PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a new steering damper to my GU

Bazhemps
15th May 2012, 04:14 PM
:1087:Hi All,
Went to fit a new steering damper to my GU Patrol. When I undid the holding nuts on the old ones the shafts would not come loose from their holes. Before belting the begeezes out of the threads and stuffing everthing up, is there any easy way to remove them? Maybe heat?
Thanks,
Bazhemps

BearGUST
15th May 2012, 04:43 PM
Two tips:

-You actually should be hitting the part which the stud goes through, in your case you should hit the drag link & panhard rod. This pic isn't of a steering damper but should give you the idea:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t164/gordy308/Capture-2.jpg
Hit where the arrow points to, you actually shock the stud loose rather than smashing it out like you've done.

-Loosen the nuts off but dont remove them, that way the nut protects the thread.

Do that with all similar studs, such as tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

Bazhemps
21st May 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi BearGUST,
Had time on the weekend to revisit the steering damper installation, I didn't do too much damage to the threads on the first attempt but gave up in disgust hence the request for information. I used your method this time and the shafts freed up easily. Thank you for your advice as my Old Man used to say "You learn something new every day" works a treat.
Regards,
Baz

BearGUST
22nd May 2012, 12:20 PM
No worries Baz, glad I could help. That's what these forums are all about!