PDA

View Full Version : Stanthorpe june long weekend

macca86
19th May 2012, 11:54 AM
Hi lads long weekend in june I want to go hunting first 5 people more than welcome to join. 3 places to shoot on 1 to camp on in a hut out the back 2x 600 1x 1500acre properties good fun let me know if you want to come along experience or rifle not necessary.

If you have anywhere else to shoot with more pig or deer I'd be willing to travel 6 hrs out of brisbane.

hekarewe
19th May 2012, 01:19 PM
Macca how far out of stanthorp is the properties???? when are you heading out and what ever other info you might have for me as i am interested to go on this one if i can.

let me kn ow bud ok and of cause is there a lot of game there??????

macca86
19th May 2012, 04:18 PM
Warrick is 600 acres next door to the springs roo'snsaw one pig and maybe dogs if the bait program hasn't gone through. Mt tullly 5 mins from stanthorpe town 600 acres rabbits roo's maybe some foxes chasing the rabbits. glen aplin about 15 20 mins from stanthorpe town 1500 acres pigs and the odd deer no roo's as they raise injured animals there.

hekarewe
19th May 2012, 05:28 PM
at this stage count me in for the long weekend,,, would like to head out friday night after work max the weekend lol but unfortunatly my hours variy day to day so will need some good directions or meet somewhere when i knock off.

Silver
20th May 2012, 06:50 AM
G'day Macca,

I'm keen for the long week-end.

Just back last night from that trip to Wandibindle that I spoke of last time we met. We saw heaps of pigs - over 100 in the week we were there, between 4 blokes and two vehicles. got 14 between the 4 of us, to which tally I made the smallest contribution :-) I need to practice my crossing shots!

Mate who organised the trip broke a long drought, and got 3 good si2ed boars. These boars have grown big for their age, based on tusk si2e. That is, they were about 4 feet long, but the tusks were smaller than the one I took that grew up more slowly during the drought.

Rowan, the owner, advised that the pigs are travelling through Wandibindle, and not resident, and based on what we saw, that seems right - we only saw one mob twice in the same place, that were possibly watering and feeding on Wandibindle, but spending a fair bit of time next door.

Wandibindle is East of St George, and 30ks East of Nindigully pub :-), so its within your distance guidelines. It is a self guided pay to play place, price varying depending on accomodation. It has a website that provided more info. http://www.designs4u.com.au/wandibindle/

We saw a couple of large stationary mobs - one had more than 20 in it. Rowan's advice was that the first of these mobs with 20+ in it, just milled around rather than heading off rapidly for the timberline, was because they had not encountered hunters previously. Certainly the other mobs, or solitary boars, were with one other exception, all on the move when we saw them.

macca86
20th May 2012, 10:00 AM
That place looks great 80 a night for the quaters seems pretty good too. Great pig numbers I would go to that if it's not booked out. Might have to see if I can arrange it for the weekend or a future trip. Adrian I'll pm you addresses once I get them I don't know them just how to get there haha shocking I know

hekarewe
30th May 2012, 07:01 PM
Macca is this trip still on for the long weekend???? and will there be a facilities for to zero a rifle on the property?????

macca86
31st May 2012, 04:09 PM
Hi all the trip is still on for the long weekend I have been busy with wedding stuff ao haven't been online much. I shall PM you details and addresses and anyone else who wants to come is more than welcome. As for zeroing in a scope there is plenty of flat ground we could set some targets up but would have to measure the distance.
a rough address http://maps.google.com.au/maps?rlz=1T4RNRM_enAU431AU431&q=glen+aplin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=EhHHT4XWAbHBiQes6PnSDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CFYQ_AUoAg mount stirling road right at the end. 1500 acres and a quarters with shower toilet fridge and cooking available.
When would you be able to travel can go together or in convoy or meet up there I was thinking of leaving sat morning

hekarewe
31st May 2012, 07:43 PM
i was thinking leaving after work but saturday mornings good to get away early so we can make the most of the weekend

macca86
31st May 2012, 08:30 PM
saturday is best for me as my cousin and auntie arrive from scotland on friday so sat early how early? 6am or earlier or later I'm easy and cheap haha

Silver
31st May 2012, 10:12 PM
Off to Ripley this Sat am unless it is hissing down. I aim to get there by 9:00 but usually get there by 10:00 ish.

