PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Man - Suspension

AB
11th May 2012, 08:56 AM
My brother is considering getting the Airbag Man suspension kit for the rear of his GU ute.

Has anyone got this or can anyone give any feedback on it at all???

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zk82-FDLaWg

MudRunnerTD
11th May 2012, 12:26 PM
You'd recon they'd shot the vid on a Dry day!!!

I know someone that actually had a really bad run with this setup and had it Cut Out...... They are in dispute with teh bloke that fitted it al up though. >it could have been in the setup rather than the product though bud so cant give you more than that.

taslucas
11th May 2012, 02:42 PM
A mate has firestone brand air bags in the rear of his GU wagon. It's his work vehicle so constantly has around 300 or so kgs in the back. They were 2nd hand when he got em and he's had them in for maybe 3 years without a problem so far.
A neat trick he did was to run the air lines up next to the fuel cap so they are hidden until you open it.

Tap, crackle, pop

AB
11th May 2012, 02:45 PM
A mate has firestone brand air bags in the rear of his GU wagon. It's his work vehicle so constantly has around 300 or so kgs in the back. They were 2nd hand when he got em and he's had them in for maybe 3 years without a problem so far.
A neat trick he did was to run the air lines up next to the fuel cap so they are hidden until you open it.

Tap, crackle, pop

Thanks guys, yeah this is maily used for work carrying loads as well and will be used for towing horse floats, trailers and boats, etc...

megatexture
11th May 2012, 02:51 PM
i have them in my hilux and could not be happier! Though mine aren’t like the ones in the vid, they look like a coil replacement mine are a bellow airbag and I’ve fitted onboard air to inflate on the go as my load changes so drastically from (100kg to 1.5ton) and allows me to adjust the left and right airbag independently so if the load is off centre can accommodate for that also. They improve the body roll alot also as i carry aluminium trestles every day also.

Only thing i can say to be aware of is the brake proportion valve, as when you pump up the airbag it adjust the brakes as though you have a lighter load. I’ve adjusted mine to be in favour of when I’m carrying a load

Ive never had any problem with airbag man products or herd of any1 i know haveing problems but a mate has boss i beleave don’t quote me on that but he has to pump his up a few times a week due to slight leaks

my air bags/pump have been in 2 hilux's and are 6yrs and 3 months old and no problems to date
here some picks of mine

AB
11th May 2012, 03:06 PM
Perfect, thanks for the info mate!!!

nissanluvr
13th May 2012, 04:18 PM
Hi there had a simialer setup in my gu ute was a good thing had some issues with bags tearing in the bush sticks and stuff and when fully flext would pull off sometimes. but great for loads and comfort.

megatexture
13th May 2012, 04:22 PM
Hi there had a simialer setup in my gu ute was a good thing had some issues with bags tearing in the bush sticks and stuff and when fully flext would pull off sometimes. but great for loads and comfort.

did your truck have a lift, was the airbags designed for a lift ?

nissanluvr
13th May 2012, 06:19 PM
yes had a 4inch lift and was proffesionly made and fitted for the ute was not a big issue just annoying dont no wether it was just the design why they pulled apart but theres allot of force there when it hits full flex quikly but as for the tearing from sticks and stuff seen allot of them do that. they were coil replacement ones to so not allot of protection for them.

megatexture
13th May 2012, 06:23 PM
ah ok i can understand the sticks/branches thats prity unlucky what brand are they ?

nissanluvr
13th May 2012, 06:34 PM
I thinck they were air ride or ride air something like that havnt had the ute for a couple of years could try and find out if you want to no exacly what they were

BigMav
13th May 2012, 07:39 PM
Just be careful when using air bags on leaf sprung vehicles not to overload them. I have seen more than one dual cab bend the chassis due to the airbags. Up at cape york I ran into a bloke and he had to have his trailer shipped back to Cairns because he bent his chassis in half, he was towing a camper trailer but didn't seem to have much gear in the tray at all. He told me that when he went to put it on the barge the guy loading it on said he sees at least half a dozen dual cab utes every season with the same problem. He said it was all makes and models but consistently dual cabs and nearly always they were using airbags to assist the rear leaves. In my opinion they create a pivot point where there is not designed to be one. Better off with some springs designed to take the load but I can see the advantages in airbags if you are not always carrying heaps of weight.

megatexture
13th May 2012, 10:57 PM
must be something with dual cabs then as mine has well and truly been overloaded, though i believe the damage occurs when ppl inflate to much when carrying a load i only put mine up to about 60 psi max when im fully loaded as bending the chassis rails had crossed my mind and i have heard rumours that it could so i don’t risk it but 30-60 psi is my range depending on load. ive done some good testing for hilux's not that toyota know and my conclusion is that they are breakable haha