steelies with MT ATZ 4 Ribs on Thurs....quite the investment, I hope I made the right choice ;)

megatexture
22nd May 2012, 09:02 PM
just keep up with rotations and you should get good life out of them .

maxblack
22nd May 2012, 09:09 PM
just keep up with rotations and you should get good life out of them .

Yes I'll be rotating every 10,000km....spares to front, front to diagonal rear, rears to spares.

Sound right?

Tymeup
23rd May 2012, 12:09 AM
BF K2's.............Great. Wouldn't have anything else. Went around Australia on the K1's, never had a puncture. The ones on now have been to the Cape twice and not a drama. 15 000k's and hardly warn. Had a set of BF AT's once, got 80 000K's out of em so never saw the point in going with AT's when you get the same amount of K's out of the BF Muddies. They are a great tyre. Apparently one thing to look for is to insure they are made in the US as, Apparently, they are also made elsewhere and they just don't stand up. I don't know if there is any truth to this though.

Ty.

Rusty86
23rd May 2012, 12:19 AM
I couldn't quite go the muddies, but I'm getting 6 x 16X8 inch steelies with MT ATZ 4 Ribs on Thurs....quite the investment, I hope I made the right choice ;)

Yes you have they are a great tyre you'll sure be able to hold your own off road

Bad-Trol
23rd May 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm running the MTZ's in 33" and LOVE EM!!! Great in sand, mud, over rocks, and great on the road. I abuse the hell out of mine and after 20,000k's, no punctures. Mickey makes a great tyre, and if I didn have them, would have gone BFG MT's.... But these looked better ;)

benno
23rd May 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks megatexture,

They are on my short list.

Cheers Tony

benno
23rd May 2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Tymeup,

useful info.

Cheers Tony

Bad-Trol
23rd May 2012, 10:39 PM
I'm running the MTZ's in 33" and LOVE EM!!! Great in sand, mud, over rocks, and great on the road. I abuse the hell out of mine and after 20,000k's, no punctures. Mickey makes a great tyre, and if I didn have them, would have gone BFG MT's.... But these looked better ;)

Bad-Trol
25th May 2012, 08:28 AM

Don't know why that double posted... Sorry