What is the traffic like heading to Glen Aplin on a long weekend? Put another way, is there a best time, or a least worse time :-)

Macca, have you been made an honest man yet?? :-) Or is this trip a pre nuptial adventure?

macca86
1st June 2012, 06:43 AM
Off to Ripley this Sat am unless it is hissing down. I aim to get there by 9:00 but usually get there by 10:00 ish.

What is the traffic like heading to Glen Aplin on a long weekend? Put another way, is there a best time, or a least worse time :-)

Macca, have you been made an honest man yet?? :-) Or is this trip a pre nuptial adventure?

Pre nuptial adventure I get married on the 30th of this month scary stuff haha lucky to be getting away if you ask me the missus is starting to get stressed. I'd love to hit the range on sat but have to be at the wedding venue doing seating plans and arrangements and other gay stuff like cleaning for the overseas guests. The bloke who owns it says there's pigs about he hasn't seena deer for 3 weeks though so they may have moved on I'll have final details this weekend for you silver if you can make it

Silver
1st June 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Macca,

I'm a bit more creaky in the joints, ok slow and steady on foot but no good bounding over fences. Have spousely approval, and am keen.

I'm ama2ed you are able to get out and about with the wedding imminent :-)

hekarewe
1st June 2012, 03:00 PM
lets make it an early start on saturday and i take it that its on rain hail n shine

macca86
1st June 2012, 04:08 PM
ok leaving on saturday rain hail shine or the arrival of the 4 horsemen at say 5.30am from torq4x4 or the servo just up from them to fuel up and head off. What you need to bring food booze and bedding there is only one room with a double bed but there's floor space to do a air mattress or sleep on the floor you guys can fight over the bed if you want. there's 3 dams to set up over 4 open fields to ambush things running across it and a swamp up the front to wait on. mostly flat ground some hills and dense bush but plenty of clearings. I am not so agile after my back injury so can only walk in 10 to 20min bursts before I need a sit down. It will be cold out there so jumpers and that are needed I shall pm and text you the address tomorrow

Silver
1st June 2012, 05:03 PM
pm sent, I'm excited!!

nissannewby
1st June 2012, 07:06 PM
Hey mate we were out at the springs 3 weeks ago and they had baits around there property hope those helps

macca86
1st June 2012, 07:43 PM
Hey mate we were out at the springs 3 weeks ago and they had baits around there property hope those helps

hi mate the property next door the one with all the fire damage is a family friends property and they were baited too for dogs they seem to have left the place shame though as they're worth 200 a scalp could have made money on a shooting trip rather than spend it!

Silver
12th June 2012, 01:48 PM
well, I'll leave it to Macca 86 and Hekarwe to post a report, as they saw more action but I had a great weekend with excellent company.

I didn't get out as much as Macca and Hekarwe, but saw promising sign.

The single time I pulled the trigger, the shot went exactly where I was aiming - which was a sighting target to confirm all was well with my outfit when we arrived. :-)

Thanks again Macca86 and Hekarwe!

hekarewe
12th June 2012, 06:25 PM
as silver said great weekend!!! lots of sign of promising game but unfortunatly we did not see what we were looking for. Macca saw a few foxes on the last morning before we left but i woke up and heard rain so rolled over and went back to sleep so missed out :( had a look at the second property and did a little vermin eradrication for our hoste over all a fantastic weekend and great company and dam good food food and more food!!!

on a side note, being an older hunter it was great to be able gto pass on some of my knowledge to a younger hunter top weekend cant wait for the next one!!!!

AB
12th June 2012, 07:06 PM
Any photos gents...LMAO

Sounds like a cracker weekend, can't wait to head up your way in October!

hekarewe
12th June 2012, 08:55 PM
unfortunatly no photos for this trip sorry :(

Silver
12th June 2012, 10:06 PM
thanks to Hekarewe on this trip I lost my black pudding virginity :-)

I approached the somewhat dodgy looking article with some trepidation, but ..................... it was magnificent, and I'm hooked :-)

According to Macca86 there is a Scottish version which is more crumbly than the smooth European article Hekarwe provided - so I'll keep an eye out for that too.

