PDA

View Full Version : GU 2.8 gearbox issue-or not?

gbab01
19th May 2012, 10:58 PM
Hi all. As we all know the 2.8 GU has a little issue with power on take off. As a result I use low range to reverse out of my sweeping thin dirt steep driveway (or ride the clutch which I don't like doing). I have noticed a few times when after changing out of low range that after about 300 metres I hear like a whirring meshing sound, followed by a clunk which a couple of times has been fairly savage (I have started reversing about 5 metres in normal range after changing out of low to try and stop this but it still did it today). Sounds like it is coming from the gearbox. The first time It happend I thought I was dragging a tree branch under the car. I am thinking that I am not fully engaging into normal range and this is causing the issue but I think I am doing things correctly. I have the occasional refusal to come out of low without a bit of work but I think we all have that at some time. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.

wildgu6
20th May 2012, 12:00 AM
Can't give you an answer matey but have had same prob occasionally with my 2.8 GU and this is weeks or months after being in 4x4, look forward to any other responses?

Yappa Tappa Doo