PDA

View Full Version : Guard Cut to fit 35's on 2" lift... Anyone?

Spar
10th May 2012, 08:31 PM
Hey, i am a bit nervous about cutting my guards. It's not the sort of thing i can cover up if i stuff it up... I was wondering if anyone who has experiance doing this would consider helping me out for a slab of beer or two. Let me know, I am in Melton area (melbourne west).

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2012, 08:37 PM
how soon did you need to do it Spar?

Spar
10th May 2012, 08:43 PM
don't need it soon, was looking at getting new tyres and they are about 3 weeks away...

Spar
10th May 2012, 08:44 PM
I think they guard cuts will just give me enough room to screw on slares and flaps without the tyres hitting them.

AB
10th May 2012, 08:47 PM
It's always nerve racking Spar but if you can get your hands on a Nibbler and draw your line with a marker then it is almost impossible to stuff it up.

Nibblers are you best friend for cutting into your body. Even slow the drill down to speed 1 and you can just cruise through it, take your time.

You also need need to understand that you are folding the cut underneath afterwards to so any imperfections will not be seen.

You will however need to take your time and get the fold right. Also having saying that it will all be covered by your flares so don't stress too much mate....Rip into it!!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/171.jpg

Spar
10th May 2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks mate, does the paint come off when you fold it?

97_gq_lwb
10th May 2012, 08:59 PM
Paint is more flexible and less likely to be damaged when you hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun.

AB
10th May 2012, 09:03 PM
Whilst we're on the subject of 2" lift cutting front guard to fit 35' tyres....

I have thought of this myself many times but won't the 35 still rub hard on the inner arch badly with only the 2"???

I rub there with 33's and the 3" lift and regular see rub marks up there on 4" lifts, etc....Even Rossco's 3" lift and 2" body can get some rub marks up there.

Anyone???

Spar
10th May 2012, 09:14 PM
Depends on offset I guess. My rims have a fairly large offset and don't rub with 2" on the inner guard. The only rub is the back bottom of the guard when steering under pressure if I use flares. With the guard cut this should be good. Also I'm leaning towards extremes 35x11.5r15 so they will be smaller than the 12.5s on it at the moment.

Anyhow shouldn't be much difference between ur 33's and 35's run they are both 12.5 wide I would think.