macca86
13th June 2012, 08:50 AM
Hi lads It was a great weekend had a ball despite the lack of kills but as said it's more about the trip than the final destination. I enjoyed learning off some experienced hunters and shooters as I've only been in the game for 6 months. I just need to stop getting trigger fever when I line stuff up then shoot high or jerk it with anticipation.
There was some promising signs of pig about but must have been walking through also learnt what fresh and old stuff looks like. Possible deer prints next to a dam and saw one wild dog/dingo and 3 fox. Shot at on fox but missed as it was on the run got to excited and jamed up so couldn't have another shot and birds gave me away to the other two.
I am getting better though as before I'd only see signs of animals and not the animals themselves. Shall make for an interesting trip in about 6 weeks when the peas are planted and shooting up might bring the pig and deer in I look forward to another trip with these lads

Sir Roofy
13th June 2012, 10:14 AM
Hi lads It was a great weekend had a ball despite the lack of kills but as said it's more about the trip than the final destination. I enjoyed learning off some experienced hunters and shooters as I've only been in the game for 6 months. I just need to stop getting trigger fever when I line stuff up then shoot high or jerk it with anticipation.
There was some promising signs of pig about but must have been walking through also learnt what fresh and old stuff looks like. Possible deer prints next to a dam and saw one wild dog/dingo and 3 fox. Shot at on fox but missed as it was on the run got to excited and jamed up so couldn't have another shot and birds gave me away to the other two.
I am getting better though as before I'd only see signs of animals and not the animals themselves. Shall make for an interesting trip in about 6 weeks when the peas are planted and shooting up might bring the pig and deer in I look forward to another trip with these lads

wait till you get stag fever then youll know what its like
happy hunting mate identify your target before you sqeeze of a shot

macca86
14th June 2012, 05:42 PM

I don't think I'll be able to manage I'd be too excited and give myself away.

hekarewe
14th June 2012, 07:37 PM

christ Macca with stag fever or macca inhaling peru?????? not sure which would be worse LMAO would have to administer large volume of valium main line style and hope for a good out come ROFLMAO

macca86
14th June 2012, 07:40 PM
christ Macca with stag fever or macca inhaling peru?????? not sure which would be worse LMAO would have to administer large volume of valium main line style and hope for a good out come ROFLMAO

thanks for the vote of confidence! haha

hekarewe
14th June 2012, 07:48 PM
thanks for the vote of confidence! haha

LOLOL not a problem pal right behind you all the way crouching hedge leaping bush LOLOL

macca86
14th June 2012, 07:56 PM
haha right o then I'll need the practice thinking of getting a 30-06 for christmas prob another remmington but a vtr extreme weather for deer and pig and keep the 22/250 for stuff on the farm

hekarewe
14th June 2012, 08:05 PM
i do believe a 308 (7.62) will give you a bit more poke and better range wide choice of ammo type and crover a much broader veritity of game both medium to large to right rig set up and 308 is good out to 1000 meters not that you would have to shoot that far very often but thats the sort of flexability it give you there is a new rifle out in 308 called a scout which would be an excelent scrub gun peep hole sights standart and very short stocky rig would match up graet to a red dot style of scope for quick sighting on game in close country such as at the farm those red dot out fits allow you to shoot with both eyes open makes for a very quick unit bolt action 10 round mag detactable. just a thought :)

not that i am one side about my 308 howa at all lolol

Silver
14th June 2012, 08:29 PM
308, 7mm/08, 30/06 are all pretty popular - perhaps a bit less so with the '06 in Australia.

Just check you are ok with recoil and don't have a flinch if going down the '06 path. Do you know anyone who has one you can try?

While I have fired a couple of shots out of a .458 Win Mag and a .470 NE double, and lived to tell the tale, I like my 6.5x55 because it is very mild recoiling - mine has a plastic butt plate and I have no issues - makes second shots easier and stuff like that.

