PDA

View Full Version : 16"/17" ???

pheasantplucker
13th May 2012, 06:06 PM
Hi all,
I have got a question for the experts.. I,ve got a 2011 GU patrol with 17" rims. I have been trying to find an extra 17" rim to use as a second spare for upcoming trip, however these are very expensive and outside my budget. i can get my hands on a 16 " steel rim for small money and would like to know.....A) will a 16 inch steel rim fit over the inner hub/brake drum on my car.

My other question is... if i have to use the 16" wheel in emergency, how will this impact my car/driving when the other 3 wheels are 17".

would appreciate any help

Thanks

Brian

nissannewby
13th May 2012, 11:12 PM
They should fit but the best way to find out is to get someone you know with them and do a trial fit. As for the ride you wont have an issue really as long as the tyre is the same size in overall diamter will be all sweet.

Grainger
15th May 2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Brian,

I also have a 2011 model and have just put on some 16" Mikey Thompson rims with 33's and have kept my 17" spare on the back, so yes they fit perfectly - about 3/4 inch gap
The dealer I bought the 16" rims from said it would make no difference at all to how the vehicle runs as long as you wern't doing serious off road for any length of time, I know some dealers will say anything to get your money but I was prepared to purchase a 5th rim & tyre to match but he said there was no need. (have I found one of a few honest guys?, I hope so).

Hope this helps. Good luck with your trip

pheasantplucker
24th May 2012, 11:19 PM
thanks for your help