PDA

View Full Version : GQ clutch issue

gq4eva
13th May 2012, 01:56 PM
hi all, the old gq has an issue. When driving for a while, pedal rises and goes hard until eventually clutch wont disengage. She has a new master, slave and hose and ive bled the crap out of it and also sent to a mechanid for a shot of bleeding, i dont think its a bleeding issue. Any tips? cheers

gq4eva
13th May 2012, 01:59 PM
sorry, its a 4.2 injected petrol...

luvpsi
13th May 2012, 02:08 PM
im having a similar problem with my GQ TD42 clutch it fine but sometimes the clutch seems to go soft and engages pretty much on the floor and when i take my foot right off let it compltely rise it goes fine again i have bled it and changed fluid and still does it my master and slave cylinders are not leaking so im not sure what it is

Richo460
13th May 2012, 03:02 PM
next time it happens, see if you can get someone to check underneath and see if the clutch fork is moving or not, that might give a better indication of a problem.

gq4eva
13th May 2012, 03:03 PM
ok mate, will do . Cheers

AB
13th May 2012, 04:27 PM
x2 on checking the fork underneath for movement. I had similar issues above and it turned out the fork was slightly bent causing restriction...Easy fix!

97_gq_lwb
13th May 2012, 06:45 PM
Another thing to look at is the freeplay in the master cylinder make sure the piston is coming all the way back
I have seen this sort of thing on bikes over the years from the wrong lever being used it causes the brakes to eventually lock up.

eliurquhart
3rd July 2012, 08:07 PM
I have the same problem with my TD42

threedogs
3rd July 2012, 10:24 PM
You havn't dropped a spring off the pressure plate have you that makes'em spongy

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
4th July 2012, 09:26 AM
First question, did all this happen when you replaced the master cylinder etc? If so I would be looking at the free travel between the booster & master cylinder. Also look at the free travel between the pedal rod & booster. There must be clearance between all.

Next one, when the pedal goes hard, try cracking the bleeder and see what happens.

It appears to me that you have a booster/master cylinder problem if this only started after replacing parts.

You will also find that the Patrol's and 99.9% of other vehicle's pressure plate do not have springs in them, they have a diaphragm. The springs are found in the clutch plate to take up the shock loads that are applied during operation.

eliurquhart
6th August 2012, 11:47 PM
I had to get a new clutch booster as the diapharm in it was buggered, definitely check the play in the slave pin against the fork as this is a good indicator of a stuff up between the slave and master. I replaced the master at the same time as the slave and it was not a genuine part, worked alright and then it started building up pressure disengaging the clutch. I found out later that this is caused by some valve not releasing pressure, pedal went rock hard, Got a new 2nd hand clutch booster with master and all was good, serviced it and used parts of my old one and it now runs smooth and free. might be something along those lines maybe??