PDA

View Full Version : 08-09 CRD any good towing. Opinions.

Dark 1
2nd October 2010, 08:43 AM
Thinking of trading up my "99" Td42t Gu to a 08-09 common rail. Main concern of the td42t is overheating problems when towing big loads. We are planning on semi-retiring in the next 12ish months & can't afford a brand newie. We will be towing approx 3.2 tonne of van & gear & have been told the crd is strong enough & economical.
Any opinions would be appreciated. I've been told most of my current acc will fit the newer model as well.:1087:

Thanks, Kelvin.

Maxhead
2nd October 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't tow big loads like that but plenty of people do. From what I read people upgrade to a chip and a exhaust .
EGT gauge will be a must to monitor the exhaust temps past turbo. ScanGauge is handy as well as it will give you boost, temp, fuel consumption, TPS and lots of other readings from the ECU.

Driving style will have to change as well to keep it all moving(especially coming from a 4.2) as the CRD have a noticeable boost protection control and can feel like you loose all power momentarily especially towing uphill. As I said it's more of driving style adjustment. Keeping the revs up and driving through the gears works for me and don't notice this power cut-off. If you drive in auto and plant your foot to the ground you will notice this cut-off.
Do not use overdrive when towing either so just keep it in 4th.

Max I tow is 1T and hardly notice it on the back of a '08 model(no chip,exhaust). Consumption is around 14.5l/100 when towing, but I have seen some consumptions from others a lot higher and for others a lot lower. They seem to vary on the CRD

Good luck