PDA

View Full Version : loose nuts

Stropp
16th May 2012, 05:18 PM
says it all doesnt it?? well anyway, i have put some 33's and alloy rims on and the other day i could hear a clunking noise so checked the wheels and sure enough the nuts were loose, retensioned them drove home and guess what, loose again???? wtf over tightened them and then went for a drive and they seems they are ok but need to get a few more k's up to be sure, has anyone else had problems??

AB
16th May 2012, 05:21 PM
Yep, people sure have mate...

Have a read of the below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5035-WARNING-Genuine-Nissan-Rims-are-becoming-a-HAZARD!&highlight=rims+hazard

Yendor
16th May 2012, 05:41 PM
Are you using the correct wheels nuts for your new alloys?

Stropp
16th May 2012, 06:25 PM
well i purchased the wheel nuts from the tyre shop and they look correct, both nut and rim have flare at the bottom so i would assume they are correct, i did purchase the nuts after the rims because the dodgy bloke i got the rims from had different nuts on each rim, i took the rim in to get the nuts so i would expect them to be right. They are aftermarket rims not nissan ones.

Yendor
16th May 2012, 06:50 PM
It's hard to say without looking at the rims and nuts.

When I purchased my aftermarket alloys you could see the taper on the rims was different to the taper on the genuine Nissan alloy wheel nuts.

I had to purchase different wheel nuts.

Stropp
16th May 2012, 07:06 PM
its only the front right one thats lost its tightness on the nuts and only the locknut on the other front everything else is ok ??

megatexture
16th May 2012, 07:08 PM
ive had issues with steel rims and alloy even though i torque it to nissan spec and check it again after a few k's lucky you were on bitumen as offroad you might not have hear the clunking till it's to late as the nuts chew out the rims when they get loose as you can see from my post on the thread ab posted comment #29

Stropp
16th May 2012, 08:27 PM
Yeh heard it on the bitumen but we had been 4wd ing the day before lucky I think specially as they came loose again in a 3 k drive.

TimE
16th May 2012, 08:38 PM
Nissan are ever so helpful, though not admitting there is a problem with alloy wheels having a life of their own, they have gone to the trouble of doing a video so you don't loose your nuts :1087:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kj4rSRbA67A

Stropp
16th May 2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks that, about the way I done them except for I have no indicators.

Finly Owner
16th May 2012, 11:10 PM
Dothe nuts feel firm on thr threads as you spinninning them on by fingers? Ifit's wiggly on thread, you my have stripped Studs. This can happen if a impact wrench is left spinning nuts ofbut the nut is not pulled away as soon as it is undone. Running nuts on threads with impact guns can cause damage.

Tim

megatexture
17th May 2012, 12:00 AM
they only help when you look at them... kinda a waste of time

Stropp
17th May 2012, 06:19 PM
when i took the old wheels off i had to use an extension bar to undo the nut, they were really tight :( the threads feel ok not stripped, i have done a fair bit of my own mechanical work so i have a decent knowledge of what feels right, i just have never had the wheel nuts come loose within 3 k's of tightening them, maybe i need to get the breaker bar onto them so they are real tight.

Finly Owner
18th May 2012, 11:40 PM
when i took the old wheels off i had to use an extension bar to undo the nut, they were really tight :( the threads feel ok not stripped, i have done a fair bit of my own mechanical work so i have a decent knowledge of what feels right, i just have never had the wheel nuts come loose within 3 k's of tightening them, maybe i need to get the breaker bar onto them so they are real tight.
Over tightening with bars like that on fine threads are not doing the studs/nuts any good. I suggest you buy one new wheel stud and check each nut from the problem wheel on it. Checking for good free spinning on, no play or tight spots. If you do have a problem with any nut, you know which ones to replace. If you have no problems with nuts, the recheck studs.

Tim

megatexture
18th May 2012, 11:55 PM
i have gotten my gu back from Nissan and when swapping to my off-road tyres one of the nuts was real tight and using a xbrace i twisted off the stud and nut in one go and i didn’t even have to apply a lot of force. if there’s any one thing i have little faith in on a gu its the studs/nuts

Stropp
19th May 2012, 12:39 PM
ok i have jacked the car up and recentered the wheel and tightened the nuts and gone for a drive and it all looks good now, didnt overtighten them but have just checked each time i went out and they are still tight so maybe have solved the drama by just tensioning and going for a drive and retensioning the nuts, thaks to all who gave advice. cheers

megatexture
19th May 2012, 12:44 PM
get some red pen/ paint or your preferd colour and mark them so you dont have to check ea time you can just look at the marking or im sure nissan will happily rip you off for some indicators

mudski
19th May 2012, 02:00 PM
I can't say for cars but I know with trucks that use alloy 10stud wheels the nuts have to be tightened to a certain tension using a tension wrench. Otherwise they will just come loose. Maybe worth checking out if they needed to be done up to a certain spec. My guess being alloy, they would be.
Plus with the nuts used for these alloy truck wheels have a washer joined to the nut (that spins freely on the nut ), so you don't damage the alloy when tightening...

megatexture
19th May 2012, 10:19 PM
Plus with the nuts used for these alloy truck wheels have a washer joined to the nut (that spins freely on the nut ), so you don't damage the alloy when tightening...

this sort of stuff would be to technical for nissan to get there head around but Recommended torque

118 - 147 Nm or 87 - 107 Ft /lbs from nissan, it may be in that video if you can stay awake watching it.

mudski
21st May 2012, 06:28 PM
Using tapered nuts would be the issue I'm guessing. Everytime the tapered nuts are tightened they squash into the soft alloy and eventually loosen. Thats why trucks used nuts with spinning washers attached to them so they don't damage the alloy. If these type of nuts are used by Nissan I'm all out of idea's.

megatexture
21st May 2012, 07:23 PM
the rims are taperd though not flat so the washer wouldnt sit right on genuine alloys anyway

mudski
21st May 2012, 09:22 PM
Hmm, bad design I reckon then. I bet if the holes weren't tapered and the right nuts used this would not be an issue at all.