PDA

View Full Version : Any Archers out there Hunting or Target

growler2058
13th May 2012, 04:35 PM
Howdy guys n gals.
Does anyone out there hunt or target shoot with a bow. I used to shoot with a martin Cougar 50-70lb compound bow. But got fat n lazy and stopped and sold it bummer. now im getting fit again i ewant to get back into archery. theres a place near me called Archery Park thats a scrub property with targets set up on different trails, from bunny size to buffalo size.
Soooo what to get do I try recurve back to the basics, i was shooting bare bow with the compound (ie no sights) was much more accurate. Whats peoples thoughts on the two. I dont think youre allowed to have crossbows any more i havent seen any advertised anyway. Did know a bloke with a 150lb compound crossbow years ago was very cool but as loud as a .22 i wont be in the market till July when back from holidays. Any fellow crow eaters into it and where do you go. Would love to have a go on pigs or goats down the track.

macca86
13th May 2012, 04:47 PM
hi mate never been in to bow hunting I am with rifles though. I believe you need a cat A licence to get a crossbow or air rifle these days.I heard bow hunting is the way to go for deer I wouldn't mind giving it a go

megatexture
13th May 2012, 04:50 PM
sounds like me.. only im not getting fit again haha just would love the time to get out more i don’t think you will need to get back to the basics itll come back prity quick. Nice weapon of choice same one i have haha i never really got into it seriously just shoot at anything that moved
and yea from what I’ve heard no x bows also

Tank
13th May 2012, 07:38 PM
I think the end dission all depends on what you want to do and your style. I go Bow hunting over here for deer (Red or fellow), goats and rabbits. For a laugh I tried pigs but that was a bit shall we say interesting and ended up with me having to stick 150lb of pissed of pig without ang dogs so I won't be tring that again. I don't use sights just the arrow and the string as sights get a bit of a hammering in the bush round here. My hunting bow is a 65lb compound and a friend of mine who makes trad bows (english long bows) has made me up a 15-20lb bow for target and giggles.

growler2058
13th May 2012, 07:55 PM
Ive just read a couple of articles about pissed pigs chasing people up trees hahahahahaha. I think i'll go the compound again for arrow speed and power. only ever took a couple of bunnys and a deer at a mates farm, not much challenge there though. What brand of bow do ya use?

Tank
13th May 2012, 08:41 PM
A cheap and nasty perfect line bow. After shooting some very expensive bows I decided that I was just as happy with a cheaper bow taking into mind the country that I hunt in(New Zealand Beach forest manly sub alpine, steep hills ect).

growler2058
13th May 2012, 08:44 PM
10+ years ago a mate had a browning compound bow. Once when he drew it back it snapped and smashed him in the face, was funny as......... the look he had didnt bleed him but a cracking bruise hahahahahahaha they shoulda stuck to firearms

macca86
13th May 2012, 08:48 PM
10+ years ago a mate had a browning compound bow. Once when he drew it back it snapped and smashed him in the face, was funny as......... the look he had didnt bleed him but a cracking bruise hahahahahahaha they shoulda stuck to firearms

even then I wouldn't use them. Remington or Winchester for me if buying american wouldn't mind a sako or tikka but I like the Remington look.

moose maverick
2nd June 2012, 01:34 AM
I also hunt with a Perfect line compound bow and have done so for the last 6 years on and off. No better feeling than stalking into the middle of a mob of goats with the bow. I also shoot firearms in centre fire and muzzleloaders which has made me a little lazy but to get the stalking skills up the bow is perfect. I havent yet taken a deer with the bow but have done with the rifle I think the ultimate would have to be Sambar stag with the bow. Might happen one day. A 2 year old daughter and work tend to restrict the time available for stalking.

GQ snail
19th June 2012, 08:40 AM
Hay bud.

I'm looking at getting into bow hunting, need something new and exciting to do. Liking the concept of stalking a beast and skill involved in bow hunting. Dont have a weapon of choice yet, but going for couple trial days to see if I like it and what bow I need. Once set up would def be interested in doing a few trips.

growler2058
19th June 2012, 09:29 AM
Ive come across a 180lb crossbow for reeeel cheap so am gunna give that a crack to start.

Silver
19th June 2012, 02:36 PM
A mate, Queenslander, has a crossbow.

Up here it has to be registered like a firearm.

growler2058
19th June 2012, 02:39 PM
just need a reason down here.........phew ;-) As in target shooting or hunting. Is at the discrepency of the store also i believe. I'm purchasing privately.

macca86
19th June 2012, 05:04 PM
crossbow need a licence compound bow or long bow buy over the counter I believe

Timmo
4th January 2013, 12:18 AM
any one been out hunting over Xmas?

93patrol
4th January 2013, 12:30 AM
i used to go bow hunting funny enough i still have my martin cougar sitting at home all boxed up with arrows and all, i was a member of a club down here in boyanup that used to organise hunting trips and the like but i haven t been there in years

MEGOMONSTER
4th January 2013, 01:45 AM
i used to go bow hunting funny enough i still have my martin cougar sitting at home all boxed up with arrows and all, i was a member of a club down here in boyanup that used to organise hunting trips and the like but i haven t been there in years

What's a Martin Cougar????

93patrol
4th January 2013, 02:37 AM
a type of bow like this

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=827&tbm=isch&tbnid=u1t9AhB9KB3_OM:&imgrefurl=http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-trade/192003-compound-bow-trade-metal-detector.html&docid=T5vyVihzR3TTyM&imgurl=http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/treasure-related-stuff-trade/443376d1332436714-compound-bow-trade-metal-detector-img_0004.jpg&w=1600&h=1200&ei=fZ7lUOCpPMmjkQW624HICw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=225&vpy=126&dur=3687&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=179&ty=105&sig=107440723684536926684&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=197&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:90

growler2058
4th January 2013, 08:26 AM
I havent fired my new bow in anger yet. Gotta get up to a mates property for some bunnies and hopefully foxes