PDA

View Full Version : front hubs

wildgu6
2nd October 2010, 12:23 AM
Hi all,
Can someone explain the use of the front hubs on 98 patrol.
Has 2 settings, Lock and Auto. since ive had the vehicle it has been set on auto.
Can someone tell me what the lock setting is for and how to use it.

cheers

Maxhead
2nd October 2010, 08:18 AM
I think on AUTO the hubs only lock when the front driveshaft turns the front axles when 4H selected where on LOCK they are locked all time.

Someone else should be able to explain it better then me though.
Lot of people convert the auto hubs to manual and there is a thread/s on this forum if you look around

Cheers

NissanGQ4.2
2nd October 2010, 09:11 AM
YNOT is prolly the man to speak to about this

here is a post i have read of his
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&p=6103#post6103

as far as i know ( not much ) the auto locking hubs are just a lazy mans option of engaging 4wd *L* usefull when driving and come across something that you need to engage 4wd for. Simple select hi/low range and away you go....no need to get out and lock them in. The problem people have with them is they also unlock when 4wdriving in the auto position, auto hubs are designed to disengage when reversing - when venturing on sand or difficult terrain its always a good idea to get out and manually lock them in, especially when there may be a lot of reversing involved

Hope that helps and makes some sorta sense :)

Chops
2nd October 2010, 10:48 PM
When its selected to "Auto" the hubs lock once 4WD has been selected, and usually takes about a metre or so to engage. Manual locking locks them straight in, and you are better off selecting this option to reduce wear and failure.

YNOT
2nd October 2010, 11:00 PM
If you click on the link that toddrhind suggested, I have just edited it to add more information to the original post.

Tony

wildgu6
4th October 2010, 08:12 PM
Cheers buddy the link was very useful.
I have just returned from the Flinders in S.A, (October long weekend in S.A) with no dramas at all.
Was a great weekend and we conquered some pretty tricky tracks.
Very impressed with how the patrol handled itself in the rough stuff, but next time i might give the manual lock setting a try because some of the tricky bits could of caused me great pain if the hubs did let go.

cheers,
Pete

wildgu6
4th October 2010, 08:14 PM
Cheers Tony,
The link was very useful. much appreciated.
will give it a try next time out.

Cheers Pete