Yes, those scout style rifles do look interesting :-)

macca86
15th June 2012, 04:08 PM
This was a good read http://www.chuckhawks.com/myth_busting_calibers.htm but maybe a .338 win mag so you can win a rooster swinging contest with your mates haha. Mmm decisions .308 30/06 or .338 win mag not sure now. I'd love to be able to fire a cannon just for a laugh

hekarewe
16th June 2012, 09:14 AM
to day @ Aldi trail cams on sale they take pics and vids and look the goods went out early and got mine now just have to work out how to use it and get it out in the field

they are for sale @ $130.00 each and are at the front counter as they are a "high value item" so dont look for them,,,,, go strait to the cash register and ask for one "wildlife cam/ photo trap"

good luck guys

Silver
16th June 2012, 09:41 AM
yep, got one, and even managed to get it to work, I think :-)

There was a big queue at our local but they were after exercise gear, mostly

hekarewe
16th June 2012, 04:44 PM
same same this morning silly buggers after excersize crap LMAO i get enough of that jumping to conclusions and flying of the hand at work

hekarewe
17th June 2012, 06:49 PM
yep, got one, and even managed to get it to work, I think :-)

There was a big queue at our local but they were after exercise gear, mostly

set mine up in the back yard tonight,,,,,, see what local targets i get to night and tomorrow LOL could find that i am going to far away for game lolol

Silver
17th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Mate just bought one as a bit of security for remote area camping. Obviously won't help prevent theft, but might help tracking the culprits down.

Kid at local Aldi was a bit obstructive this arve when I want with a mate to get a camera for him. The Kid said 'I am pretty sure we have none left'. I said please check. He said, 'If we had any left they would be in the glass cabinet'. I said, 'They weren't there yesterday morning, they were in the office, please check.'

He said 'I am pretty sure we have none left' I said 'Please check' at which point the manager appeared. She confirmed they were in the office, and we were able to pick one up.

hekarewe
18th June 2012, 05:00 AM
little f(^(*&ker probbly wanted it for himself or hes a tree huggin greenie LOL good to persistance paid of.

willl be trying to get mine over to macca too set up on the farm while he is down there for the wedding seee what really is a round one of those dams of night time

Heathen
8th July 2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Guys, sounds like it was a great weekend. I'm jelious :D If you are planning another trip at some stage I'd definately be keen if there is room for one more.

To be honest, being out and about in the bush hunting is probably the only real thing I miss from NZ, well maybe the odd family member as well...lol

Is the process of getting a firearms licence here in Aus a drama? I left all of my firearms in NZ when we moved as I heard it was a hassle getting and keeping a licence here, and that semi auto's are prohibited. :animierte-smilies-f
I may have to look into getting a licence and shipping the 308 over. :smiley_thumbs_up:

hekarewe
9th July 2012, 07:53 PM
Hi Guys, sounds like it was a great weekend. I'm jelious :D If you are planning another trip at some stage I'd definately be keen if there is room for one more.

To be honest, being out and about in the bush hunting is probably the only real thing I miss from NZ, well maybe the odd family member as well...lol

Is the process of getting a firearms licence here in Aus a drama? I left all of my firearms in NZ when we moved as I heard it was a hassle getting and keeping a licence here, and that semi auto's are prohibited. :animierte-smilies-f
I may have to look into getting a licence and shipping the 308 over. :smiley_thumbs_up:

getting a license isn't that hard

Heathen
9th July 2012, 08:37 PM
I'm just looking into it at the moment but I have a few semi autos which may present a problem. Might have to join a target club first i think?

macca86
11th July 2012, 02:03 AM
I'm just looking into it at the moment but I have a few semi autos which may present a problem. Might have to join a target club first i think?

You won't get to keep any semi autos or silenced barrels here in Aus or pump actions shot guns. Here you will need to do a safety course then apply at a police station and wait. It took me 6 months to get mine. check out http://www.ssaa.org.au/ for info

hekarewe
11th July 2012, 08:23 PM
how did the trail cam work out get any pics of interest????

Silver
11th July 2012, 09:19 PM
yep, rabbits and sheep.

I think that the overnight temps may have influenced the batteries and therefor the flash a bit. Some movies were a bit dark.

I'll be very interested to compare it with the mate's one. The mate's one was used in an easier location, and sometimes only produced eye shine too. Won't be able to compare for a couple of months.

Cousin has another brand, twice the price from USA. Went in on a bulk buy with a few mates. Note, not the Aldi one, All work OK, except no internal screen, and for one, that on cold nights - read -11 and lower, it takes photo after photo. Speculation is that the sensor gets confused.

Heathen
11th July 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks Macca86, I'm just about to join the SSAA and already have an NZ licence so I think I can just apply for an AUS licence without doing a safety course...There is a range just down the road from me on old cleveland rd so hopefully they will have a spot to zero in.

Once thats done I'll ship the bolt actions over.....

Will have to leave and a couple other back in NZ....such a shame!